Refilled this cartridge and can't get ink to come out

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
1) The Black cartridge that is completely missing is a Pigment ink. Maybe it is a clog in the print head. Maybe it is a clog in the purge system. It can be an empty Black cartridge or lack of ink flow through the cartridge for whatever reason. Do not refill the old cartridge as you cannot be sure if the cartridge is the problem or not at this point. Get a new Black cartridge, which you said you have.

2) The black text and lines in the test page you posted use CYM to make Black. These appear to be Dye-based inks. There are missing and off color text and lines. This can be due to insufficient ink in the cartridge, poor ink flow through the cartridge, and/or variable print head clogging.

The funnel-shaped missing ink best seen in the Cyan and somewhat in the Magenta are classic signs of ink starvation in a Canon inkjet. I'd bet it is the same for your HP since they are similar thermal print head inkjet printers. The straight lines of missing ink typically represent clogged nozzles in the print head. Maybe this correlates to your HP.

These findings are precisely why we ask for a nozzle check. It tells us more than what you said.

I might be tempted to pull the print head and flush and soak it. Then install new cartridges and only print the test page to see what happens. Post the results. Do not print anything else unless you get a perfect result. If the CYM colors reappear properly but not the Black then you may need to do the purge system cleaning. But that is based on my limited reading on your printer. Use Google like I recommended and read as much as you can stand on your specific issue.

And, yes, you should look at the videos as they may offer some insights into your issue(s).
Oh! I didn't know that the black in the test was made by cym cartridges. That changes everything. Okay, I'll watch vids and refill cym and test again....

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
Oh! I didn't know that the black in the test was made by cym cartridges. That changes everything. Okay, I'll watch vids and refill cym and test again....
Wait, on the quality report, the black is done by cmy, but what about the rest of the page? There's black in the text and box borders (??)

Anyway, so I refilled all color cartridges and got the attached pics. What gives?? What a way to reward me for filling them up! They produced more before refilling. What does that mean?
IMG_20210812_054817469.jpg
going to watch vids now...
IMG_20210812_055024721.jpg
oh... I missed peterbj's link to proper refill method. Looks like I stuck it in the wrong hole! Lol. Might have to extract then redo. Will keep reading...

Last edited:

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
I cannot figure out how you refilled the cartridge. But top filling is a recommended refill method for these cartridges. Here is a post with an instruction. I cannot tell if the printing problems are caused by an electronics defect, but my guess is that it is a cartridge problem.
Hey Peter, thanks for the link. Should've checked it first before I refilled. So it didn't specify which hole but I'll presume the other one, not the vent hole. So I just filled an chamber meant for air? Well I'll try to suck it out and put it in the right hole. As you can see I don't have to plug any other hole but the outlet but idc I'll just let it spill on paper towel to know when it's done or is that not a good method? Idk how else to know when it's full. Let me know if it matters. Thanks
IMG_20210812_062403198.jpg

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
I cannot figure out how you refilled the cartridge. But top filling is a recommended refill method for these cartridges. Here is a post with an instruction. I cannot tell if the printing problems are caused by an electronics defect, but my guess is that it is a cartridge problem.
Hmm... Having trouble finding all that 5ml ink I put in them from the vent hole. So the ink must've found its way elsewhere. I've gotten some out of the bottom outlet but only maybe 1.5 ml. Is there a better place I can drill into to get it? Wish I could see inside to know how these things work. I'll just keep sucking from the sponge at the outlet til anyone advises better...

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
Interesting...

So after trying to transfer JUST the magenta ink from vent section to fill side seems like all ink found some of itself back to proper place in cartridge. Idk, you tell me, but it went from blank page to this. If any of you understand what happened in the last half hour pls enlighten me as it would be educational to know what's going on here

So again, what's up with black? CMY must be being used for text and box borders but not actual K test right? Looking like printhead issue for K no? Still got vids to watch...
IMG_20210812_065614438.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Wait, on the quality report, the black is done by cmy, but what about the rest of the page? There's black in the text and box borders (??)
You have it mixed up. To clarify what I already posted to you on this, the vertical black stripe that is missing is supposed to be from your Pigment Black cartridge. Now, notice how there is missing black in the text and border lines? Sometimes you can see other colors in the missing parts. This black is made, at least in part, with the Dye-based CYM inks. You can see there are missing areas in the CYM vertical stripes which probably correspond to the missing "black" in the text and border lines but NOT the missing Pigment Black in the vertical stripe.

The blank page is probably due to you clogging the air vent in the cartridges with ink. Air must enter the cartridge as ink flows out to equalize the pressure inside the cartridge or else no further ink leaves.

At this point, I would suggest you start with all new cartridges unless you can flush out the wrongly refilled cartridges. Use Google to see if there is a way to flush your specific cartridge model. Your "refilled" cartridge cannot be trusted to provide proper ink flow even if the test page shows ink.

We provide help at no charge. We are not paid. You have not read the links or watched the videos provided. You are in way over your head but have an opportunity to change it around. You should review all that has been provided before going further to hopefully prevent another forced error on your part. If you do not then why are you here?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Only XL cartridges are suitable for top filling.

The standard cartridges are best refilled by dripping ink ink into the ink outlet until the felt material is almost saturated, If you drip fill then check that the cartridge doesn't drip after refill, so it doesn't leak ink into the printer. Ink can also be injected into the vent in the standard cartridges, but I prefer drip filling these as you can see when ink is no longer absorbed quickly, indicating the sponge is almost saturated and the refill is complete.

No holes should be drilled into a standard cartridge nor an XL cartridge.

Here is a scan of a HP 364/564 standard cartridge with the label removed.

HP 364-564 standard.jpg

Last edited:

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
You have it mixed up. To clarify what I already posted to you on this, the vertical black stripe that is missing is supposed to be from your Pigment Black cartridge. Now, notice how there is missing black in the text and border lines? Sometimes you can see other colors in the missing parts. This black is made, at least in part, with the Dye-based CYM inks. You can see there are missing areas in the CYM vertical stripes which probably correspond to the missing "black" in the text and border lines but NOT the missing Pigment Black in the vertical stripe.

The blank page is probably due to you clogging the air vent in the cartridges with ink. Air must enter the cartridge as ink flows out to equalize the pressure inside the cartridge or else no further ink leaves.

At this point, I would suggest you start with all new cartridges unless you can flush out the wrongly refilled cartridges. Use Google to see if there is a way to flush your specific cartridge model. Your "refilled" cartridge cannot be trusted to provide proper ink flow even if the test page shows ink.

We provide help at no charge. We are not paid. You have not read the links or watched the videos provided. You are in way over your head but have an opportunity to change it around. You should review all that has been provided before going further to hopefully prevent another forced error on your part. If you do not then why are you here?
"pigment" and "dye-based"... I'm not sure if that means something important but I didn't want to slow you down to ask so I just keep moving the best I can and I appreciate the mistakes I make in life as I learn, it makes the lessons stick, and I just don't absorb new info that that well with just my imagination. Gotta 'feel' it through bruises. Is there something I need to know that I don't about ink specifics here?... and I got a 3.0 in school AT BEST. So maybe that precludes me from receiving your help? Anyway I'm doing my best and actually am a learning a lot so thanks for that but no thanks for your snide insult. Don't hurt yourself trying to help then blame me buddy. That's between you and your therapist. And trust me, there's areas in life I could step on you and twist. Now that we're all personal with each other I hope we can get along better. But really, thanks, you've helped a lot.

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
Only XL cartridges are suitable for top filling.

The standard cartridges are best refilled by dripping ink ink into the ink outlet until the felt material is almost saturated, If you drip fill then check that the cartridge doesn't drip after refill, so it doesn't leak ink into the printer. Ink can also be injected into the vent in the standard cartridges, but I prefer drip filling these as you can see when ink is no longer absorbed quickly, indicating the sponge is almost saturated and the refill is complete.

No holes should be drilled into a standard cartridge nor an XL cartridge.

Here is a scan of a HP 364/564 standard cartridge with the label removed.

View attachment 12558
Thanks! Is there a pic of the transparent ones around somewhere you know of? It'd help me see how these work. But this was very helpful.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
There are no HP OEM 564 cartridges that are transparent. Some after market (non-OEM) cartridges might be transparent, like these.

Last edited: