refilling using squeeze bottles - w/pics and video(new)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Well, since I've become a true believer in the German Method and am very close to becoming a 100% believer in the squeeze bottle system I thought I'd go through this thread from the beginning. A few thoughts as I did so:

1) Sealing the German refill hole: I agree with George... it can't hurt, so I have no problem "covering my bases" and doing it. I've become a HUGE fan of the aluminum tape for sealing holes. It seems to remain "sticky" even when a little wet and it conforms and molds very nicely to irregularities in and around the hole. I simply fold back a 1/16 bit of the tape back on itself and this allows me to peel it back, refill, and secure it back in place. Easy peasy!

2) I too had problems with the needle / cap connection. I ended up filling the connection between the cap and needle with some two part epoxy... primarily on the ones where it felt like the needle had stripped the soft cap plastic. The downside: I can't swap out needles on these caps. :(

3) I definitely err on the side of caution and choose to underfill vs. overfill my carts. I've had way more problems when I tried to put in "too much" ink than I've had putting in too little. :)

4) I'm not sure if it is luck or not, but I've never given thought to where I "release pressure on the bottle". I think I've usually done it after withdrawing the needle from the cartridge... it sounds like most of you suck the air from the ink chamber before withdrawing to equalize pressure?

5) Related to the above: I'm a HUGE fan of topping off the carts vs. waiting until they are empty. When one is getting a bit low I just take them all out and refill. Super quick and easy and I have way fewer ink feeding problems.

6) Sounds like there is a common consensus that bigger needles (18 gauge) are better for a plethora of reasons.

7) A common concern is leaking at the various connection points (bottle to cap and cap to needle). Once I personally feel that these aren't concerns, I think I'll be 100% converted to squeeze bottles. (At which point I'll have to ebay a box of syringes) :D

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Interesting points on the needle gauge...

From the sales (and user) POV.. I've quickly realised the 22g were ok and were something I went with more as over-cautious than anything. Unfortunately they are prone to bending and difficult to get the scabbards on, so you can guess what's going on sale shortly.

The 20g's though seem to be pretty good for the job and given that you don't want to be filling a cartridge too quickly I'm actually a little surprised that there's so many who don't rate them.

Interestingly enough I've barely sold any of the 18g needles so this has been an eye opener for me, but then I guess I've not exactly made it easy to get them with the kits (time to fix that!).

I did think that perhaps the 18g's were a little on the big side and might promote a bit more drying and/or potential for leakage as the hole size increases but it seems I may have ass-u-me'd on this score so colour me educated...

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I think the 20 would be okay, but unfortunately I don't have long enough 18's to compare. I do like the thought of easy scabbards and less air movement.

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Rob, I'm going to reenter my earlier reply concerning scabbards:

****** Go to Home Depot and buy some heat-shrink tubing about 1/8 dia., cut about 1/2 in. longer than your needle and apply heat with a hair drier or candle. Dont shrink too tight, lightly wipe the needle with oil, grease or Vaseline and slide the tubing up&down for lubing. You now have an ink needle condom! ******
Added note: fold over the excess, heat shrink it and use as a handle.

An advantage to this helpful hint is 18-22 ga needles can be 'covered'!! The heat shrink tubing is an excellent backup when you lose/damage a scabbard of any size--I would advise websnail to include a length in his kits.

Sorry that I have not responded to your request about my use of a check valve--no rocket science here. Just a basic plastic check valve with male female leur connections--squeeze bottle on one side, needle on the other.

Another note: instead of using epoxy or other permanent glues/adhesive I suggest silicone rubber sealant--it peels of easily for repair/replacement.

Now, what about moving the plastic lens sight idea along for indicating the refill level in the dark world of new user unfriendly carts--we DONT have to be blindsided!!!!!!!!

think outside the box--not boxed in!!! irv weiner

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Thanks irv. I've got tons of shrink tubing, but if I can get a handful of scabbards that are made for the purpose, and only be out a couple $'s then I'm happy to go that route.

I really should get my hands on some high quality silicone rubber sealant for stuff like this. I wanted to use the needles from my squeeze bottles but the epoxy is set.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
irvweiner said:
An advantage to this helpful hint is 18-22 ga needles can be 'covered'!! The heat shrink tubing is an excellent backup when you lose/damage a scabbard of any size--I would advise websnail to include a length in his kits.
Thanks for the tip, I'll see what I can locate...

It would certainly be useful for those looking for a means of capping their 19g and 21g needles, especially the sharp ones.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
... and just to provide another update on the whole O'ring side of things.

A bit more testing has indicated a slightly better fitting O'ring size is available so I'm getting that sorted out once the initial stock has been depleted, and a suitable bulk supplier has been found.

It's a minor alternation and one that shouldn't affect use for folks with the SquEasyFill kits now, but it does help resolve the potential for the rings to drop out of the caps.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
quick update, been using squeeze bottles for over 2 years now. this thread is now just over 1 year old.

have set up 3 friends and family members refilling their canon's using squeeze bottles. they cant' believe it is so easy.

i'm up over 190 refills. my 4 CLI8's are all original, each refilled over 25 times. my current PGI5 has been refilled 68 times, never purged.

the canon bean counters are not happy.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
quick update for some old timers and to pass on to the newer members.

when thread was started i had 80 refills, now at 300 refills and going strong. still refilling my 4 original CLI8 ink carts that are over 4 years old.

have started several friends refilling, they in turn have spread the word to others. all are amazed how quick and easy it is. on a good day... can refill and reset my 5 ink carts in under 5 min

just sharing old/new info that may help others here

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I remember you said you have some(?) IP4300 still in the box. Have you sold them? I believe the price can reach $150 or higher. They are great for refilling. Good for you.