removing print head on Canon i550x printer

nicola

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
hello, i was very happy to come across your website as my printer has ceased to print black and i've been told i may need to spend lots of money on a new print head. it would be great to prolong the life of my printer and i intend to find some compressed air to unblock the black print head. my concern is removing the casing that the head sits in - it's not obvious to me how i do this. any help or ideas? nicola

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I know this is a stupid question but...
Could it be that your black cartridge is already empty and you may need to replace it with a new black cartridge?

bobglen97

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
nicola said:
hello, i was very happy to come across your website as my printer has ceased to print black and i've been told i may need to spend lots of money on a new print head. it would be great to prolong the life of my printer and i intend to find some compressed air to unblock the black print head. my concern is removing the casing that the head sits in - it's not obvious to me how i do this. any help or ideas? nicola
Intructions are at the following link:

http://alpha02.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900

Click on the link in that window

i550usersguide_us.exe

See step 3...installing the printhead

You may want to try this method first (or in conjunction with) before using the compressed air method

http://www.alotofthings.com/inkjetinformation/techline-noink.htm

see step 1

Bob

nicola

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
many thanks - i will try these links later today - am off to buy some compressed air today..
all the best, nicola

nicola

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Dear Bob

I now have some compressed air, however I can't seem to access the Canon self help information you gave me. I've tried in System 9 and OSX on the Mac - and I don't know if it's an issue with the Mac or if I just don't have the access priveleges to it. I don't suppose there is an alternative way of letting me know how to remove the printer head is there?

All the best

Nicola

nicola

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Bob - thank you very much for your help there - the snapshot made it look very easy and I hadn't imagined the printer head slotting in like that. I've now used compressed air on the black print head but the problem continues. When printing black on portrait A4 paper, there are clear areas, 6mm in width and about 12mm apart from each other all down the page. Originally I think these started out being a little grey and now they are totally white. Any ideas on solving this? I really appreciate your support in trying to sort this out.
Many thanks, Nicola

bobglen97

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
http://members.cox.net/bobchart97/blktst.jpg

try printing that test image using the plain paper settings, try it at draft, good and custom.

Also, if the 865 has the option to clean the black head only, try cleaning (not deep cleaning) the black head 4-5 times...4-5 min apart.

see if that brings about improvement. You may just have a stubborn clog.

nicola

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
i just have consistent, solid black and white stripes all down the page...
i used the compressed air again today - plenty of ink coming out and i've done the printer cleans to the black head many times.
maybe it's not the print head after all... any ideas what it could be from my description?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Nicola,

Can you post a high resolution scan of a portion of a print showing the problem? A scan of the nozzle check would also be nice. What printer do you have and how many inks does it use?