Strange CD Printing Problem!

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
dan_uk_1984,...Just a few words of warning. You should be very causious about printing half a page of a solid color, especially if you have been seeing problems with any of your colors. My first RULE is I always try and resolve any printing problem by doing only nozzle check prints and/or replacing ink carts, refilling ink carts, or cleaning printheads. I know there are wonderful "PURGE" color test prints availabe, because I use they all the time myself. But I never use them anymore to examine or correct any type of printing problem. I use them to "PROVE" to myself that I've solved the problem and can proceed to print a top quality digital photo image. Also, when I do such a "COLOR Test" I only print an image the size of a 3"x5" picture, and this will not be a solid color but typically 4 to 6 colors.

The problem is when you print a large solid color, you're firing each and every nozzle in the head of one specific color, and you are doing this constantly for many inches of paper. If you have one or to nozzle that are clogged then repeated firing them will over heat them and you run the risk of burning out one nozzle. Now you think, "One Nozzle", what the heck, I have hundreds". But the problem is, one burn nozzle can kill your printhead. How do I know this,... I have about 5 burn heads to prove it. I should take some picture of them to show but the burn nozzle are so tiny, I can just see it with my 8X magnification glass. It is only one nozzle, but the hole it made causes the entire bank of yellow to fail because the hole destroys the vacuum suction to the entire bank. No suction,... no ink,... no printing.

The advantage of using the Nozzle check print is that it only fires each nozzle for a short period of time. You can also look at the print and see the results of each and every nozzle in the head. What else do you need. But once you know the head is OK, you can still have all kinds of color print problems because the ink carts are clogged and can't supply the ink, or you have a bad "Purge" unit and it can't suck enough ink to prime the printhead,... but that is a different problem for another day.