So why don't we just dial in sRGB

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
No, it has not prompted me to get the latest version of Adobe Raw. I was wondering about that as well. Having downloaded the 9.1 version the system has failed to take it up, needs further investigation.

As a matter of curiosity have you seen any mention of the ProPhoto option in your Canon/Adobe setup?

In LR
Edit>Preferences>External Editing and you will see a Menu to set your colour space etc.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
@3dogs, I see you have beaten me to it but, I was in process of posting:-

Answering my own question, I have a choice of ProPhoto, AdobeRGB or sRGB in Lightroom 6, under Edit, Preferences, External Editing. So LR operates in 16bit and passes ProPhoto on to Photoshop Elements 13 (or other external editor) if selected, or retains its full 16 bit colour spread if processing remains entirely in LR.

I find it strange that Adobe or just Canon seem reluctant to use the term "ProPhoto", instead preferring "16 bit".

Still haven't resolved the Raw 9.1 update issue. There are so many options in Lightroom there needs to be a training package on option selection.

Looking on the web, it seems that there are problems with RAW 9.1 not loading with Elements 13, so this may apply to LR as well.

Last edited:

nrdlnd

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
I can see the advantage of working in a bigger colorspace. In Capture One I can set the ProPhoto RGB. I do usually not use an external editor as I can do most of what I need in C1.

I make my printer profiles with ArgyllCMS. Has anyone used ProPhoto as a source in colprof with good result? What I wonder is what rendering intent to choose in the profile? I have used 'relative colorimetric' as it has given the best result for me from Adobe RGB. Does this work well from such a big colorspace as ProPhoto?

Per

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
@3dogs, I see you have beaten me to it but, I was in process of posting:-

Answering my own question, I have a choice of ProPhoto, AdobeRGB or sRGB in Lightroom 6, under Edit, Preferences, External Editing. So LR operates in 16bit and passes ProPhoto on to Photoshop Elements 13 (or other external editor) if selected, or retains its full 16 bit colour spread if processing remains entirely in LR.

I find it strange that Adobe or just Canon seem reluctant to use the term "ProPhoto", instead preferring "16 bit".

Still haven't resolved the Raw 9.1 update issue. There are so many options in Lightroom there needs to be a training package on option selection.

Looking on the web, it seems that there are problems with RAW 9.1 not loading with Elements 13, so this may apply to LR as well.

Seems so.
and...
Help>Update....select

Regret I have CC version so I cant actually walk through this with you.

On slow shut down........My terminally slow is to a count of TEN....that is starting at 1, then 2 and so on relatively slow, but quick enough that I do'nt forget what I am :eek: doing :he

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I can see the advantage of working in a bigger colorspace. In Capture One I can set the ProPhoto RGB. I do usually not use an external editor as I can do most of what I need in C1.

I make my printer profiles with ArgyllCMS. Has anyone used ProPhoto as a source in colprof with good result? What I wonder is what rendering intent to choose in the profile? I have used 'relative colorimetric' as it has given the best result for me from Adobe RGB. Does this work well from such a big colorspace as ProPhoto?

Per

These are difficult questions to answer casually in a couple of lines. I have attached a link to a discussion which may throw some light on this subject from a couple of years ago, but still current. Luminaries Jeff Shewe and Andrew Rodney are both participants. Lots of information in a few posts. Hope you find it useful.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=41878.0

Don't want to plug other websites, but Luminous Landscape, whilst not everybody's cup of tea, is worth a visit.

RS

nrdlnd

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Thank you for the link it was interesting! It didn't answer my question though. It was:
Of course I will make my own experiments but I wonder if someone else already have tried.
Per

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I am surprised that someone hasn't demonstrated the same image in each of the colour spaces and each of the rendering intents and both of the inks. :) Then of course they would no doubt use different profiles. I think the answer is use whatever pleases you.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Just ran an update on LR6 and now have LR6.1 and RAW9.1. Why it had not advised the update is not clear.

Last edited:

nrdlnd

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3880
I am surprised that someone hasn't demonstrated the same image in each of the colour spaces and each of the rendering intents and both of the inks. :) Then of course they would no doubt use different profiles. I think the answer is use whatever pleases you.
Strange this :idunno!

A lot of recommendations using ProPhoto RGB and then the answer is "I think the answer is use whatever pleases you." The thread is not about the recent update of Lightroom that I don't use but about what color space to use. Does anyone have own experiences of what I asked about?

Per

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I did the same what Elle Stone did - I scanned my computer for *sRBG*.ic* files, I didn't find 15 but 9 files of which 2 are duplicates in different directories, the files show different origins - Microsoft, HP, Apple, XRite, Adobe and others

http://ninedegreesbelow.com/about/about.html
http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/srgb-profile-comparison.html

Even 7 different of those are plenty, very counterproductive to have one only , the reading about the history and intentions with the sRBG-profil explains a lot

http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/srgb-history.html

I loaded 3 of my sRBG profile spaces into a profile viewer:

sRGB.jpg

and it shows they are all different, have a different volume and corner points, and the other 6 fall in between somehow, so viewing an image with one or the other color space actual colors may look different, and that all depends on the computer default settings, settings within the program you are viewing an image with and whether profile information is embedded in the image or not, no wonder that your displayed image may not match your printed image at all , for this and other reasons.
You may read more about sRBG and LCD screens
http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/srgb-bad-monitor-profile.html
http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/srgb-bad-working-space-profile.html

And if you are now interested even more in profiling there is more interesting material to read:
http://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/articles.html

And if that's getting too much on profiling you may divert for the galleries and just recognize that there is more than one sRBG color space