Service Mode Locked on Canon PIXMA MG6450

depanninfo06

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G4500
Hello, A customer gave me a Canon PIXMA MG6450 printer to reset the ink meter. I found no problem handling to enter the service mode. Unfortunately, when I do this procedure (6 times for the MG Series), nothing happens neither on the printer nor on the computer, I think my client tinkering (because he tried to do it himself ( blocked the service mode so I defer to you, do you have the solution? In addition I can run the printer by pressing 4 times instead of 6 but it's temporary, as soon as I turn it off, it's gone for error 5B00. thank you in advance

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If you were able to enter Service Mode then you need to use a Service Tool in order to make changes, such as resetting the waste ink counter to get rid of the B500 error. You might also consider changing the waste ink pads at the same time, wash and dry the original pads, or place the printer in a pan that can catch any overflow ink that might occur if the waste ink pads are not changed or cleaned.

Others on the forum will need to advise you on which version of the Service Tool you will need to use. In the meantime, read the complete thread here.

depanninfo06

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G4500
Thanks for answering but i can t enter in service mode, the LCD screen just stay black, i think service mode is locked. What can i do for this ?
I already cleaned all pads before all of operations

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
i can t enter in service mode
If Service Mode is locked then you will either have to send the printer to an authorized Canon service center or buy a new printer if you are unable to use the current printer..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think service mode might not necessarily be locked. I think your procedure with pressing the Stop/Resume button 6 times for entering service mode is wrong. Instead use this procedure, from a service manual and slightly edited to make it more clear. But even with the proper procedure nothing shows the printer has entered service mode, the display stays dark.

i. With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons).
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the Power and Resume/Cancel button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the Power button.)
iii. While holding the Power button, press and release the Resume/Cancel button 5 times, and then release the Power button. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green,
starting with Alarm LED.)
iv. When the Power LED lights steadily in green, the printer is ready for the service mode operation.

This procedure works for printers of the PGI-x25/CLI-x25 and PGI-x50/CLI-551 cartridge generations. I have tested it with iP7250, MG5450 and MG5550 all are the PGI-x50/CLI-551 cartridge generation. Your MG6450 is the same cartridge generation, so I am sure the procedure will work.

For service mode operations you will need a service tool like v 4720 or newer. The use of an older service tool like v3400 will cause lock of service mode. A locked service mode shows a constantly lit error light when trying to enter service mode and the printer will be totally unresponsive. you need to disconnect the printer from the mains and wait for maybe a minute before turning the printer on again. Now only normal user mode is possible.

You find a download of the service tool v 4720 here. Notice that the downloaded tool contains malware according to some antivirus programs and Virustotal. It might be a false warning though. See a discussion about this in this lengthy thread.

The procedure for using the service tool v4720 for resetting the ink absorber in a PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation printer is the same as for the service tool v3400 on a printer of the PGI-x25/CLI-26 generation, so see this instruction.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions about service mode operations for the MG6450.

depanninfo06

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon G4500
I think service mode might not necessarily be locked. I think your procedure with pressing the Stop/Resume button 6 times for entering service mode is wrong. Instead use this procedure, from a service manual and slightly edited to make it more clear. But even with the proper procedure nothing shows the printer has entered service mode, the display stays dark.

This procedure works for printers of the PGI-x25/CLI-x25 and PGI-x50/CLI-551 cartridge generations. I have tested it with iP7250, MG5450 and MG5550 all are the PGI-x50/CLI-551 cartridge generation. Your MG6450 is the same cartridge generation, so I am sure the procedure will work.

For service mode operations you will need a service tool like v 4720 or newer. The use of an older service tool like v3400 will cause lock of service mode. A locked service mode shows a constantly lit error light when trying to enter service mode and the printer will be totally unresponsive. you need to disconnect the printer from the mains and wait for maybe a minute before turning the printer on again. Now only normal user mode is possible.

You find a download of the service tool v 4720 here. Notice that the downloaded tool contains malware according to some antivirus programs and Virustotal. It might be a false warning though. See a discussion about this in this lengthy thread.

The procedure for using the service tool v4720 for resetting the ink absorber in a PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridge generation printer is the same as for the service tool v3400 on a printer of the PGI-x25/CLI-26 generation, so see this instruction.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions about service mode operations for the MG6450.
Thanks for helping me but i gived up. I think my customer need to send in canon repair center, and I tried the "6 times" method on mg5650 and it worked.
nevermind
Thx again