Pro9500 Nozzle Check Pattern Question

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My nozzle check printout shows a stubborn problem with MBK despite a lot cleaning, cartridge changing, etc. The best I've managed is the partial printout. The blank one is the most recent. In between, however, I was able to isolate the MBK cartridge and print from it nearly perfectly. I'm not sure what the white glitch at the bottom is. I did a second print, isolating the PBK cartridge as a reality check. Is it possible that my print head nozzles are actually blocked but the printer is making extra passes to compensate for this?

IMG_1123.jpg
IMG_1122.jpg

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
My first thought would be a stubborn blockage of MBK passageways in that head's channel, followed by a cart flow problem then a purge system problem (which should effect other colors).

But I have to ask, how did you go about "isolating" printing from the MBK cart only??

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I created a new doc in PS with 4"x6" dimensions. I created an all-black fill layer. I printed it out being careful to use front feed, Fine Art Premium Matte and Margin 35 in the printer settings. My PS printer settings used the corresponding profile. Here's a screenshot.

Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 3.57.26 PM.jpg

The print head has been cleaned with ammonia, water and compressed air. I've done two deep cleaning cycles and numerous regular ones. Changing the cartridge didn't make a difference. I have another print head (with different issues) that prints a good patch for MBK. I don't mind avoiding matte papers as my results have been so wretched. Is MBK only used with the fine art matte papers or is it ever blended in? I am curious, however, to understand how all of this works. Even though I rarely print on matte surfaces, I do go through MBK ink, unlike grey which lasts forever.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@InkMiser, you have a big problem so don’t print any test sheets till you can get a good nozzle print again, otherwise you risk damaging the print head, if it is not already damaged !

Replace the MBK cartridge with a known good cartridge, even a new compatible one, but don’t use another refilled one, it may have the same issues.

If a PGl-9 cartridge develops a problem, it takes a lot of cleaning to get it to preform 100% again, and you need to first eliminate the possibility that it’s not an ink flow issue in the MBK cartridge, but if it’s not then your print head has an electrical problem..

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
@The Hat, here it is with a brand new cart:
IMG_1126.jpg

It's slightly better than what I got before printing out the full page of matte black.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I am sorry to say this but the print head has had it, and no amount of cleaning will fix it, your latest nozzle print is almost the same as your very first one.

Now you idea of printing 4 x 6 in PS on Matte paper doesn’t work because the printer will use BK black and not the MBK, so you end up with false readings, you should have set the printer to plain paper and then you’d have got your answer straight away.

Trying to clean the print head outside the machine is not recommended on the 9500, it’s much better to let the printer handle all maintenance itself, it usually can clean any sort of clog reasonably quickly..

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The image size was 4x6 on an 8.5x11 canvas. My control was to print the same image with settings for glossy paper and it came out much darker, as in the photo in the original post.So, at a minimum, different inks or combinations thereof were used.

As far as there being an electrical problem, that seems most likely now. I've run a few more cleaning cycles and my results are all over the place. Some new areas are printing at the expense of old ones but never consistently.

I've almost finished my current set of inks, so it's time for a new printer when the right rebate comes around. Can I continue to use this print head as long as I avoid matte surfaces?

Thanks for all of your help.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
An "electrical problem" would typically produce consistent defects from test-to-test after cleaning attempts. Your latest image appears to show nozzles that are not being supplied ink, rather than being misfired.

If you want to take a higher level of risk, I would force Windex through the MBK channel using a syringe (I use a turkey baster) into the cart inlet screen, to see if there is a blockage that your cleaning attempts have not resolved.

I am not certain how the print driver handles MBK ink. It could be blended. Actually, the nozzle test print does segregate each cart color individually. With other inputs, the only true way to know is to fill all the other carts with clear ink (distilled water or windex) and then make your test print. It is quite possible that MBK is used on matte paper,but it may not be the ONLY black being used, but could be mixed with another black.

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
9500 clogs are normally not difficult to resolve.

As already suggested, I would fill the cartridges (at least the 5 of the channel where MBK is part of) with a cleaning solution (with some ammonia to dissolve the pigment) and do 2 deep cleanings on that channel, wait overnight, do 1 again, place a known good MBK cart again and test.
This also cleans the purge system.

A cartridge problem is not to be excluded.
If you don't have any more good MBK's ready, transfer the chip of another color to test.

Good luck and happy Newyear !

PS: on the contrary, with the small Canon dye printers cleaning the head outside is much faster than the described inside method.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@InkMiser, All dough some of the nozzles are not firing (damaged) on the MBK channels, the print head is perfectly safe to use and will work very well on glossy and Matte papers, you can also use it on plain paper but the results will be poor.

It can be used for Glop overprints also, sorry about the print head.. :(