Planning on getting the Pro 10 or Pro 100 ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Well if you are then I would suggest you think strongly about fitting an external waste tank on it before you even start to use it.

There are two good reasons for fitting one; the first is you never have to worry about the ink absorber pads filling up on you not even once !

The other reason is you can see at a glance each time the printer does actually purge and dump ink on you, and you may be able to reduce the amount of purging it does and so cut down on the wastage.

Now you may think it doesn’t concern you but after a while using the printer you may start to wonder if it is wasting ink each time it starts to hum, purr and clatter.

But if you have a waste tank fitted you’ll know exactly whether it’s just preparing to print or is in fact dumping ink, it’s an extra ink monitor that works in your favour.

Now it’s not difficult at all to just pop the top cover on the Pro printers and once you do that you will be able to see how easy it is to fit the tubing for an external waste tank..

If you’re not going to refill it is even more essential that you watch your ink costs !

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
The technical manual details the ml of ink lost by operation.
These amounts are considerable but can IMO not be changed by the user.

Purging can only be reduced by planning the printer use.

Changing all cartridges at once (or at least all of group A or B) when one is empty is the first step (as you already mentioned before - when you refill the ink is not lost).

There are also purging cycles depending on the days the printer is not used.
While this suggests it is better to use the printer at least every other day, it is not mentioned if there is a standard additional loss every time the printer is switched on.

Does printing a daily nozzle check uses more ink than what is printed on the paper ?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Do you have instructions on fitting an external waste tank for these printers?

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Well if you are then I would suggest you think strongly about fitting an external waste tank on it before you even start to use it.

There are two good reasons for fitting one; the first is you never have to worry about the ink absorber pads filling up on you not even once !

The other reason is you can see at a glance each time the printer does actually purge and dump ink on you, and you may be able to reduce the amount of purging it does and so cut down on the wastage.

Now you may think it doesn’t concern you but after a while using the printer you may start to wonder if it is wasting ink each time it starts to hum, purr and clatter.

But if you have a waste tank fitted you’ll know exactly whether it’s just preparing to print or is in fact dumping ink, it’s an extra ink monitor that works in your favour.

Now it’s not difficult at all to just pop the top cover on the Pro printers and once you do that you will be able to see how easy it is to fit the tubing for an external waste tank..

If you’re not going to refill it is even more essential that you watch your ink costs !

I am listening, and you have my full attention.

All I need to see now is to see examples of real world installations.

From what I have read, on this site and others, is that the installation is fraught with difficulties unless you are a committed techy geek type, which is not me.

Would love to install one if it is practical.

Roy Sletcher
Writing from the "Skeptics Tank", where the grass is always greener.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The hardest part to installing a waste tank is having the courage to pop the top cover from the printer.

After that you’re in and then at that point you can decide whether to continue with the installation or stop and just refit the top cover, and walk away but you can say you tried.

I have full instructions for the Pro 9500 which is much the same as the other Pro printers, the location of the release clips (Top Cover) might be in a slightly different position that’s all, It’s easier than an MP830

It takes no more that 5 minutes to remove the top cover, 10 if you want to take it slowly and there are no hidden switches, batteries or sensors to catch you out, its easy peasy in fact.

If anyone wishes to investigate it any further then PM me and I’ll send you a Word doc (Just Text) and if you still want to take it further and wish to see it in pictures then I can send on the PDF. (bigger file)

The good part about fitting a waste tank is if for whatever reason you need to put your machine back to factory default (New) again.
Then you only need to pop the cover again, whip out the wiper box, disconcert the extension tube from the external tank and refit the tube to the purge unit and its back as it was in 15 minutes..

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
If they are not easily found online @The Hat can i suggest any instructions you have for any model of Canon and fitting waste ink tanks you upload on something like sockshare (free and no registration needed) or mediafire or firedrive (again free options but have to register) as a few examples.

Id be interested what is involved for various models of Canon if you have instructions for various models, perhaps .rar or .zip them up :)

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
QUICK SURVEY -

Will anybody who is successfully doing this modification please send a message to this thread indicating ease of installation, and results?

RS

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
...and what about resetting the waste ink counter on a PRO-100?
Simples.. :)
How to enter Service Mode:-

Have the printer off to start with.
Hold in the Resume button (Orange) and then press the Power button (Blue).
While holding in both then release the Resume button only.
Now press the Resume button five times slowly and the release the Power button.
When the Power button light goes steady, you are now in Service Mode.
-------------------------------------------
Edit: Note change.. Re:- 5 times
Then run the Service Tool program and you’re away with the mixer..:weee

P.S. @CakeHole I only have it for the Pro 9500 at present, sorry..