refilling half empty cartridges - OctoInkjet

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Since the beginning I refill the carts of my Pro-10s using the Octoink refill plug and a syringe.
I weigh the cart with the orange bottom clip inserted, to see how much ink is needed to arrive to 33 grams. Then, after replacing the bottom clip with the refill plug, I inject that amount with the syringe. In theory, if there was air inside it wouldn't allow me to push all the ink without making a mess, but that never happened to me. Sometimes, by mistake, I inject a little more ink than required but, even then, no 'explosion' or geyser.

Last edited:

Fish323

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1290 Canon Pro 10s
If there is a bit of air in the cartridge it shouldn't make any difference as it will rise to the top when the cartridge is installed. Jose explaines that in one of the videos.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I am happy with the dripping method, and indeed the weight (32,5g without clip) is the most important.
Although resetted chips show empty before reaching 20g, so there is leeway.
When there is too much air you won't be able to reach it, press the sides slightly - with the outlet upwards - until no more foam comes out (Martin from octoink.co.uk aka @websnail has a video on this since long).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
(Martin from octoink.co.uk aka @websnail has a video on this since long).
It’s Feckin amazing how after more than ten years these guys all become experts..
Elvis has definitely left the building.. :weee

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
As it happens I finally did a video specifically for the Pro-10 and PGI-72 after resting on my laurels with the PGI-9 (Pro-9500) one for the last... yikes!... 7 years?!

Couple of things to add to some of the discussion here as pointers because it seems it might be useful.
  1. Air only gets into the cartridge bags for two reasons:
    1. The cartridge has been flushed and/or there's a lack of an ink layer to block the air entering.
    2. There's a leak into the cartridge bag.
  2. You can easily remove air using a modified clip and a syringe.

3. Leaving air in the cartridge bag means you're not getting the cartridge full and potentially means that the cartridge will run dry before the chip reads empty. Running dry = lack of nozzle coolant = bad things for nozzles.

And just to resolve a couple of the points above.

If the cartridge has been flushed, it's important to flood the outlet sponge with ink and then remove all the air using a modified clip and syringe. The ink provides a barrier to any air getting in so once you pull the air out it should stay out. If air is still getting in, then check the layer is complete before looking for leaks.

Think that covers things...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Couple of things to add to some of the discussion here as pointers because it seems it might be useful.
Nice to see you use a refill clip to fill an empty cartridge, and dribble afterwards..;)
Thanks for the video..