Please help ! Printer calibration disaster

Anadrol

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
@Ink stained Fingers Great idea about GamutVision thanks, that's interesting software.

@The Hat Thank you very much, I won't go see a shrink then !
You are right on, yes ultimately I will use a profile made with glossy paper, and I will adjust the paper media / ink intensity settings.

But I do wonder if it's not rather an issue coming from the Xrite software, as it may try to compensate colors in a way that gives weird results.
My 2033 patches from i1Profiler look even closer to the TIFF file with the PRO-10S compared to the PRO-100S.
It's very surprising though that I don't have any profiling issues with plain paper if printed with dye inks.
Now I'm waiting the test charts from "Canon Color Management Tool Pro" to dry out, this way I'll calibrate without the Xrite software to see if there's still this issue.

@stratman I tried different plain papers yes.
I also tried to calibrate on matte high end paper (PM-101) but the Platinum glossy paper (PT-101) gives the best results.

I have this issue with both the PRO-1 and PRO-10S so that doesn't come from the specific printer or inks set, so it seems to be a whole pigment inks/printer problem.
The i1Pro 2 works perfectly with dye inks on plain paper, and pigment inks on glossy, so that would be surprising that the issue comes from the actual hardware device,
I really think that the issue comes from the Xrite software, i1Profiler, but soon I'll get the results from "Canon Color Management Tool Pro" so we'll find out !
I also tried in i1Profiler to save the scan settings and then tell the software that it was actually glossy or matte paper instead of plain (but printed in reality on plain), but that doesn't change anything.

Thanks all for your insights !

Anadrol

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
I HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION !

I tried endless combinations but the problem actually came from i1Profiler, when you print the ColorChecker proof !

When you print the test charts you have to unactivate of course color management,
and I thought that at the end of profiling, when you print the ColorChecker proof to test your profile, you need to specify in the printer utility the newly created ICC profile.

WRONG ! You need to still disable color management, because what actually happens is that i1Profiler actually modifies the colors of the NewColorCheckerChart.tif file !
The NewColorCheckerChart.tif file is tied to a specific ICC profile.
Of course, when you print your actual pictures, you then have to enable the ICC profile.

I will soon post scans, the PRO-10S is actually much better than the PRO-100S on plain paper ! Pigment wins against dye ! Contrary to most people that never tried it claim...

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.

Anadrol

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Well dye inks from Aomya are 3.80 USD per liter and pigment inks are 17.80 USD per liter (I negociated).

Last edited: