Pro9500 Nozzle Check Pattern Question

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I would include one or two extra steps to Palombian's suggestion. The extra step is the following. Using the cleaning solution make sure that you refill the cartridge with the ammonia solution using the dribble method NOT the fast and furious forced storage clip method. During this process, fill via dribbling over the ENTIRE pad to backflush the pad. Remove the contents via the storage clip contraption and repeat, then use the filled cartridge as per Palombian's suggestion. The other part is to also backflush the printhead with a stream of warm water after the soaking in the ammonia solution as per Palombian. My suspicion is that the filter below the mesh screen on the printhead is blocked with large particles of pigment. By backflushing from the nozzle plate so that the water exits the intake screen, we should be able to slowly push these partciles back out. Do NOT force the particles in the normal ink flow direction. This will further embed the large particles trapped in the filter.

Good luck but my guess is that there is some form of mechanical blockage compromising flow.

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Update: I gave it another cleaning with ammonia and compressed air, ran a cleaning cycle and got a near perfect nozzle check pattern. The next two test pages were each a bit worse. Then I isolated the cartridge (per my method above) and this time I got a completely blank page. So I'm throwing in the towel with respect to MBK. It's actually not such a big deal, and may even be a blessing, since I make my own profiles. I'll just need to swap chips on a MBK cart and use it in the PBK slot when I create the new profiles. Maybe I'll start to get some halfway decent matte results and be able to print to the margin, as well. ;) I'll need to order so new inks though, hopefully something else won't go wrong before I go through them. I know the dyes are easier to work with but there is something satisfying about the pigments.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and happy new year!!!

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks, @mikling, the cartridges are ok because they print normal test patterns with my alternate print head (the one with dead PBK nozzle). I'm inclined to agree with you about the backflushing and give it another go. When I did, I was surprised how little MBK ink came out of the intake screen compared to the other colors. Also, I wasn't using warm water which would have helped. I saw that I still had quite a few unused original carts plus used ones suitable for recycling or refilling, so I went ahead and ordered a set of your inks. Hoping for some printer / print head longevity now.

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Good news! The printer was turned off for a while. Now getting a clean nozzle check pattern on all colors. Go figure...