Ressurection of Pixma PRO-1

Octopus

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-1, Wanhao 4S
Yes Palombian, I am a bit late with the pro1. I was reading alot and was deciding between the two. But somehow I thought after all reading that pro1 is a better printer in terms of quality, bigger cartridges, so a decision was made. The other candidate was Prograf 1000 but I have very limited space for now in my flat, the printer is here 10cm away on my left and I sleep in the same room with computers, printer, 3d printer (I ventilate the room when it works)... not the best, but oh well.

Hat, how do I know what firmware it is? I want to check it it is possible to reset, because if it is, then I am prepared to invest something in this printer. If not, I am really feeling like I have a ticking bomb- Imagine buying a new head and after 2 A4 prints, it decides that it is full... I really do not want that.
The receipt dates into november 2013, so it is an early version.

Octopus

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-1, Wanhao 4S
The funny thing is that I already checked that when I have seen it on prints of other users- but my nozzle check has nothing printed but the nozzle check?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
but my nozzle check has nothing printed but the nozzle check?
I can’t remember how to bring up the firmware version other than by printing it from the EPROM readout.. you maybe lucky or not…it’s no place to go without experience or help..

Octopus

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-1, Wanhao 4S
Ha!
So probably I threw even more cash down the drain filled with fire and monsters.... but I BOUGHT A NEW PRINTHEAD from C1 supplies! It just arrived today.
I couldn´t let the old girl die, it is sitting here right next to me on the desk and frustrating me alot, taking up space... so we decided to go for it.

The hat, can you send me the procedure of changing it? Thank you!

BTW: Just before i bought this printhead from C1 I have seen an advertisement for a "new" unused one on our web, the advertisement was one month old and overdue, but I called the guy since it was unbelivable to me that someone has it in slovenia, a country of 2 milion people, brand new right for this printer.
I called the guy, he said he has it still, brand new. Wanted 200€.
After few weeks he finally changed his mind for 100, not less since he said it is new.
Went there, gave the money took the box, opened... unsealed printhead, and guess what? The blue cyan opening had visible signs of leaking... So that is third PRO1 printhead that I know with leaking cyan... And also the "openings" where it prints were all dirty of old ink...
So I was smart enough to not obey his wish to exchange by some shop and went back to his home, took my money back. He insisted that it is new, he was fixing printers for his job. Yeah right.
Seems like leaking cyan is a problem here after years. Will see what hapens, fingers crossed!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The easy way is to check the bottom of your nozzle print, it may be printed there..
Why would you need the head removal procedure when you don’t have a new print head..?
You still haven’t provided the nozzle check of your print out as requested... ?

Octopus

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-1, Wanhao 4S
I said that the new print head just arrived today from C1 supplies, brand new, sealed. I have it here, but not sure how to swap it.

I wanted to buy it from the guy I mentioned first, but it was not new as he stated. I wrote that story down, because his head was also obviously leaking cyan. And the other user here I talked about, on this forum also discovered that his head leaked cyan. So it seems like after years this might be more common problem of this printer, which can be valuable information for others.

And I also sayd in post #23, that my nozzle check has nothing else printed but the nozzle check. I have already seen before on the forum by other users, that theyr nozzle checks have firmware and some numbers and wondered why mine hasn´t.
Here, these are some of my nozzle checks- the blue one is the last thing I managed to print:
https://imgur.com/EDsYyyg