Pro9500 II – Partially Clogged Nozzle

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Here's a sample of my nozzle check pattern. Half of the PBP is printing at partial density.

IMG_1099.jpg

I've cleaned the head with ammonia and compressed air, run several cleaning cycles and one deep cleaning cycle. Normally, I keep my 9500 turned on when not in use but I discovered recently that it had been off for several weeks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

[EDIT]

I found a post on DP Review suggesting that this is an electrical problem in the printhead and unfixable.

Last edited:

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
That 50% pattern indicates an electrical problem. Not a clog.

Joe

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks, Joe, should I chuck this print head? I have a backup that is more functional but still not perfect.

Max

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@InkMiser, don’t chuck the damaged print head it may come in handy later, it still can print coloured brochures, Calendars and greeting carts but not photos, it can also be used for overprinting gloss optimiser with it’s own set of cartridges.

scottda

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II
I've got a similar problem, same printer model. The yellow only prints the upper half on a nozzle check. Have done multiple cleanings including deep cleaning. 3rd yellow cartridge, still the same. I only use original ink carts and don't do refills. Is this a print head issue? Does it need to be replaced or is it repairable.
Thanks, Scott
upload_2016-1-14_15-4-39.png

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Whatever you do with such a printhead - it might damage the printer board too... sooner or later.. and at the worst this printer can damage a brand new printhead

I just heard about a pro-1, that If there is an error message (B200) or blinking of a damaged printhead the canon service would renew both the head and the printer board.

But as long as there is no blockage or bad error message chances are high to get it fixed with another head. If the printer is not too old (like my canon's) it may be a case of guarantee..?

Last edited:

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm guessing that we'd be in extended warranty territory by now ;)

The consensus seems to be we need new print heads. I happened to have an extra (courtesy of Canon) but I'd be reluctant to buy one for a six year old printer. I'm open to cannibalizing parts from a deal on Craig's List.

scottda

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro9500 Mark II
I found one on inkjetprinthead.com. Claims it's genuine Canon and less than half the price on Amazon. I'll give it a try.

InkMiser

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Dunno... $145 for a new print head when (in the US) you can buy a Pro-10 for $350 after the rebate?

Correction: $450 after rebate, so that print head is looking like a better deal.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I found one on inkjetprinthead.com. Claims it's genuine Canon and less than half the price on Amazon. I'll give it a try.
Hi @scottda and welcome, I reckon you’d be better off avoiding that print head and buying one from Canon direct, at least you’d know it was genuine and not a refurbished one.

Cavete Emptor.. :fl