Lego007

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson TX720WD
Hello everyone, very glad to enter this community.

I own a Cyber-Coffee here in Peru(South America) and I'm looking to buy a plotter to complement my business, only have an Epson doing A4s right now.
After some reading I declined for Canon because well... they are faster, display better colors, can do borderless printing and 2nd handed they come kind of cheap and so on, comparing them to HPs.
And yes, I know I'll have to use quality ink (only OCP would be used) in order to preserve the printhead, and yes I know this printhead is expensive and main logic board is ever more expensive but I kind of made peace with that already.

So the situation is: There is a sir selling "a very lighthly used IPF710 that has been sitted for like a year or two" XD... For the price to be fair only the main board needs to be OK, that would justify the purchase alone. I've just seen the printer and: The printhead is there, but I think it could be unusable even after the cleaning of a lifetime using Magic bullet + ultrasound... that's fine. Original tanks are there, I'm thinking probably I would need new chips, and ink obviously. The only error/message the printer displays is: Inks tanks empty or something like that with the image of the 5/6 cartridges empty.

And my question/questions would be: a) If this is the only message the printer displays, that means the main logic board is OK, right? I need to know this because that is the main reason I'm considering buying this. I have some options for the printhead. b) Is it true that the internal rails/engines/anything that makes the machine work can become obsolete just by letting it sit for 2 years, (worst case scenario let's make it 5yr)?. c) Would you give me any other advice/suggestion? Any advice would be highly appreciated and taken into perspective.

Other thoughts: The dude won't let me even test a new printhead (+ ink of course) on his machine (not even done by a qualified technician) prior to the purchase because: "he fears -so he says- we could let the machine unusable for another buyer", (on the case we perhaps found something very wrong with the printer that persuade us from buying it).

Many thanks in advance for your time and help.

Best Regards and blessings for everyone!

Last edited:

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
If you cant test it, either take a risk and buy it (negotiating the price), or don't. It's like buying a used car without being permitted to take a test drive.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
"he fears -so he says- we could let the machine unusable for another buyer", (on the case we perhaps found something very wrong with the printer that persuade us from buying it).
Don’t touch it with a barge pole unless you can see a test print first, this printer can’t start up properly without ink in every cartridge, and I reckon this guy is trying to sell you a lemon and he knows it...

P.S. never clean a print head with ultrasound, plain soapy warm water works best...

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
Don’t touch it with a barge pole unless you can see a test print first, this printer can’t start up properly without ink in every cartridge, and I reckon this guy is trying to sell you a lemon and he knows it...

I concur... the cost of "fixing" one of these printers that is broken can run through the roof really quick. I bought a used IPF8300 recently and the original owner showed me everything that was wrong with it... and what was right with it. At least I felt the original owner was truthful.