Refilling Canon IP3600

wizzard

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am planning to buy this printer shortly. Is it easy to refill please and do you need a chip resetter for it?

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I don't think there is a resetter for this unit's cartridges. Also, I believe that they are smaller capacity cartridges than the CLI-8 chipped cartridges. Might be better to try and find one of the older printers like the ip3500 or ip4500 which there is a resetter for. Think you can refill the ip3600 cartridges but not reset them - thus you lose the ink monitoring capability.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
You want refilling, the forget the IP3600. Grab the older CLI-8/PGI-5 based printers if you still can. The best of them is no doubt the IP4500 or the multifunctional MX850 (same printhead engine). Even there will be a resetter for the IP3600, then refilling will be more frequently, as on30trainman has mentioned before, due to the much smaller content of the cartridges.

wizzard

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
You want refilling, the forget the IP3600. Grab the older CLI-8/PGI-5 based printers if you still can. The best of them is no doubt the IP4500 or the multifunctional MX850 (same printhead engine). Even there will be a resetter for the IP3600, then refilling will be more frequently, as on30trainman has mentioned before, due to the much smaller content of the cartridges.
The problem in UK is that it is almost impossible to find the 3500 or the 4500 now.

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
wizzard said:
The problem in UK is that it is almost impossible to find the 3500 or the 4500 now.
Actually probably no different than here in the US. Actually it is hard to find a Canon printer only model in the US - just AIOs. Think you need to look on the used market or some such way. I got my ip4200 and both ip4500s (all new in box) this past December off what is known as Craigslist - a website that has regional/city based sections for swap/sale/etc classified ads. Craigslist has quite a few international country/region/city sites.

Steve W.

wizzard

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
on30trainman said:
wizzard said:
Actually probably no different than here in the US. Actually it is hard to find a Canon printer only model in the US - just AIOs. Think you need to look on the used market or some such way. I got my ip4200 and both ip4500s (all new in box) this past December off what is known as Craigslist - a website that has regional/city based sections for swap/sale/etc classified ads. Craigslist has quite a few international country/region/city sites.

Steve W.
Thanks Steve

Managed to order an IP3500 (refurbished one from Canon Outlet) today. Any advice on refilling these or on the chipping tool please?

DomtheMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a ip4600, these use the same cartridges as the ip3600, its just a smaller cartridge on these than ip4500.

Personally I don't get the big deal with chip resetters as you reset the chip but you don't necessarily completely refill the cart unless you faff about leaving it to settle to soak into the sponge. You also still have the problem, even if you use a re-setter, that if you need to return the printer for service, your ink carts have holes in them and have clearly been refilled! So I don't really get the big deal wanting to reset the chips.

Personally I don't bother, I just monitor the printer ink levels regularly, I find this reliable.

Cameraland in Cardiff had a couple of ip4500's left a couple of weeks ago, might be worth a call. They had had a few in brand new, must have been stock that Canon had found. I bought two! They were only 49.99 each.

I am finding the ip4600 far better at managing the paper feed than either of my ip4500's were incidentally. Never find problems with this not feeding paper through.

dougsewell

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Amazon is worth trying. I have recently bought a third ip3500 through them for 49.99 with free p&p from Nanobits ltd. Arrived 2 days after ordering. Great. They still seem to have some left. Grab them while you can. 4500's also available.
Doug

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
G&G has just released the new compatibles with chip for the ip3600/4600 they seem to be first to the market.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hey, another person from B.C.!!

If that is so, that did not take long!!!

Any sign of a resetter yet? The carts are small, so it may be better to use the chipped G&G compatibles if they are priced low enough, rather than refilling.

Where did you see the link? My wholesaler has thechipped G&G cli-8s, but not the cli-221s yet.