jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Sure. The final effect is a darker or lighter print but the ways you get there are not related at all and totally different.
I can pour black ink onto paper or I can spray it with an airbrush ( Intensity ).
But sure the final "Look" is the same with either.

By the way I have never experienced any difference between this version of PRO-100 PC ink or even the earlier one.
But the I always custom profile.
Not just cause I happen like Mike either!
Joe

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
So far in this epic, the key piece of information from the OP is that the nozzle checks look substantively different between Canon OEM and Precision Colors inksets, what one may call "brightness" and others "intensity", the resulting appearance possibly indistinguishable from the other.

As long as OP is using the same paper for the tests, and it is a given that nozzle checks bypass custom ICM's, then this points to an issue with the ink itself, either wrong ink(s) in the cartridge(s) or contamination between two or more cartridges. Of course, there is the possibility of a fubared printer or print head, but that would be unusual given the circumstances reported so far.

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
So far in this epic, the key piece of information from the OP is that the nozzle checks look substantively different between Canon OEM and Precision Colors inksets, what one may call "brightness" and others "intensity", the resulting appearance possibly indistinguishable from the other.

As long as OP is using the same paper for the tests, and it is a given that nozzle checks bypass custom ICM's, then this points to an issue with the ink itself, either wrong ink(s) in the cartridge(s) or contamination between two or more cartridges. Of course, there is the possibility of a fubared printer or print head, but that would be unusual given the circumstances reported so far.

Given that once I fixed every other variable and got the Canon ink to finally print exactly what I saw on my screen, I can rule out any printer or print head failure. I did have issues right out of the gate when I first got the Pro-100. But, using my main monitor as a gaming screen with brightness and gamma adjusted for Counter-Strike Source didn't help the photography much...LOL! But, I got serious about testing and calibrating my monitor, creating a 5000K lighting station to view prints, and finally was satisfied with my printing, I had a stable base to compare against once I switched to PC ink.

More tests will follow. But, I don't feel the overwhelming need to fix anything right now since -15 Intensity seems to be working perfectly for me. When I do revisit this, I will be spending at least an entire day with many tests and with costly consumables.
I've given a lot of thought to how I handled the flushing of these eBay carts and refilling and I'm sure I was systematic in my approach to make sure the proper ink went into the correct cartridge. I read about those nightmares beforehand and was aware of how I could've messed up if I wasn't diligent.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Look IF I could get a darker Cyan than OEM CLI-42. Please forward it to me. Wish I could get a darker Cyan in the "world". I am serious. This is one step towards not needing a custom profile.
The OP needs to submit pics of the problem he is having.
This is getting totally ridiculous. How many prints amongst how images has this been ocurring. I also suggested that he use a plain browser to print stuff on plain paper and see what the results are. Need to step back and start.

As Roy Sletcher has said Color Damagement is quite often the issue.

I spent a few feet of paper on learning how to use color management properly but before that, one needs to print WITHOUT these darn advanced tools. Blame the inks Blame the inks. a -15 is a significant issue as I have SHOWN. One Cyan color will not cause that.

I'm going on holidays tomorrow and yesterday I only had 4 (FOUR) hours of sleep. I finished my signature edition of the Pro-10 and Pro-1 in the last two weeks and totally immersed in that as well as getting stuff out. I averaged 6 hours sleep and 16 hours working on these inks in the last 2 weeks. NOT AVAILABLE TILL MID-LATE OCTOBER.

Use OEM setting for perfect and I mean perfect results to OEM. Use aftermarket paper profiles like OEM.
Shocking.

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
You guys keep through about "OP" like I'm supposed to know what that is.

Last edited:

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Someone mentioned experimenting with letting the printer manage the color. I thought this would a simple thing, but I have no clue how to enable this. Is it setting Color/Intensity to Auto? Is it Color Correction to Driver Matching? Is it Color Management->Managed by Printer? There are umpteen different combinations to test. In the immortal words of Jack Nicholson, "Do I marry her? Do I ice her? Which one of these?"

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Just a side note: I do understand that editing a profile is not recommended.
Aside from editing for printing there is a easy way to "fine tune" the profiled results for the actual print available in "Qimage" . But both methods are kind of "non orthodox", because the profile should do the colors matching.
(Needless to say: the brightness of a print depends on the lighting condition ... and maybe on your eyesight .. matching brightness and contrast of your monitor is even more difficult than matching colors, I think...)
But what I don''t understand is that most answers seem to totally disapprove the value of nozzle checks... I have not thought about this yet... but anyway it bypasses all color settings...!?