Samsung laser printer ML-2850D: Toner leaking; anything I can do?

blablubb1234

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsung ML-2850D
Hi,

I have two toners (ML-D2850B/X/L) for the ML-2850D flying around showing the same problem.

The printing picture itself is okay, however I have black vertical stripes/smear in the background:
Ausruck_ok.png

Somewhat okay-ish.
Ausdruck_gestreift.png

Stripes/Smear in the background (after one previous print)
On the opened drum I can see these stripes as well:
IMG_20211222_231159.jpg

Residual toner on the drum
IMG_20211222_231457.jpg

Residual toner on both drum an (transfer?) roll
IMG_20211222_231537.jpg

Residual toner even outside the actual drum area
When cleaning and turning the drum, both adjacent rolls keep transferring toner back on the drum. Thus, I can never really fully clean the drum. After thoroughly cleaning (as good as possible) the drum, I get 1 or 2 halfways okay-ish printouts and afterwards I'm back with the smeared background/vertical lines.

I assume one of the blades used for either removing residual toner after a printout or limiting the amount of toner while printing is worn out. Is this a realistic assumption?

If so: Is there anything I can do about this situation (replacing the blades, ...)?

If not: What could be the problem and is there anything to do about it?

Thanks and best regards.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have two toners (ML-D2850B/X/L) for the ML-2850D flying around showing the same problem.
I can’t understand why you should be having so much problems with you Canon laser printer ?. Question:- are you using compatible toner or OEM because that has a lot to do with many of the issues your having, and also have you tried cleaning the Corona wire..

blablubb1234

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsung ML-2850D
I can’t understand why you should be having so much problems with you Canon laser printer ?.
First of all, as stated, it's a Samsung laser printer.
Question:- are you using compatible toner or OEM because that has a lot to do with many of the issues your having, and also have you tried cleaning the Corona wire..
It is a compatible toner. I can't find any instructions on how to clean the corona wire, I can't see it anywhere. However, I highly doubt it has to do with the corona wire (given the pictures of the dirty drum and the fact I can't really clean it).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
First of all, as stated, it's a Samsung laser printer.
Yes my mistake, I should have said Samsung...
When you switch to compatible toner it has a tendency to do that, and I mentioned the Corona wire because if it’s dirty, that can cause the same issues your having, it’s uses a manual cleaning tab.. No instructions needed..

I have a 20 year old Samsung printer myself and it never has any issues because I only use OEM toner..

Here is a Pic of a Brother print toner cartridge, it shows where to look for the location of the Tab to clean your Corona wire, I hope it helps because the alternative is a replacement drum and cartridge..
toner2.JPG click to enlarge..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What have you done to resolve your issues? Be specific.

Do you refill your toner?

This most comprehensive troubleshooting video on laser problems I've seen:

Prepare yourself to buy a new drum and toner.

blablubb1234

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsung ML-2850D
Yes my mistake, I should have said Samsung...
When you switch to compatible toner it has a tendency to do that, and I mentioned the Corona wire because if it’s dirty, that can cause the same issues your having, it’s uses a manual cleaning tab.. No instructions needed..
I know, but I can't see the corona wire in this particular toner/drum unit without disassembling.
I have a 20 year old Samsung printer myself and it never has any issues because I only use OEM toner..
Okay, doesn't help me right now though.
Here is a Pic of a Brother print toner cartridge, it shows where to look for the location of the Tab to clean your Corona wire, I hope it helps because the alternative is a replacement drum and cartridge..
View attachment 13432
Looks very different on a ML-2850D toner/drum unit unfortunately. I'll probably try disassembling the older of both cartridges and see if I can spot the corona wire anywhere.
What have you done to resolve your issues? Be specific.
I thought I was: I tried cleaning the toner/drum unit, without success as there's always leftover toner being transferrred back on the drum immediately after turning it in any direction.
Do you refill your toner?
No, compatible toner as mentioned above.

This most comprehensive troubleshooting video on laser problems I've seen:

Prepare yourself to buy a new drum and toner.
Watched the videos already, that's why I mentioned the blades probably being damaged and the question whether there's anything one can do (like f.e. disassembling and cleaning them).

Thanks for the advice....

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
whether there's anything one can do (like f.e. disassembling and cleaning them).
There should be no disassembling needed to locate and use the Corona wire cleaning tab, anyway if you purchase the official Samsung toner cartridge you get a free drum with it, and that will solve all your bad printing issues..
P.S. A laser printer should be just used and never interfered with, it’s not like an inkjet printer..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I thought I was:
No you were not and still are not. Be specific means what was the procedure done - I used X and did Y, not the generic description of the entire process.

Did you do the following?

He's "cleaning" the drum, too. Toothpaste may have silica in it. That can scratch a drum. Bad idea.

We don't read minds and we are not there to examine things. Hence, be specific on "cleaning".

No, compatible toner as mentioned above.
People have refilled aftermarket toner units.

Watched the videos already,
Having watched the videos already you should know the approximate cause of your issue and what the potential solutions are.

You've looked at your User Manual for troubleshooting info, right? You can find a Service Manual for your printer model using Google. It may have more troubleshooting details than your User Manual. There is also a Parts manual for your printer using Google that lists part numbers.

If you cannot properly clean the rollers and drum, or their are defects noted after cleaning, then you will need a new drum. Replace the toner with a new one. If the drum and toner come as one package as @The Hat said then great. Hopefully back to happy printing.

blablubb1234

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsung ML-2850D
There should be no disassembling needed to locate and use the Corona wire cleaning tab, anyway if you purchase the official Samsung toner cartridge you get a free drum with it, and that will solve all your bad printing issues..
Yeah of course, same goes for buying a new printer... still not what I want to do. I looked in both the user guide and the service manual, both don't even mention the procedure on how to clean the corona wire. I can't find any video, instructions or guides on how to clean the corona wire on that printer or its toner/drum unit neither, so I can't try it (unfortunately).
P.S. A laser printer should be just used and never interfered with, it’s not like an inkjet printer..
That's what I did, until the issues occured.
No you were not and still are not. Be specific means what was the procedure done - I used X and did Y, not the generic description of the entire process.

Did you do the following?

He's "cleaning" the drum, too. Toothpaste may have silica in it. That can scratch a drum. Bad idea.
No, I did not.
We don't read minds and we are not there to examine things. Hence, be specific on "cleaning".
I followed this video for cleaning the toner/drum unit except for not using isopropyl alcohol or water but just dry paper cloths (and not refilling toner, obviously).

The printing errors now look a bit different: The first unit shows repeating (35,2 mm distance) black marks on the left side, the second unit shows horizontal white stripes across the entire page.
Ausdruck_wiederholende_Muster.png

Black marks in a distance of 35,2 mm
Ausruck_weiss_gestreift.png

White vertical lines across the entire page
People have refilled aftermarket toner units.
From what I can tell it is not refilled. It came sealed and everything, something the like.
Having watched the videos already you should know the approximate cause of your issue and what the potential solutions are.
Well, I tried, but I'm not a toner expert but rather a regular user, that's why I made the post.
You've looked at your User Manual for troubleshooting info, right? You can find a Service Manual for your printer model using Google. It may have more troubleshooting details than your User Manual. There is also a Parts manual for your printer using Google that lists part numbers.
I found the service manual and on page 58 it states that if repeated spots appear in 35,2 mm distance the developing roller has to be checked. So I'll disassemble that unit once more and try to clean the developing roller (is the guy in the video referring properly to developing cylinder?).

On page 73 of the service manual reasons for vertical white lines are explained. IMHO LSU, Fuser and dirt on the cartridge window can be ruled out as they are the same when I use the other cartridge (and the issues change). So, transfer roller and toner cartridge roller are left over for possible reasons. However, I can't find the transfer roller (it's not where the service manual states it is) and the toner cartridge roller is mentioned nowhere else in the service manual. Can you guide me to where they are found?
If you cannot properly clean the rollers and drum, or their are defects noted after cleaning, then you will need a new drum. Replace the toner with a new one. If the drum and toner come as one package as @The Hat said then great. Hopefully back to happy printing.
They do come in one package and I'm quite aware that this a new one will solve the issues. However, throwing away and buying new toner/drum units was not what I was aiming for, otherwise I would not have written the post to begin with.

Last edited:

blablubb1234

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Samsung ML-2850D
Quick update for those who are interested:

I exchanged the developing roller of the cartridge that had repeating patterns with the one from the cartridge that vertical white stripes (but no repeating black patterns). Lo and behold, one cartridge is working fine again.
IMG_20211227_124631.jpg
For replacement drums and rollers I was advised to contact Delacamp, in case somebody else might need spare parts. I'm excited to see if they're able to deliver a drum and roller (I will report back).

What I don't quite understand: The developing roller (if defective) produces repeating patterns in a distance of 35,2 mm, however, the roller has a larger perimeter (~45 mm). How can that be?! :D

Cheers

Latest posts