Searching for inkjet paper similar to traditional silky

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
Hope someone can help with this;
I really like the texture and feel of a paper that used to be utilized a lot in the past in traditional wet-process minilabs, namely the Kodak Supra "Y" surface Silk.
For those that don't know what that is, it's got very pronounced, deep and regular texture, you can feel it easily by scratching it with a fingernail, and it's also not overly glossy:

Anybody knows of a similarly textured inkjet compatible paper?
Of those named "silky", there is of course the Ilford silk, but that's very different, almost smooth compared to the "Y".
There's also a silky paper made by Inkpress but I can't seem to find photos of its surface or a sample pack, maybe someone using it could share some info?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
costadinos said:
Hope someone can help with this;
I really like the texture and feel of a paper that used to be utilized a lot in the past in traditional wet-process minilabs, namely the Kodak Supra "Y" surface Silk.
For those that don't know what that is, it's got very pronounced, deep and regular texture, you can feel it easily by scratching it with a fingernail, and it's also not overly glossy:

[url]http://s3.postimage.org/y0fk1qjin/300px_Silk_micro.jpg[/url]

Anybody knows of a similarly textured inkjet compatible paper?
Of those named "silky", there is of course the Ilford silk, but that's very different, almost smooth compared to the "Y".
There's also a silky paper made by Inkpress but I can't seem to find photos of its surface or a sample pack, maybe someone using it could share some info?
I dont think youll get an answer to your quest on this forum,
Youd better off trying a Photography forum like Dpreview.com for instance.. :)

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
This was asked before quite a while ago and if I remember correctly, there isn't an inkjet equivalent that comes close to that old surface stype. I also did use it in the 60 and 70s but I have yet to see it in modern ink jet papers.
I guess tastes have changed.

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
Thanks for the replies guys!
I did try asking on photo.net or dpreview some time ago if I recall, but didn't get any useful replies.
Us on this forum are obviously less worried of wasting ink, so experimenting with a lot of different papers should be a bit easier on our wallets than the OEM ink guys :)

The particular paper is actually still very popular among the photographers with a traditional minilab where I live (that and the Fuji equivalent).
I'm only using inkjets myself, but I had clients asking for it, and even though I find pearl/luster superior, having that as a choice would be nice...