Refills for Epson R1900

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Hello everyone. Is there any guidance for the best method for refilling the Epson R1900? I've been refilling the Canon Pro 100 and have become comfortable with it and now looking for refill solutions for this printer. I see that PC has a refill kit for this printer. Do/can I use the OEM carts for this printer or is it best to just go with the PC refill carts/kit and scrap the the OEM carts. The PC site R1900 instructions would not show up for me.

I search but not much info on the R1900 or either my keywords are not the correct ones to obtain a good search.

Thanks...Al

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
For Epson, refillable cartridges are recommended. Refilling original cartridges is very difficult to do (sometimes impossible due to fusing of the chip, making it impossible to reset), unlike Canon, which prefers original cartridges to be refilled.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
As @pharmacist said the OEM carts aren't great for refilling although @jtoolman came up with a process recently that made things a lot easier if memory serves so worth checking his "thorough, long winded version" on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8QspjBbhk

As for refillables, the R1900 falls into that area where the older vacuum priming was required for some cartridges, while newer carts are self-priming and can be "top-filled" with very little other work required.

"Priming" is the removal of air from the outlet port and initial feed chamber so you avoid injecting a nice bolus of air straight into the printhead and nozzles creating a clog. Best avoided as you can imagine :)

Vacuum priming has been covered in various places too but short version is to put 15ml of ink in your luer slip syringe, plug it into the fill hole, then draw a vacuum on the cartridge to pull out the air before allowing the ink in to take its place. Over-simplified but you get the idea.

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
Thanks fellas. I did review Jtoolman's video (subscribed to his channel) the other day, but did not realize it was for the R1900 as the cartridges looked different than the ones I have.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
The T087? Carts have a fusible chip sensor. Not a good candidate and you can not use the refill valaves shown in the video. There are workarounds but not really worth the effort.
Best aproach is a good set or two of refillable carts for it. They are pretty much everywhere.
Joe

Methodical

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
USA
The T087? Carts have a fusible chip sensor. Not a good candidate and you can not use the refill valaves shown in the video. There are workarounds but not really worth the effort.
Best aproach is a good set or two of refillable carts for it. They are pretty much everywhere.
Joe

Cool. Thanks. I will be ordering a set or 2. Do I need the ARC resetter, too?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
No you don't, because these are auto-reset chips.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
http://www.precisioncolors.com/E8C_access.html

No you don't, because these are auto-reset chips.

One should click on the ARC resetter read and understand how this works. This can potentially eliminate the need for external waste ink tanks and should I mention the waste of expensive photo paper when the ink runs out in the middle of the print.

I have an OEM who makes specialty industrial machines based on the R1900 chassis and they purchase these by the hundreds for the user of their specialty printers as they understand how useful these are as you don't want ARC chips constantly needing attention in a serial fashion during production. The other aspect to the 1900 is the long time it takes to get back up and running again every time a cartridge is changed.

But yes, the ARC is an option and not absolutely necessary but for the low cost of entry, should be considered an option if available.

This ARC resetter also works on specific ARC chips on the, R200 and variants, R2100, R2200, R800, R1800, R2400, R2880 including Artisan 50, R280 and older and the SP1400 and the earliest production runs of the 1430 which was able to use V6.0 chips. If you have one of the above printers using standard chips of V5.0 or V6.0, this should be considered.

Now on the Artisan series of the 700-837 era. Up to V.60 they could be used, But NOT ALL V6.0 because the makers of the chips did not release a V6.01 when they should have. There are at least two iterations of the V6.0 chip for the Artisan 700-837 range. The early ones work with the resetter. The only way to find out is to test unfortunately.

Last edited: