Service Tools for Canon Printers

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It looks like you are right. The EEPROM printouts are likely not fakes. Also the service manual also has a couple of pages from the parts catalog. see p17/18. The absorbers are pos. 14 and 15.

I downloaded the service tool v4718, even if it was more than 16MB and service tools are normally less than 1 MB. The download is a .rar archive which after unpacking contains this:

ST4718 content.jpg

That Start.exe looks highly suspect to me even if it was accepted by both AVG and MBAM. I think I will test the program, but not on my main computer,

Maybe we are slowly making progress re these newer service tools and printers? We have actually learned a lot since the start of this thread. :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I just tried your idea and sadly it didn't work.
Maybe it was a bad example to start with, this PDF is heavily protected and it took me a bit of time to translate it. This was page 4..
====================================================

Text translation
Source text

309 / 5000
Translation results

1. Error display/troubleshooting list
1-1. User operation error (alarm indicator flashes)
Errors and alarms are displayed in the following ways:
·User operation error is indicated by the number of flashes of the alarm indicator.
. The information during printing is displayed on the printer driver status monitor.
. The error code is printed in the "Operator operation error/maintenance error report" area in the EEPROM information printing.
Buttons that are effective when a user operation error occurs:
· ON button: Turn off the power of the machine and turn on the power again.
. C010r button: Clear the error and recover from an error. In some user operation errors, when the cause of the error is eliminated, the error is automatically cleared without pressing the C r button.
. stop button: cancel the job when the error occurred and clear the error.
Note: The following errors have been added to the MG36 open series:
Unsupported print setting (IVEC print setting error)

Capture 4.JPG

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
service tool v4718, even if it was more than 16MB
I saw that, too. easyFIXS has a thread on all Service Tools with a link to detailed page on Service Tool v.4718. I didn't include this initially as I thought you would see it while looking around the web site. We also had not yet gotten into the tools effectiveness let alone contents of the RAR.

https://easyfixs.blogspot.com/2019/09/service-tool-v4718.html

In it is a section describing this tool as a combination for several tools of the v.47xx variety. It is also in a wrapper known as "KelvenBox version 1.0". This is not your ordinary Service Tool as it contain not only Service Tool v.4718 but also Epson Printer Adjustment Program and and Epson Scanner Adjustment Program. It's a mystery to me why Epson is included. Suspicious - yes. A deal killer - not yet. May be worth a try on your isolated test computer.

The RAR passes scans for both Norton and Malwarebytes for me.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Following the procedure to open the "Kelven Box" I opened the service tool. It looked similar to version 4720 so it could very well be version 4718 as claimed. I tested it on an MG5150 that is of the PGI-525/CLI-526 generation so there was no risk of a locked service mode. I tried printing EEPROM info and an extended nozzle check and both worked.

After having tested the service tool I scanned the computer with AVG Internet Security and MBAM free version. Nothing wrong was found, so this version might be better than those version4720 that need an antivirus exception/disabling to avoid deletion/quarantining.

I think that a version 4718 will not work with printers newer than the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation so that doesn't answer the question if the MG3550 is resettable. For newer printers I would recommend the newest version service tool bought from Ebay, but if the newest tools are not fully backwards compatible is a good question.

@The Hat Nice translation job. Did you use the online OCR site or some software? If it was software was it then freeware, that I could download?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@The Hat Nice translation job. Did you use the online OCR site or some software? If it was software was it then freeware, that I could download?
Just a combination of, Illustrator then Photoshop then Illustrator again to hold onto the Chinese fonts, then save as PDF..

Even the fonts were heavily protected in their PDF file..
P.S. I just picked the first page that had text in it..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thanks for info. That is not exactly freeware, so I will use the OCR site linked to by @stratman . It gave a result very similar to yours. The only Adobe program I have is the free reader.

On install disk 2/2 for Canon MP970 there is a special version of the ScanSoft OmniPage SE 4 for bundling with scanners and multifunctional printers. I haven't tried if that software is compatible with Windows 10 and if it can read Chinese but I will give it a try.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I think that a version 4718 will not work with printers newer than the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation so that doesn't answer the question if the MG3550 is resettable.
The easyFIXS page specifically names the MG3550 as compatible and claims the entire MG3500 series is compatible. Proof of functionality is provided for the MG3500 in EEPROM images. I do not know if these EEPROM reports identify the Series line or the specific model number within the series. I also do not know if historically more than one version of a Service Tool has been required for the different model numbers within the same series.

https://easyfixs.blogspot.com/2021/03/how-to-reset-canon-mg3500-series-ink.html

1631188588692.png

1631188614131.png

1631188630941.png

It seems you do not agree. What fuels your reluctance that this Service Tool will not work to reset the MG3550 waste ink counter?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I mean my test only shows the service tool most likely contains no malware and most likely is the claimed version 4718 that is claimed to be able to reset an MG3550. I would like to see a forum post confirming that the service tool from easyFIXS can reset an MG3550.

@dagoat How about trying the service tool? I can give a detailed instruction for the entering service mode and reset procedure if needed. If your printer gets locked due to absorbers getting 100 % full the printer will be useless, so I think you have nothing to lose by trying the service tool.

We would all benefit from more knowledge about service tools and newer printers.