RKS Chip resetter aka Redsetter review and battery mod.

Igorian

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Smile,
Thanks for chip info. it will be difficult any way. Better to by one.

drthv8r

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I know this is an old post but I wanted to thank the OP for posting the instructions on how to change the battery on the chip resetter. My chip resetter hasn't been used all that much but tonight when I went to reset the chips in the ink cartridges the light wouldn't work. It was heading to the trash can. Luckily I found this forum and I had a spare 2032 battery laying around and the resetter is back up and working once again.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I just received email notification that my thread saved a red-setter when battery was dead to a fellow forum member.
I recently have made an external battery mod, because as you know the advertised resets of 1500 was not truth. There is a thread on thi forum where somebody measured current drain with multiplier and found out that is even out of spec for cr2032 battery used.

Later versions supposedly are better made, but here is my cheap and simple mod for external AA battery.

1. You have to solder two wires to plus, and minus terminals.

01.jpg

2. Then you have to add a port into the redsetter, by design there is free space on the side
I had to cut one of the posts but if I designed it better I would not had to do it. I designed that the receptacle port is centered.

02.jpg

3. Use AA battery holder to hold batteries, add a jack and use heat shrink tubing for wires.

03.jpg

4. Put everything back together and use double sided tape to glue it in place

04.jpg

5. Assembled view 1

05.jpg

6. Assembled view 2

06.jpg

Hope it helps someone to build it once it becomes a headache to change the batteries !

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi Smile

I have also modified my power hungry first generation PGI-5/CLI-8 original Redsetter to use two alkaline AA cells: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=62321#p62321 . Instead of using connectors I just soldered the wires from the battery box to the CR2032 battery holder terminals.

I guess your Redsetter is also of the first generation, and that's why you modified it? I did some testing and found that Redsetters of the first generation draw approximately 12 mA when doing a reset, while the newer Redsetters only draw approximately 5mA. The 12mA seems to be a too high load current for a CR2032 according to some data sheets, 5mA is a more reasonable load. This explains the problem with battery life for the first Redsetters. Link here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=61720#p61720

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Yes this is 1st gen redsetter.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Worth also noting that the newer Redsetters include models with USB and external power pack jacks so you don't necessarily need to modify yourself.

... and just as a follow on there's also All-in-one (AIO) units that reset all PGI-5/CLI-8's through to PGI-525/CLI-526 (or US equivalents) for those who want it all in one package :)

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
My battery mod is very simple: I put a spare battery inside the resetter just to have one at hand:
P1020952kl.JPG
..but it won't stop to reset with the first battery, after hundreds of resets...
For CLI-8/PGI-5, chip from NEC, base plate with 2 screws, bought 2010 for around 10euros.