Service Tools for Canon Printers

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Canon printers newer than the PGI-x25/CLI-x26 cartridge generation cannot enter service mode by the user. At least there have been no reports about that. Your MX534 might be too new.

But even if you could enter service mode with it, changing the printer's region will not change the region of the needed cartridges. That's locked in the firmware. The region setting only determines what driver to install and sets the default standard paper formats.

Your printer will only work with cartridges from Canon region 4, meaning Africa, Middle East and Russia. So sadly you will have to buy cartridges from Region 4 or buy a new printer for Europe = Region 5.

Last edited:

kenki

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon E600
Here is the service tool V3600, again it will only work if your printer has actually entered service mode, so if you receive error code 005 or 006 from the Service Tool then your printer has not entered service mode and wont work.

Copy the zip file to your desktop and rename it service tool v3600. exe, don’t try and unzip it because it is not a zip file.
View attachment 4415 This is how it should look AFTER you have renamed the File..

Be careful please because this service tool can be destructive so use it very carefully..
1604918937023.png

why after change to exe file show this and cant open it

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It looks to me like there is a space between the point in the file name and exe. I think that is causing the problem. Compare the icon in The Hat's post #5. Notice no space.

I just downloaded the file, renamed it to .exe and the file type is recognised and the file works.

ST3600 renamed.jpg

Notice no extra space.

Renaming the file type to ". exe" by adding a space causes the file to no longer be recognised by Windows, and the icon is now "Unknown file type". I think this error is independent of Windows version.

ST3600 renamed w space.jpg

Last edited:

piplicas

New Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX882
Hi, I am new to this forum and I wanted to thank The Hat for cleverly posting the Canon Service Tool Version 3600. I have a Canon MX882 that issued the dreaded 5B00 error message, Ink Absorber Full. I was able to find an applicable Service Manual online, and used it as a guide to disassemble the printer. The twelve ink absorber pads were saturated with ink and solid ink particles were piled up underneath the print head. I cleaned the pad with dish soap and water, allowed them to dry and then carefully cleaned and reassembled the printer. But I still received the 5B00 error message. I was about to purchase a new printer and then I found this forum with the Canon Service Tool "ZIP" file. I was able to rename the file as instructed. I then put the machine into the Service Mode and using the Service Tool, I carefully reset the waste counter to zero. I was a little worried when I saw some of the dropdowns were in Japanese! I restarted the printer and ran a bunch of tests and all functions are working well. My special thanks to The Hat, even though it's been four years since his posting.

dagoat

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma MG3550
hi,

do you have a service tool for canon pixma MG3550?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Maybe, maybe not. The two cartridge printers are considered "disposable" printers, but a Google search on "Canon MG3550 service tool" gives multiple service tools that allegedly work with this specific printer, some with free downloads and others that link to gibberish. Suspicious or the pot 'o' gold at the end of the rainbow? :idunno

Even the eBay Service Tool v.5510 is confusing in that it states it does not reset the ink absorber counter with the MG30XX series and then goes on to list some specific MG30XX model printers as compatible. More to the point, the ad does not reference the MG3550 at all. :barnie

I leave these voodoo service tools to the king of service tools, @PeterBJ , for final verdict.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't know more than you do about the newer two cartridge printers and service tools. I only know what has been reported on the forum. Here is a thread about a likely not resettable/disposable printer. I think @The Hat might very well be right about all newer 2 cartridge Canon printers being not resettable/disposable.

The service tools might get EEPROM info from these printers for instance for checking if the printer is still in warranty. If the service tool can get this info and probably also make an extended nozzle check, then I think it is compatible with the printer, so I think we cannot claim the seller is lying, even if the service tool is useless for resetting the printer..

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100
The service tools might get EEPROM info from these printers for instance for checking if the printer is still in warranty. If the service tool can get this info and probably also make an extended nozzle check, then I think it is compatible with the printer, so I think we cannot claim the seller is lying, even if the service tool is useless for resetting the printer..
Yes you are right. I checked this with a IP2850 a while ago. You get access to some things, but you can't do much. Maybe there are some tricks for Canon service people we don't know.