Refillable cartridge vs Resetting the cartridge

Lelopes

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IX6810
So... This forum is a blessing, but I still have a lot to learn from you guys.
I have been adviced to:

Stick with OEM Canon ink for dependable results.

See if the GI-13 inks are cost effective, and if so, start refilling the CLI-151 OEM cartridges if possible.

You will either need a chip resetter specific for your model cartridge or you can swap in a ARC chip on the OEM cartridges.

Or, you can go with an aftermarket cartridge with ARC chips already on them.

To find resetters and arc chips I use Google and search on the term "CLI-151 chip resetter". I did see aftermarket cartridges with ARC chips from Russian AliExpress. I'd rather find something in my home country or on the Chinese original AliExpress.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...dz2AGIQ8ccDegQIDRAI&biw=1560&bih=846&dpr=2.22

If there is no chip resetter or ARC chips to be had then you can override ink level monitoring when the cartridge is marked Empty by the printer. Then you refill. You won't have ink level monitoring but you will be able to refill. Careful to not run out of ink in the cartridge or you could permanently kill nozzles and then your prints will look bad. Stop printing immediately at the first sign of missing ink. Top off all cartridges regularly before they get close to empty
I found the PGI-125 resetter in My country, but nothing specific to CLI-151. There are, however, a lot of refillable cartridges on our "ebay" like site.
I've read that the best practice is to refill the OEM, but what if that isn't an option? I am not comfortable with overriding the ink monitoring level feature cause there is a warning about that being memorized by the printer and with that, out of warranty.

Can someone educate me on why the refillable cartridges are a bad idea? What if I swap the chip with the OEM cartridge, would that do the trick?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
EDIT - Is this the final thread for this topic?

I hope Management - @Nifty or @PK Project Manager - can move OP's posts from there to here and clean things up. (https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...ne-canon-ink-in-bulk.14956/page-2#post-130655)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This may be the first time I have come across the 150/151 model cartridges. Canon splits the world up into Regions and names the same cartridges and printers with slight variations in model number. For instance, your CLI-151 may be the same construction as the CLI-251 from another part of the world.

However, Canon locks the Region into the printer's EEPROM so that if you move from Brazil to Europe then the cartridges sold in Europe would not be recognized by your printer even if the cartridge and printer is otherwise identical to yours.

I mention all this because your cartridge is unknown to me but probably has identical construction, dimensions, and amount of ink when new. This assumption will facilitate figuring out the refilling process if you so choose to do it.

a lot of refillable cartridges on our "ebay" like site.
Do they have ARC chips on the cartridges? Make sure the seller makes clear how the ARC chips function:
  • Reset whenever you take the cartridge out of the print head
  • Only reset once the cartridge is marked Low or Empty and it is then removed from the print head
  • Either way, the chip is reset to FULL regardless of the amount of ink in the cartridge and the printer believes it. It is possible for the printer to continue to print despite no ink from the cartridge. This will permanently burn out nozzles if printing is not stopped.
  • Caveat - some aftermarket chips are single use only. Make sure you are getting true ARC chips.

I've read that the best practice is to refill the OEM
As I already said, this is true. If you cannot or won't then your options are refillable aftermarket cartridges, prefilled aftermarket cartridges, or OEM new cartridges.

why the refillable cartridges are a bad idea?
@The Hat has written on this. Basically, OEM cartridges are the most dependable in construction and function. Ink flow can be altered/disrupted in any cartridge but the Forum has found OEM cartridges offer the best performance and longevity. An aftermarket refillable cartridge have worked for many people. Unless someone else has tried that specific refillable cartridge then the only way to know the reliability is to try it

What if I swap the chip with the OEM cartridge
As I previously said this is an option and has been done with other model cartridges. But you need to know if the ARC chip will fit and if you will need some Hot Glue to keep it attached.

If you are going to try refilling the OEM cartridges then start a new thread - eg Refilling the CLI-151 - asking for guidance and inquire about swapping chips. It would be best to keep that topic separate for clarity and the good of the forum for anyone else wanting to know this.

Until then, see the following link for information on refilling the 250/251, the probable identical cousin of your 150/151 but in North America. Especially read through the Chip Reset and Instruction tabs to get an idea the process.

https://www.precisioncolors.com/C5E.html

Last edited:

Lelopes

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IX6810
You are not making it very easy to help you while you have so many different Threads and Posts going at the same time, this question was already answered..
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/filling-canon-refillable-cartridges.14563/post-130689
In that one I was only trying to understand the difference between the 2 things you had said.

But I didn't want to highjack the original post, as I seem to have done in another thread. Just trying to respect each topic separatly.
Don't be so mean to me :(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Don't be so mean to me
The Hat is Irish and I am American. Our peoples can be, shall I say, blunt at times. ;)

However, I can assure you that The Hat was not being mean. I've seen him mean. And ornery. Those and his razor sharp humor are the reasons I call him my friend. OK. Maybe not because of the mean and ornery, but definitely because of the humor. :D

PS Wonderful avatar image. :thumbsup

Lelopes

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IX6810
EDIT - Is this the final thread for this topic?

I hope Management - @Nifty or @PK Project Manager - can move OP's posts from there to here and clean things up. (https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...ne-canon-ink-in-bulk.14956/page-2#post-130655)
I am really trying to don't make such a mess, that's why I started a different thread. Hope this does the trick.
And yes, I searched the forum before asking, I learned a lot about reffiling cartridges, asked some questions and made some a little mad about it. lol.
But at the end I still had doubts.

However, Canon locks the Region into the printer's EEPROM so that if you move from Brazil to Europe then the cartridges sold in Europe would not be recognized by your printer even if the cartridge and printer is otherwise identical to yours.

I mention all this because your cartridge is unknown to me but probably has identical construction, dimensions, and amount of ink when new. This assumption will facilitate figuring out the refilling process if you so choose to do it.

Do they have ARC chips on the cartridges? Make sure the seller makes clear how the ARC chips function:
  • Reset whenever you take the cartridge out of the print head
  • Only reset once the cartridge is marked Low or Empty and it is then removed from the print head
  • Either way, the chip is reset to FULL regardless of the amount of ink in the cartridge and the printer believes it. It is possible for the printer to continue to print despite no ink from the cartridge. This will permanently burn out nozzles if printing is not stopped.
  • Caveat - some aftermarket chips are single use only. Make sure you are getting true ARC chips.
Thank You, I was aiming to import the resetter, but this information showed me that I actually may not succeed doing so.
Yes, they do have the arch chip, the one that (as you said) will reset every time I take it out of the printer)
I will buy the refillable cartridges and swap their chip, It seems the best option by now. This way I can keep the OEM carts, use original Gi-13 ink, but still get the chip reseted (is that a valid word?).

Thats the conundrum.. the refillable carts are so much easier to refill than the OEM carts, but they will not deliver sufficient enough ink to the print head after only one or two refills, in a nut shell they need special care and attention to maintain them in good condition.. (Not easy)

On the other hand OEM carts are the best by a country Kilometre and are very dependable, but if not filled properly they too will cause ink flow issues, you need to learn the proper refilling technique and stick to it like glue..

Question:- have you never considered switching to a pigment ink printer to solve all your longevity issue, either Canon or Epson..
That's the information I was looking for, what makes the refillable cartridge bad and if that was something that could be searched for during buy, Unfortunately... not. lol. But at least now I know better than risking my printer.
Some Brazilian "technicians" (technicians in Brazil tend to be just very curious guys without any real study on their field, just a guy and a youtube account) in youtube had brought to attention the fact he was getting to many Pixma printers with problems due to overflow from refillable cartridges, But he mentioned it very fastly, Later, watching Jose's channel I learned that most of it are due to sponge quality, that's when I turned to your previous answer.
A: I did, but they are extremely costly or just some problematic adaptations around here. I was, also, (maybe badly) advised to get this Pixma with dye inks cause the colors in pigmented printer wouldn't be great and the printhead would supposedly get clogged all the time
Information in my native language is a very tricky thing, most of it are just curious guys making up what they think they know and passing it ahead.
Returning the printer isn't an option with Brazilian's consumer right. But I am not unhappy with the printer. Just trying to squish a little more out of it.

Alright I will try to sum it up, please correct me if I got anything wrong, english is a very difficult language for me and I could easily mix things up (that's why I am so long-winded, trying to make sure I pass the right message).:

OEM cartridges are better cause their construction are better and even the sponges are better than the refillable ones even if they are designed to be used only once in reality:
I can't use resetters from other similar models (eg CLI 251) cause they can be locked at EPROM level.
But I can swap chips (paying attention to colors and size) from refillable auto-reset to the OEM carts.
Refilling my specific cartridge will be a whole new deal to learn, but the 251 seems a great way to start.

Thanks guys. I will post my results as soon as ink and donor cartridges gets here.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I will buy the refillable cartridges and swap their chip, It seems the best option by now.
If you are buying the refillable cartridges then you may want to give them a try before cannibalizing the ARC chip.

You may be able to find just the ARC chips alone instead of buying the cartridge.

english is a very difficult language for me
Your English is good and better than @The Hat's which I sometimes need a special decoder ring to decipher at times. If we had to ask where the bathroom is in Portuguese we would be arrested for obscene gestures or pee our pants and then get arrested. :ep :lol:

I can't use resetters from other similar models (eg CLI 251) cause they can be locked at EPROM level.
I wouldn't count on it, but... I recall a report that a chip resetter sold for one Region's model cartridge has reset an otherwise identical model cartridge from a different Region. Would a 250/251 chip resetter reset a 150/151 chip? I don't know. Possible? Sure. Probable? No. If money is no object for you then we would love to hear your experience trying this.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I've seen him mean. And ornery. Those and his razor sharp humor are the reasons I call him my friend. OK. Maybe not because of the mean and ornery, ?.
Phew, and I taught I was going to get a lashing, instead just a pat on the head.. There, there..:love
But I can swap chips (paying attention to colors and size) from refillable auto-reset to the OEM carts.
Refilling my specific cartridge will be a whole new deal to learn, but the 251 seems a great way to start.
I reckon you’re going into the realm of refilling blind, and it’s something you know little about and you will get yourself into trouble very early on, refilling isn’t easy, but once mastered it then becomes your friend. but It needs total commitment, not half arse attempts.

From what I know the CLl 150 carts have a very thin chip and removing them are extremely difficult, plus ARC chips are much thicker and may not fit on an OEM cart, these CLl 150 cart are difficult to refill successfully for novices.

Maybe a way to go would be to buy a complete set of ten refillables with ARC chips, and refill, then when they start to cause trouble, dump them and use the next new set, that would keep you going for a good while without running into trouble early on..

I was, also, (maybe badly) advised to get this Pixma with dye inks cause the colors in pigmented printer wouldn't be great and the printhead would supposedly get clogged all the time
You dismissed pigment ink out of hand as not suitable, because of “here say” without knowing first yourself, I wouldn’t have recommend the switch if I taught the pigment ink wouldn’t be suitable for your projects, O’ and refilling is easier..

To get into refilling properly it is costly, and using new OEM carts is cheaper to start with, but in the long run refilling is the cheapest way to go, so be prepared to spend..

P.S. you’ve got the wrong printer to start with, so now you’ll just have to carry on or buy a different one.. the printer is ok, but the carts are shite.. The house wins every time..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
refilling isn’t easy
Jaysus! We figured out how to do it. Quit scaring the young ones. :old

• Can you drill or punch a hole in the cartridge top?
  • Can you use tape, a screw or silicone plug (best choice) to seal the hole?
  • Can you use a syringe and needle to transfer ink into the cartridge?
  • If there is no transparent window to see the ink level, can you use a scale to measure weight of the cartridge to know how much ink to fill? (need to know the "Full" weight of a new and never used cartridge and then how to add or subtract)
  • Do you have a sink or outdoors to do the refilling?
  • Do you have gloves to keep potential mess off hands?

I posted a link for OP to see the process of refilling for the 250/251 cartridges. I am sure they can make up their own mind.