Strange CD Printing Problem!

richiep

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to this forum so I hope someone can help. My Canon Pixma 4000 will no longer print on CDs properly - the small black ink cartridge does not function in CD mode even though it prints fine on paper and when you do a Print Nozzle Check appears to be fine also.
Anyone got any ideas on this as I'm finding it very frustrating?

Cheers,

Richard

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
richiep,... If the nozzle check pattern and other printing is fine, then I would suggest that you un-install the printer and reinstall it. Download the latest driver from Canon. Now you must be in some other country than the USA and your printer has to be set for that country in the internal eeprom. What happens when you try and print a CD?

I modified my iP6600D using the typical instruction found on many web sites (just search in google for CD Tray), and I used the Service Mode to set the country code to United Kingdom even though I'm in the USA. I didn't even have to change my US driver. After I changed the country code I uninstalled the printer and re-installed the same driver again and it detected that it had been enabled for CD printing. It has worked fine since then and never failed yet. I use the standard Canon CD-LabelPrint software,..works great.

richiep

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks - yes I'm in the UK.
I'm sure the software is installed OK, and I am using the Canon CD software. It's just that for some reason or other black is not being printed onto the CDs even though nozzle checks indicate that the ink is printing properly.Printing on regular paper is fine too. It's been fine for the last 2/3 years and has only been playing up for the last couple of weeks.
I'm at a loss!

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
richiep,... The only other thing I can think of is that somehow you Canon color management drivers go over written or destroyed. Also, that are all kinds of controls in the CD LabelPrint software, maybe some of them have gotten out of wack. Remove it and reinstall that software. Go into the Windows Control panel>Printers& Faxes, and select your printer. Then right click on it and click on the properties. In that window select the Canon Color Management Tab and see what is installed.

For my Canon iP6600D I have CNBJPRN2 installed for my CD printer and works fine. Hope this helps

richiep

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well, I've reinstalled the drivers and the cd software and the Colour Management is the same as yours. Still no difference - can't understand why nozzle checks still indicate everything as OK.
I'm giving up!!

Many thanks though for your suggestions

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
richiep.,...The iP4000 has both pigment black and Dye black ink carts. The pigment black is only used for plain paper Text. I just checked all the settings that are automatic for my iP6600D, which is a 6 color Dye ink so it always prints in photo mode. The settings inside of CD-LabelPrint, and inside of of the printer properties are;
BJ Cartridge = Photo
Media Type = Printable Disk
Paper Source = CD Tray
Quality = Standard - Color
Color/Intensity = Auto
everything else = off

My question is, how do you know your black is not printing. Is it the image you are using that contains black,... did you add black text. Try printing just a standard photo. that is if you have an old printable coaster laying around. Other that this, I am lost too. Maybe someone else has had this problem before.

richiep

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi again - my settings are again the same as yours.

It's quite obvious that the black is not printing when you see the printed disc - also if you transfer the disc image onto paper it prints fine and you can see the difference. Also tried on a friends Epson R285 and its fine. As i said before when doing nozzle check prints they print out as though nothing is wrong. Just wish I could get to the bottom of this - must have happened to someone else?

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
richiep,... The only other thing I can think of is that the printer has some kind of detection sensor inside of it that scans the surface of the CD/DVD you are about to print and does some other adjustment. Have you changed the type of printable CD's/DVD you are using. There could be a problem with your sensor. One of the key items that is checked when a Service Test Print is done, is the CD Sensor, and a line is printed at the bottom of the page saying "CD Senor OK". Yours may be dirty or some other problem with it. I have taken apart dozens of printers but not any of the new Pixma series yet. I have about 15 of them and I will probably take apart one of them soon but most of them are in top condition and have only needed ink. I have to take one apart anyway to complete my repair manual for the iP4200 and when I do I will examine the CD Senor very closely. I have printed on two type of CD/DVD surfaces. One is very similar to Matte paper and the other is like a coated surface almost like being prepared with a sandblast. It makes the surface accept ink. Since you have no choice you will have to wait awhile as I'm on another project right now.

richiep

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks again for your advice.

zoki

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am from Croatia, and i have same problem like richiep on my ip4200