Problems and Service Mode Tricks with Canon Pixma Pro-1

swisscow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Hi printer fans :)

I recently bought a barely used Pro-1 almost for free. I knew that getting this box up and running again won't be easy sailing but saw the challenge in it and got it. I've now had already couple of successes but still it's not working as expected and I'm wondering if any of you printer pros can provide me another hint in my quest to get my Pro-1 going.
  • From the guy I bought it from I learnt that the printer is outputting a 6700 error. I read in this forum that this might be related to the internal coin battery so I thought it might be easy to fix the printer.
  • Replacing the battery, however, didn't make a difference (and, yes, I replaced the battery while the printer was switched on, as advised multiple times by @The Hat ;)).
  • When turning on the printer, it's not doing anything except flashing orange-white (resume-power) alternately 26 times.
  • Now with the following sequence of button presses I managed to get into service mode: press and hold resume, press and hold power, release resume, press and release resume 3 times, press and hold resume, release resume and power button together. The printer is then doing some initialization routine while the white power led is flashing and then the white power led nicely stays constantly up.
  • Now I've tried to connect to the printer via the service tool but I didn't have success. I tried both v3400 and v5103. I just get an error code 006 from the service tool.
  • Then I read that you can also release some service mode commands from the printer itself via a series of button presses. I found out that when pressing and holding the resume button the power button starts to blink and no depending on how many time the power button blinks until the resume button is released again, a specified function is run:
    • release resume button after 1x power button blink: the printer is doing something, cleaning maybe?
    • release resume button after 2x power button blink: the printer is printing the nozzle check
    • release resume button after 3x power button blink: nothing
    • release resume button after 4x power button blink: the printer is printing another test page (with small rectangles of the different colors) and then the resume button is blinking 11times in a row (this is probably meaning that the nozzles are clogged, also the nozzle check is not giving a perfect output). The error can be confirmed by pressing the resume button
    • release resume button after 5x power button blink: a white page is output(?)
    • release resume button after 6x power button blink: a white page is output(?)
  • But also from service mode I can't send a page to be printed neither from my Win10 PC nor from my Ubuntu desktop (with the TurboPrint driver). The TurboPrint dialog is giving me the 6700 error.
Now I have some specific questions:
  • Do you have any other suggestions/tricks I could try to get this printer going again?
  • After turning the printer off when in service mode, I can't turn it on anymore via the power button. I then need to unplug the power (and leave it unplugged for a minute or so!) and then, after plugging in again, I can turn on the printer again. Is this the normal behavior?
  • Nowhere in this forum I have read about the possibility to issue service mode commands right form the printer via button presses. Is this something you guys did not yet know? This could probably help other guys as well.
  • According to the guys I got the printer from, it has been sitting around unused for at least 2 years. Now after that time for sure the nozzles are clogged but with every clean cycle I do (run with the button presses from the service mode) the nozzle check looks better. Now my understanding is that currently it would not be worth buying new cartridges, right? Or could it be that the clogging is the only problem and if I would replace the cartridges, the printer would communicate again?
  • Would it be worth trying to find yet another version of the service tool and see if I can connect with that? Could it be that I was using a wrong service tool? Could anybody maybe share a link to a service tool that you know is working with the Pro-1?
  • So far I was connecting to the printer via USB. Would it be worth checking via Ethernet? Or maybe even checking the direct printing from a camera via the PictBridge?
Any help would be highly appreciated. It would just be so awesome to get that printer going again :). Thank you guys in advance!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
A thread on your issue:

https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-pixma-pro-1-error-6700.11702/

flashing orange-white (resume-power) alternately 26 times.
Not specifically listed in the manual but maybe this is the number for the 6700 error. :idunno

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART151139

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Manual/M/PRO-1 v1-1 series/EN/UG/UG_Trouble0300.html

I tried both v3400 and v5103. I just get an error code 006 from the service tool.
Error Code 006 is either you are not in Service Mode or you are using the wrong tool.

https://easyfixs.blogspot.com/2020/12/canon-service-tool-error-code-mean.html

It is possible that using the wrong Service Tool you can forever shut entry into Service Mode even if using the correct button sequence and the correct tool.

Would it be worth trying to find yet another version of the service tool and see if I can connect with that? Could it be that I was using a wrong service tool? Could anybody maybe share a link to a service tool that you know is working with the Pro-1?
Possibly yes.
Possibly yes.
First verify (to us) you are actually in Service Mode before going further. Recall, error 006 can mean you are not.

Would it be worth checking via Ethernet? Or maybe even checking the direct printing from a camera via the PictBridge?
NO. Only direct USB cable between printer and computer.
Try PictBridge if you want, but know that printing anything other than nozzle checks risks permanently burning out nozzles.

swisscow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Wow, thanks @stratman, for your fast reply! :thumbsup

Yes, thanks, I've fully read that thread already.

Error Code 006 is either you are not in Service Mode or you are using the wrong tool.
I've just also tried Service Tool v3000 (which is according to that "easyfixs" page the right one for the Pro-1) but I still get a 006.

Ok, after all that I read now (mostly on this forum) I think we have to say "game over" here (like @The Hat said couple of times in this situation), especially since I think Canon is officially not anymore providing service for that printer. If anybody of you still has a good idea (possible to buy the EPROM somewhere? or program it on my own? any other advice?) I would highly appreciate that.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I have no idea the failure is not because you are not entering Service Mode in the first place.

Before giving up, let's make sure you are actually able to enter Service Mode. Then we can worry about Service Tools (starting with where you got your tools).

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Now with the following sequence of button presses I managed to get into service mode: press and hold resume, press and hold power, release resume, press and release resume 3 times, press and hold resume, release resume and power button together.
- x3 press/release for the Resume/Cancel button does not seem like the proper button sequences for the Pro 1 to enter Service Mode in order to use a Service Tool. Link to where you found this.

My readings says x5.

My readings have also said to only try one Service Tool version at a time. I do not recall exactly the procedure but it was something like -- exit Service Mode if the one tool does not work, power down, unplug printer from the wall, wait a a few seconds and then plug back in power up and then try a different version tool. Not doing this may forever prevent using a Service Tool.

There are plenty of wives' tales on the internet. This one, if false, is harmless. If true, then may wind up with a giant door stop.

Again, are you actually in Service Mode? Get a screen print, screen shot or image with your phone of the Service Tool screen(s) and post.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Any help would be highly appreciated. It would just be so awesome to get that printer going again :). Thank you guys in advance!
Hi @swisscow..

You’ve got further than most with a problematic Pro 1 printer, but yet again this machine will outwit you and anyone else that tries to circumvent the normal set procedures.

The error code 6700 is indeed a RTC battery failure, and the previous owner didn’t tell you that he got the same error, and once this issue occurs, then the only answer is to return the printer to an Authorised Dealer to re-program the EPROM chip..

The service tool V3400 is the correct one for a Pro 1, but only if the firmware version doesn’t not appear at the bottom of the nozzle check, and if you receive the code 006 while in service mode then the PC is not connected to the printer.

Outcome drive to the nearest Authorised Dealers and have the printer serviced, or drop it into the first dumpster you come across..

P.S. You better have deep pockets if you get it serviced..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
the previous owner didn’t tell you that he got the same error

From the guy I bought it from I learnt that the printer is outputting a 6700 error.
OP didn't mean it when he said the previous owner told him there was an error 6700?

if you receive the code 006 while in service mode then the PC is not connected to the printer.
Is that in addition to previously stated reasons for the display of 006 or the only reason?

There is a Service Code for what you suggest and it is not 006. See the easyfixs link in my post above.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
- x3 press/release for the Resume/Cancel button does not seem like the proper button sequences for the Pro 1 to enter Service Mode in order to use a Service Tool. Link to where you found this.

My readings says x5.

My readings have also said to only try one Service Tool version at a time. I do not recall exactly the procedure but it was something like -- exit Service Mode if the one tool does not work, power down, unplug printer from the wall, wait a a few seconds and then plug back in power up and then try a different version tool. Not doing this may forever prevent using a Service Tool.

There are plenty of wives' tales on the internet. This one, if false, is harmless. If true, then may wind up with a giant door stop.

Again, are you actually in Service Mode? Get a screen print, screen shot or image with your phone of the Service Tool screen(s) and post.
Since for service mode the printer must be the only USB device on your PC, watch the printer in the device list.
When it goes in service mode correctly, I observed the printer disappears from the USB list.

Last edited:

real-nowhere-man

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PRO-1
Hello together,

Just got my PRO-1 back to life with a 6700 Error / 26 times flashing yellow and 006 service tool error thanks to this forum.

I accidentally unplugged my Pro-1 from the wall over christmas, and there it was lying for a week without tension. When I switched it on again, yellow and white leds startet flashing 26 times.

Followed all the above mentioned steps, but could not get past 006 error in 0034 and other versions of service tool.
Changed the CR2032 battery with the printer plugged in. Nothing changed.

Somehow the printer did not appear in Windows 10 Device Manager, neither in normal or in service mode when plugged in via USB. I tried to use a newer computer to access the printer via usb, i don't know whether I had the right drivers properly installed on that one. So i switched to an old computer installation where i had the drivers still installed. There the printer popped up in the Device Manager.

I then tried to get into service mode by clicking several times on the power switch with the white led and the other with the yellow one - until i figured out that I always used the wrong combination! The one at the start of this post from swisscow suggests to press the yellow button 4 times after first holding it while pressing the white power button first and meanwhile holding the white power button. This also put my printer in the strange mode described in the first post of this thread where the printer operates some mechanics and you are able to print nozzle checks by operating it via the buttons. But the yellow led button has to be pressed 5 times to get into service mode!!

So - press yellow led button (left one), hold it while pressing white led button (right one). Then release yellow button and while holding white button press yellow button 5 (five) times. the led should start flashing between yellow and white and be yellow after the last time pressing the yellow button. then release white led button and you should be in service mode.

With that setting I was able to use service tool v0034 to "set time" (under other - operation) and it confirmed me with a message that something was applied. I could not reset the wetting liquid counter at that time, it was giving me a 009 error.

So I then turned the printer off via the white led button, waited a minute, and turned it on via the white led power button - and there it started it's usual initiation procedure after not using it for a while, i.e. head cleaning.

Now it is printing again.

Thanks to you all that enabled me to get so far and give this printer hopefully some more lifetime! Just registered to the forum to share this with you.

swisscow

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
That's awesome, thanks a lot, @real-nowhere-man, for letting us know and congrats on fixing your PRO-1! 🥳

I just had a look at my locked-in-6700-Pro1 again and tried various different numbers of button presses -- including the 5 times that you suggested -- but nothing help getting into service mode. Now also I've read in this forum that for many Pro1s (especially for the newer ones) it's not possible anymore to get into service mode. So now I'm simply "accepting" that this is not going to work out for mine...

Now on the good side of things, I was lucky and received two Pro1s for free which show the B200 error (orange LED flashing 10 times). I refilled the cartridges of both (bought at topink24.de) and after couple of cleaning rounds one of them is now fully back to life and doesn't go into B200 anymore. Unfortunately the second one is still after the refill in B200...
Now what I've read so far is that the B200 seems to be related to issues with the printhead but now after my experience and also with what I've read so far, it looks like often a cartridge replacement/refill is simply fixing the B200.

Now I'm quite curious about how my fixed printer will do in the coming weeks. As mentioned, I refilled the (non-original) cartridges in the printer and also in this forum @The Hat mentioned multiple times that refilling the cartridges without replacing the chip is not a good idea because then it's wasting big amounts of ink on every startup (because the ink level is now always on low? I don't fully understand the reason). Now another friend told me that he's been using the Pro1 in this mode (manually refill the cartridges and then simply having to press the resume button before each print) for a very long time and he didn't feel that it had consumed ink like crazy. Let's see 🙂

It's a pity there's no chip-resetter available for the Pro1. But in case I see that the ink consumption is indeed very high, I'll maybe buy a set of fresh chips... By the way: I just read that very recently Canon switched to allowing using third-party chip-less toners for some of their printers due to the ongoing worldwide chip shortage! Just google "canon chip shortage". How cool would it have been if the Pro1 was also on that list of printers where they allow that 😋

Thanks again, @real-nowhere-man, for your post.