Pixma Pro-1 ink absorber is almost full error code 1700, 1701

alek351

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Hello,
after a long period of inactivity my Pro-1 display the 8 blink "ink absorber is almost full" error code on power on and refuses to print.
Also a "pressurising" sound can be heard as if the printer is attempting to blow air into the cartridges.
I have attempted to put the printer into service mode (the 5x resume trick).
Service tool v3400 appears to recognise the printer (undimmed menus), but clicking EEProm gives error code 005.

Any suggestions or help will be highly appreciated.

--Alek

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Any suggestions or help will be highly appreciated.
Hi Alek, the good news is;- If you press the Resume/Cancel button for two seconds, you will then be able to continue using your printer for a little while longer..

The Service Tool V3400 does work on your printer but only if the printer can enter Service Mode itself, to check this have a look at your nozzle check print, if wording or firmware Version appear at the bottom of the page then your out of luck.

Only old Pro 1 printers with firmware Versions under V2.00 can be accessed with a Service Tool, and your only other option and answer is to return it to Canon for refurbishment and upgrade, this will be very costly..

P.S. A second hand Pro 10 might be a better and cheaper option than to continue nursemaiding the Pro 1.. Sorry..

alek351

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Thanks for a swift answer, although not the one I had hoped for. Pressing the Resume/cancel button for 2 secs or more does not resolve the problem.

Does the Pro 10 produce higher quality prints than say a Epson Expression Photo XP-15000 in your opinion ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Does the Pro 10 produce higher quality prints than say a Epson Expression Photo XP-15000 in your opinion
Pressing the Resume/Cancel button only works once for the 1701 error, but when the absorbers become full then no further printing can take place..

I have no idea of the quality of the Epson 15000, I was using the Pro 10 as a very good alternative for the Pro 1, anyway isn’t the Epson 15000 a dye ink printer ?

alek351

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Pressing the Resume/Cancel button only works once for the 1701 error, but when the absorbers become full then no further printing can take place..

I have no idea of the quality of the Epson 15000, I was using the Pro 10 as a very good alternative for the Pro 1, anyway isn’t the Epson 15000 a dye ink printer ?
Yes, you are right.
Two last questions if I may:
1/ Are dye inks substantially worse in your opinion ?
2/ Do you have an opinion on the new pro-200 ?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
My take:

OEM dye inks can be as good or even better than pigments.
See @Keith Cooper 's excellent video:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/video-printing-editing-wide-gamut-images/

Sadly enough 3th party dye inks fade fast, much faster than 3th party pigments.
With CO printers as the PRO-1, PRO-10, PRO-1000 can produce a decent gloss and that's why I prefer them (in particular the PRO-10) for refilling.

As can be seen above the PRO-200 is an excellent printer (as is the Epson 15000) but according to @mikling (owner of Precision Colors) the 15000 is easier to refill (see José Rodriguez video's) - if you don't care about the fading.

alek351

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
My take:

OEM dye inks can be as good or even better than pigments.
See @Keith Cooper 's excellent video:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/video-printing-editing-wide-gamut-images/

Sadly enough 3th party dye inks fade fast, much faster than 3th party pigments.
With CO printers as the PRO-1, PRO-10, PRO-1000 can produce a decent gloss and that's why I prefer them (in particular the PRO-10) for refilling.

As can be seen above the PRO-200 is an excellent printer (as is the Epson 15000) but according to @mikling (owner of Precision Colors) the 15000 is easier to refill (see José Rodriguez video's) - if you don't care about the fading.
Thanks for the insight.