PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, HP 7760, RX500
That thousand of people have used this profile and even with Joe's profile, you need to do the same indicates a workflow issue. Same result when using OEM ink as well.
Second point, and an important one.......did you softproof the result? No. Time for more reading and then checking your workflow. Not an ink issue because it started apparently with the OEM inks as well.
Color management took me years to understand and a few feet of paper ( not long but HIGH) in the process.

Here's another strange anomaly to your adventure. Why does the first print come out a little dark but when compared to the OEM prints stated later appears a little undersaturated. This is counter to your first observation. Isn't it?

Looking at the adventure and over filling which we saw the evidence for, I can suspect that when you first filled your carts, you might have cross contaminated the grays due to overfilling and this would explain the darkness if somehow GY got into LGY or some other darker color got into a lighter color. Then when the cross contamination was purged through more printing then you observed the under saturation. Which is there and why the ICCs are provided.

Next do a nozzle check and compare the color bars and how close the Photo Colors are to the Normal colors. You could also have put the incorrect ink into the tanks but then it would not be a case of intensity but cast. I'll put money that Cyan is in the PhotoCyan.
I was very systematic in my approach to filling these cartridges. I'm absolutely sure there was not cross contamination.
I've just started learning about soft proofing. Safe to say I haven't got the hang of it yet.
And I wouldn't put too much weight on being under saturated; it's barely noticeable.
The fact is that when compared side-by-side the Canon ink vs PC ink w/-15 Intensity are virtually identical. So, none of the mixings of inks could've happened otherwise they wouldn't be so close.
It's safe to say that no one has experienced the darkening I've experienced.
Here's the thing: it took me a while to get the right ICC profile, paper, viewing lighting, monitor calibration to get the Canon ink to work perfectly. When I change only two things, the ICM profile and PC ink, it's darker. By brightening it (-15 Intensity), it's nearly an exact match. It's that simple.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
An intriguing situation. To summarise:

I am reading PaloDolphins comments as being completely credible. He is an experienced and competent photographer and printmaker and he describes his problem using objective and relevant terminology.

On the other hand I, and many others, have used the exact items (Pro 100, PC Inks, commercial profiles, standard inkjet paper) and achieved flawless results. In my opinion the Pro100 is a docile beast, simple to use and easily managed. PC inks colour properties are so close to OEM as to be almost indistinguishable.

He admits to being something of a newcomer to colour management. In situations like this I sometimes think the term COLOUR DAMAGEMENT is more appropriate.

My opinion is that somewhere there is a small setting, parameter or adjustment relating to the software, profile or printer that needs adjusting.

The only suggestion I can make is: Have you tried making a print disabling the ICC profile and letting printer manage colour? Your are using Canon paper, and the PC inks are so close to OEM that it should be a valid test. The result should be an extremely close match to the prints you have already made.

Fortunately the Canon paper and PC inks are cheap enough to permit experimentation.

rs

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
An intriguing situation. To summarise:

I am reading PaloDolphins comments as being completely credible. He is an experienced and competent photographer and printmaker and he describes his problem using objective and relevant terminology.

He admits to being something of a newcomer to colour management. In situations like this I sometimes think the term COLOUR DAMAGEMENT is more appropriate.
I'm getting the impression that modifying an ICM profile is not the path to wander down. Thanks guys.
The only suggestion I can make is: Have you tried making a print disabling the ICC profile and letting printer manage colour? Your are using Canon paper, and the PC inks are so close to OEM that it should be a valid test. The result should be an extremely close match to the prints you have already made.

Fortunately the Canon paper and PC inks are cheap enough to permit experimentation.
That'll be an interesting test. I was also going to try printing with PC ink and a Canon ICM file. It's nice to be able to experiment when the cost of consumables is affordable. I'll probably get to it tomorrow.
@Roy Sletcher, PaloDolphin? Am I a radioactive dolphin? :eek:

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
I agree with @Roy Sletcher and @mikling : you need to reduce the number of variable parts in your testing. You've got too many moving pieces to be able to pinpoint the issue you are having.
For example, if you currently have PC ink loaded, pick a paper and print an image allowing the printer to manage colors. Using the same ink and paper, print the same image with a different profile.
If you want to change inks do so and print an image - throw this one away as it will most likely have impure inks. Then follow the same print scheme above.
The goal is to have prints with specific changes applied so that you can analyze what those changes did.
Sorry to be so pedantic but I've seen, elsewhere, to many decisions made based on muddled tests.

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Explain this:
_MG_5626.1_ig.jpg

apetitphoto

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-3620 , Epson wf-7210
Without knowing 1) what as done and 2) what "this" is, there is nothing to explain.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Explain this:
_MG_5626.1_ig.jpg

All nozzles are firing. Probably to Canon specs. Nothing more, nothing less.

Probably safe to proceed with printing images without frying the print-head.

What is your interpretation?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
It would be better if you used normal paper for the nozzle checks, rather than grey paper. Otherwise they look pretty good to me.

PalaDolphin

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
It would be better if you used normal paper for the nozzle checks, rather than grey paper. Otherwise they look pretty good to me.
This was a snapshot; it was white paper.