Refilling Canon with OEM ink

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I did another rather short test with some black inks , some L300/800 black inks became available for a test to compare
Black Comp.jpg
from left to right:
Canon BCI-1411 dye black - Epson L300 - Epson L800 - L800 black reference
Both the Canon and L300 blacks fade pretty quickly and turning to brown
the Epson L800 black performs very well - just a luminance increase by 3 vs. the black ref. print.
This just confirms previous results , the Canon black does not perform very well, the corresponding
Canon yellow performs better than a discarded OCP yellow - as found in a previous test.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
The tests are regarding UV-resistance ONLY. No other properties like ink flow, clogging, color matching, saturation..etc..
Besides there are other factors, first of all the paper, which affect the fading.
So I can not judge a certain ink as good better or worse in general.

But you may take a look at posting #12 and #17 - there are comparisons which included GI and some other 3rd party inks. These were short time tests with rather slight fading over all, so you have to look close. Anyway the scans of #17 could answer your question...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
this thread title refers to 'Refilling Canon with OEM ink', and we did almost that. A friend of mine is using a Canon IP7250 printer, and we were talking about this and that and refill and fading etc, and we are doing a test to use the Pro10 PGI-72 pigment inks in a separate set of refill cartridges CLI551 type in the IP7250, and with the Chroma optimizer filled into the normal paper black ink cartridge. The Pro 10 as a thermal printhead printer is operating with pigment inks which could indicate that such ink would run as well in another printer with a thermal printhead, and it prints in a IP7250, since a few days. The Chroma optimizer can be used in a 2nd overprint pass over the pigment ink prints as needed. This is just a quick test to check whether it would work, using pigment inks may cause some other longer term problems - e.g. that pigments get filtered in the cartridge foam insert, or that the cleaning unit cannot handle it or..or.. I just don't know. But it may be an alternative to switch over to for some prints with longer lasting pigment inks. This approach could be an alternative to the difficult supply situation for fade resistant dye inks. We are reverting back to the normal operating mode of this printer since it is needed for daily prints - text etc. A longer term test with pigment inks is not intended this time.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It’s good to know that some guys are still pushing theses printer to their limit, it may not work but at least they are trying something new, and if does work short term they’ll have a pigment printer for a few good photos, then change back again, nice one, I like it...

Pharmacist did try something similar with BCI-6 carts and it didn’t work out for him...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
The test of Pro10 equiv. inks in an IP7250 is over, catridges are switched back to the standard dye ink set, by refill in this case, or the printer runs with other 3rd party cartridges. I printed a target patch sheet as the last one with the pigment inks +GO, the prints look pretty good, the inks don't show much bronzing and other gloss effects on Aldi/Netbit paper, the Chroma optimizer reduces those effects even further. I'll test these PGI-72 pigment inks (by octoinkjet) in a Epson WF-2010W to check whether the performance is similar and these inks could be an alternative to those I'm currently using in an R800 - inks from China - tested out and selected about a year ago.

Flying Scotsman

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
Sorry if this is a stupid question but does this mean that my ip8750 would be able to use pigment ink for some images before switching back to dye ink
Thanks

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
That's what we did - filling PGI-72/Pro10 pigment inks into a cartridge set CLI-551 for the IP7250, and it was running like that for a few days, about 3/4 of the ink was used, we switched back to a dye cartridge set , did an additional cleaning cycle and a few prints and the printer was running on dye inks again. I think the IP8750 is using the same cartridge set. Profiling is necessary, colors seem to be a bit off and rather light otherwise, but that would be a matter of adjustment. But be aware that this was an experiment and is not ready yet for normal use without some more information about longer term performance, so doing it is at your risk, and you may test that with a smaller printer first. But if you do it you are invited to report your experience - good or bad up to a catastrophic failure......one small test does not tell the full story yet.

Flying Scotsman

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon ip8750
@Ink stained Fingers thanks for your quick reply if I am brave enough to try using pigment ink in my (4 month old) I will report back with the results.
I take it I would be able to use pigment ink for octoinkjet as I am based In the UK ??