refilling using squeeze bottles - w/pics and video(new)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Tin Ho said:
I remember you said you have some(?) IP4300 still in the box. Have you sold them? I believe the price can reach $150 or higher. They are great for refilling. Good for you.
This reminds me that I have THREE new-in-box refurbished i560's that I got for $29 each from Fry's (came with brand new Canon ink carts worth more than that) and I'll never let them go! Looking back I wish I had bought all of them that were on the pallet (my wife's glad I didn't) ;)

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Do you still have them? Man, i560s are no inferior than any new Canons in printing IRS 1040s. Not very fast but reliable, never clog and good printing quality. I had one. Gave it away to a kid going to college years ago. It never came back.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Yup, I still have 3 in the box and one on my desk that is a workhorse! IMO it does everything I need it to do. It is just fine for about 70% of my text / graphic stuff (rest goes to my laser printer) and photos are just fine for 90% of our needs (the rest goes to a photo place). Best of all, super reliable and SUPER easy to refill with squeeze bottles and the German method.

Yup, I'm holding onto these guys forever "just in case". :D

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
nifty-stuff.com said:
Yup, I'm holding onto these guys forever "just in case". :D
I wish I could get mine back. I would use it for everything except printing photos on my Pro9000.

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To: Administrator

Per: post #101

In your post you said that you were a HUGE fan of aluminum tape. You said that the tape remained sticky even when wet.

Questions:

1. Since you wrote the post have you changed your mind about the stickiness of the tape especially when wet?

2. If you still believe that the tape performs well (especially when wet), could you please give the brand name, model number, and where you brought the tape. If it is handy, please give the bar code number also.

I use the top fill method in filling my carts. In the future I may use the German method to fill my carts. For now I would like to cover the OEM ball seal on my carts. I have removed the original cover over the ball seal. Because the ball seals leak I have covered the ball seals with hot glue. I would like to do a belt and suspenders by covering the hot glue with the aluminum tape.

Note: I do not use the ball seal opening to fill my carts. I drill a fill hole just to the right of the ball seal opening.

Thank you.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Yup, I still use aluminum tape and so far haven't had the same problems I had with other methods. It also seems to be extremely more easy to use.

The roll I've been using is SUPER olf (from my dad's garage and probably at least 10 - 15 years old). Here is a pic of the inside of the roll:

10_aluminum-tape.jpg

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Oh, and please note: I haven't submurged the tape in water or anything like that. I just know that I've not had problems with it adhering to the cartridge in the cases that I've used it, even when it seems that there is water or ink on the cart.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
yes still have a brand new IP4500. was going to sell it but after hearing about the quality of the newer canon printers, its hard to let the IP4500 go. always willing to listen to offers....

several have commented that it was shortly after the IP4500, MP830, MX850 model run that quality started to degrade.

i do know several people using the MX860/MX870 models and think there are great.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Jimbo, IP450 is even better thanIP4300. I thought you had spare IP4300. I don't know if Canon quality degrades in newer models. For sure the newer cartridges make it more difficult to refill.

joseph1949

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To: Rob (Administrator)

Thank you for the quick reply and I apologize for this not-so-quick reply.

I will take your information on the tape to Home Depot and see if they have the tape in stock. Because of the age of the tape I do not think the store will have the exact same tape. I will need to find a substitute tape. I am thinking a tape that is approved by the Mechanical Code for sealing ductwork would be a good substitutemore on this later.

I am assuming that the tape will not work if the tape comes in constant contact with water. I am thinking that changing the tape on regular basis will eliminate the problem of the water contactmore on this later.

Trigger 37 on the thread top fill clearance is looking for someone who has experience with aluminum tape. Please read his post #47. I will post on the top fill clearancethread so Trigger 37 can contact you on your experience with aluminum tape.

Thank you.