Please recommend compatible BCI-6 for Canon ip4000 printer

thl777

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a Canon ip4000 and very happy with the performance for the past 2 years while using OEM Canon ink. I found myself no longer able to afford the price of OEM so I went to a place call Private-Abacus and ordered a bunch of their BCI-6 compatible, they were very cheap (about $1.75/cartridge). However, I have nothing but problems with them. I don't print too often maybe a few times a month, sometimes the printer will be sitting there for a few weeks without any use. The first unusual observation with these Abacus ink was I noticed they were consuming at an unusual fast rate, I constantly getting the low ink warning even when I'm not using it. I couldn't find any leak checking with a flashlight, so I replaced them with new cartridges but the same low ink warning comes back after a few weeks of not printing much. These occurred only with the BCI-6, the black BCI-3 seems to behave normally. Also the ink doesn't seems to flow well as I often have to use the clean cycle at least 3 times to get the ink flowing. I suspect Abacus is the problem, their ink they used is either the G&G or the AO100. I noticed there are many non-OEM suppliers out there, can someone with good experience please recommend a reliable brand for my printer so I don't have to cough up $$$ for Canon ink, thanks in advance.

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
If you still have a set of empty OEM carts, try buying a Hobbicolors refill kit and refill them yourself.

You will find it very easy and low cost, and that will be an end to your cartridge problems.

thl777

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Yes, I still have the OEM Canon cartridges but I'm afraid they are all dry out by now. I heard that once they are dry its useless, right? Is there a reliable source I can buy empty cartridges?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
You can purge the cartridges to revive them, dry and refill and they will be as good as brand new cartridges. The original cartridges are far superior to any aftermarket cartridges.

thl777

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
That's great to know I can still use the old dried out Canon cartridges, I assumee the procedures to purge them are posted somewhere here, I will search for them, thanks.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Ah... Abacus again. It's definitely no no. They are not cheap either. Asian factories make these products with an objective of low cost low price and win the market. Quality is never in their objectives. It ought to be a lesson learned. A friend once gave me a dysfunctional Epson multifunction printer. It came with a full set of compatible ink cartridges in it. I quickly took a set of OEM ink cartridges out of a working Epson printer and installed them in the multifunction. A few cleaning cycles later the printer was fully functional again. I used it problem free for a couple of months until I passed it on to another friend because I have too many printers. But according to the friend who donated it to me he had nothing but troubles with the printer. It turned out that all the troubles were caused by the compatible cartridges from those Asian factories.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Have you seen my two videos of filling very old and very dry Canon cartridges? It might make a believer out of you.

But after refilling, I would not let the sponge dry out again, I would refill and top off all the dye inks whenever any one of them registers low. And I would do the same with the black pigment cartridge. In other words, if the black pigment registers low just refill it, if any dye register low, refill all the dyes.