RKS Chip resetter aka Redsetter review and battery mod.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Here is my promised review:

Features from the official site:

This is a high-quality, professional longevity module with multiple exceptional and additional features that are necessary for a reliable and secure operation. Only RKS guarantees these additional features:
• Extremely fast reprogramming of the original chip - in about 5 seconds.
• Simultaneous inspection of the chip memory storage that guarantees data reset to prevent future printing errors and a potential data loss and loss of warranty claims against the printer manufacturer.
• Chip-Safety-Task: Prevents faulty programming or short circuits. Aborts programming process or the power supply or any other technical disturbances like damage or destruction of the original chip.
• Module protection: Protects the RKS InkControl-ReSetter contacts from damage by short circuits.
• Easy and safe to handle, all programmable functions are fully automatic.
• Suitable for permanent and continuous operation.
• Extremely efficient: Can be reprogrammed up to 1500 times per battery (battery already inserted)!
• Suitable for all CLI-8… cartridges as well as the >big black< PGBK cartridge
• Future-oriented: Suitable for CLI-8 products like >Photo Cyan, Photo Magenta< as well as the new CLI-8-Red and CLI-8-Green Tanks.
• Special adapter for direct reprogramming of chips in RKS Chip-Extenders, therefore no more chip modifications with compatible cartridges in connection with RKS Chip-Extenders will be necessary.

1. Unpacking:

01.jpg

I received the shipment in 10 days that is acceptable because shipping was done by normal post services and not DPD, UPS etc. At least in my country post services ir very slow :(

As you can see from photo shipping was handled by: Airmail - Deuche Post.

02.jpg

This is the back of the package, where you can see some dents. I hoped it would be packaged in a box but Germans decided that is too expensive?

03.jpg

Here you can see the same dent in other angle that better reveals the possibility of damage to the goods and that one should package them very good.

04.jpg

At last I unpacked the the goods and”

1. Resetter that is actually a RedSetter.
2. RKS-Technick sales invoice.

2. The device:

05.jpg

Here you can see how the device looks like. And that there is included printed instructions on how to use the device in:

• English
• German
• French
• Italian
• Spanish

However RKS Technick claims that they will send you manual on CD and that I will contain manual in German and eight other languages. They also show incorrect picture on their website of black box resetter device.

Update: now 2008-07-01 they show black redsetter like device, perhaps it’s just black and white photo of the redsetter?

06.jpg

You can see the resetter from top position here the red plastic bracked you see next to it is used for CLI-8 cartridges and once removed you can reset larger PGI-5/PGBK.

08.jpg

Here is a photo how it looks on the bottom side.

09.jpg

And here we see assembled unit ready for work :)

3. Inside:

chip.jpg

Inside we have a microchip PCB with a coin type 3V Lithium battery – CR2032.
RKS claims it is valid up to 1500 resets. I measured it’s 3.3volts without load.

Math exercise:

That should be enough for 250 complete ink changes if you printer has 6 ink carts.
Since 1 ink cartridge container has ~13ml of ink, 6 will have 78ml.
250 times x 78ml = 19500ml that is 19.5Litres of ink :)

This means that even if it lasts for 750 resets 2 times less it should outlast your printer.

chip2.jpg

This is how the PCB looks like on bottom side.

4. RKS resetter a.k.a RedSetter battery replacement mod.

01.jpg

Using a knife or other sharp tool and a steady hand you must insert it about in the middle of the device (there is no glue) and carefully slide the knife to the corner.

02.jpg

Now carefully twist the knife to the side to snap or pull out if it is badly glued the plastic pins that holds the cover.

03.jpg

This is how it looks open. You can see 4 plastic pins that holds the cover.
In my case 2 was removed and another two broke.

06.jpg

Use a knife to carefully cut the plastic where the screw will later go.

07.jpg

When you are done it should look like this.

08.jpg

Now we need to remove the broken plastic because we will use screws to hold our cover.
Use a drill bit that is 2.2 millimeters.
Be careful not to drill too deep, use a hand drill not electric.

09.jpg

You can see how it needs to look like when you are done.

10.jpg

It’s time to make some holes for screws in the cover. For this task we will use standard computer screws and drill bit that is 3.2 millimeters.

11.jpg

As I said above we use standard computer screws that are made for plastic. You can ask for these in any computer store tech. department :)

12.jpg

The glory of how it looks once we put all parts together. It looks like it was made like this in the factory LOL.

13.jpg

Here is another close up picture. Now you can change the battery anytime you need.
Optional thing is to add rubber pads so the device would not slip on the table.

Pros:

• Cheap world-wide shipping just 6 euros
• Works as expected. Can reset released cartridges and yet to be empty.
• Works with CLI-8 products like Photo Cyan, Photo Magenta as well as the new CLI-8-Red and CLI-8-Green Tanks.
• Easy and safe to handle, all programmable functions are fully automatic

Cons:

• Better packaging is needed to protect the goods from damage during shipping.
• Battery should be changeable by design it is possible to use screws not glue.
• Bad marketing strategy - customer orders one device and receives another a.k.a false advertising.

Overall 4.5 stars form 5 - Very Recommended

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Smile,

Excellent, excellent post, you'd qualify for Froggy's Golden Lillipad Award, if it existed. I've not opened my Redsetter, but from the outside it is exactly the same as the RKS device, I got mine from the www.patronenhandel.de site but it came in a 6.5x3.5x3.5" box in an airmail package, but I had got the the inks with it.

The image on the RKS website to my eyes is a B&W image of a Redsetter, agreed they have a strange marketing strategy.

Loved the ink calculation... I'm assuming that the device was made without an interchangeable battery because it would outlast the printer for an average user.

Great review.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Froggy said:
Smile,

..........., I got mine from the www.patronenhandel.de site but it came in a 6.5x3.5x3.5" box in an airmail package, but I had got the the inks with it.

I also got mine from this site ,without the ink , it came in a similar size strong carton , , adequately packaged.

I too think this illustrated post on the base plate conversion is exceptional , and should be what we all would like to aspire to. I now have no reservations about eventually replacing the battery. WELL DONE SMILE !!!!.

Gompy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Congrats with your very detailed report Smile, it'll be a great help for those people who are still in doubt with this redsetter.
You brought me a good idea with those screws because I broke one of that plastic pins.
I'll cut the others also and do it the way you did, looks very "professional " ... :rolleyes:

Regards, Gompy

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Very useful info... Now if you could do that for my car... ;)

... thanks for sharing anyways... nice to know I'm not alone in pulling stuff together :)

Ken_CW_Honolulu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
We ordered one of these and it arrived recently. Haven't tested it out yet, but I find your post extremely helpful as I'm pretty sure I'll be needing to replace the battery at some point. :cool:

blue4ever

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I got one but the battery ran flat after about 10 resets. Not impressed at all. I have got a new one now which is a redsetter but with a USB power supply. Much better!

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
blue4ever said:
I got one but the battery ran flat after about 10 resets. Not impressed at all. I have got a new one now which is a redsetter but with a USB power supply. Much better!
This sounds like an interesting new development. Please let us know where you got this and post a picture or two, please.

Ta

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Froggy said:
blue4ever said:
This sounds like an interesting new development. Please let us know where you got this and post a picture or two, please.

Ta
This is not a new development. There are actually 2 type of Redsetters. One operated by battery (which is cheaper) while another one operate by power adapter (obviously much more expensive cost about '50+++' Euros.). But they are still the same Redsetters. I can't remember the details of the articles.

So it's not surprising why people opted for the one with the battery since in the article, it say it can reset 500 times & the battery can be replaced by self modifying it.

Froggy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
OK, thanks for that, I was unaware of the other Redsetter model. But now we have seen 2 Redsetters with a high battery drain problem. Something to keep an eye on.