refilling using squeeze bottles - w/pics and video(new)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Funny, I just did a Google Image Search for ""inkjet squeeze bottles" and the images in the first post of this thread were at the top of the list: http://www.google.com/images?um=1&h...t+squeeze+bottles&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

A question about sealing the needle in a squeeze bottle setup: I don't have the proper sized scabbards / covers for my needles and mine just slide easily on and off which worries me a bit. How tight of a seal do you all feel is necessary? Do they have to be absolutely air tight? I come from a world of syringe-only / replacing the caps back tightly on the bottles, so I don't know how much of an issue this may pose.

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Go to Home Depot and buy some heat-shrink tubing about 1/8 dia., cut about 1/2 in. longer than your needle and apply heat with a hair drier or candle. Dont shrink too tight, lightly wipe the needle with oil, grease or Vaseline and slide the tubing up&down for lubing. You now have an ink needle condom!

irv weiner

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Howards Electronics sells squeeze bottles, needles and needle covers in vaious sizes. The Jenson Global squeeze bottle come with or without needles. (http://www.howardelectronics.com/kahnetics/squeezebottles.html) Email them asking to substitute 2" needles of your desired guage for the customary ones and whether they will add needle covers with your order of squeeze bottles (for a fee of course).

I am happy with the performance of the 4 oz. Jenson squeeze bottles.

Websnail's Octoinkjet.co.uk sells the squeeze bottle/needle/cover kits as well.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
A random thought: Do you guys think that a "round" bottle is easier to control the squeeze or do you think an "oval" shaped / "flat" bottle would be easier... or maybe it doesn't matter?

Also, regarding needle gauge: I dont know which I like better The wider (e.g., 18g) ones seem stronger and I like that ink exits quicker (also requiring less squeezing which Im guessing means potentially less chance of leaking). The smaller needles (e.g., 21g) push into / through the cart much easier, but feel pretty flimsy and dont seem to inject ink fast enough.

Which do you prefer?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I like 18 gauge. 20 will bend too easily. 21 would be even worse.

Also, I recently discovered that the scabards can get "glued" onto the needles and when you try to twist them off they cause the needle to become dislodged from the plastic luer lock, so to prevent this from happening, I grasp the needle with a wet wash cloth while twisting off the scabbard. I presume this happens because I leave the needles on my syringes with ink in them.

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I recently replaced the 20 gauge needles for 18 gauge. With the 20 gauge I had to squeeze the bottle a lot, I was always afraid of that pressure. What was the worst, they are so thin, that, when they come out of the cart, they vibrate like a spring, splashing the ink around and on your clothes.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Very good points! I used a green 21 gauge and I really had to squeeze the bottle to get ink flowing... what's worse is that is was pigment ink which I'm sure didn't help any!

Sounds like 2" 18 gauge is the best way to go.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
i use 18g blunt needles w scabbards. scabbards have never gotten stuck on but i do re-snug the luer lock after removing the scabbard.

i don't squeeze that hard, but refill over a "pink bucket" just in case......

see pics and video in post #1
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4450&p=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G6MVUEgyjc

when i started this "squeeze bottle" thread i was at 80 refills, now at 175 refills

my current PGI5 cart has been refilled 70 times, cart never purged, refill hole never taped

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
George, as mentioned in my post above, if you lightly lubricate the needle shaft and insert the scabbard, thus lubing the scabbard your problem disappears.

As mentioned earlier in this post, I followed thru and added a check valve between the squeeze bottle and the needle. I do top refills, now when I maneuver the squeeze bottle up-side-down to the refill port no ink drips out. Furthermore, when I complete the refill and release the pressure on the squeeze bottle no ink is sucked back.
To clean the needle, I hold the bottle vertical and squeeze the residual ink into a tissue. A quick quarter turn of the needle assy releases the vacuum in the bottle--I do this on the next refill, keeping unnecessary air out the bottle is advantageous.

To those who are quick to complain about 'mythical' disadvantages to improvements offered by others without a hands-on trial--KIS Keep It Silent
Evaluating members suggestions can reveal true shortcomings or better yet an improved improvement and all are rewarded.
The KISS acronym is demeaning, how about: Keep It Simple & Smart!!!

irv weiner

g

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
irv, do you have some close up pics of your check valve setup? A video would be fun too, but pics would be a great first step for those like me that are visual.