Paper / Printer profiling with ArgyllCms and EFI ES 1000 for a newbie

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
luminous landscape forum is not free, you have to pay to register, so i can't ask there.
Have you been banned from the ArgyllCMS help forum? Why aren't you using the experts there instead of talking to yourself here?

Once again...

1637339731250.png

Note the part about "knowledgeable people able to help you".

BTW, you don't need to join the mailing list to read the forum archives.

mavtop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 15000
Have you been banned from the ArgyllCMS help forum? Why aren't you using the experts there instead of talking to yourself here?

Once again...

View attachment 13229

Note the part about "knowledgeable people able to help you".

BTW, you don't need to join the mailing list to read the forum archives.
Hi stratman, i'm sorry to see that i disturb you, i was supposing this was a printer forum and is the only where i found information about argyllcms and colormunky combination.
I thought that writing here someone could answer to my questions and so was, so i'm sorry again if i disturb you.
Usually in the mailing list is not so easy to find what you are looking, google engine is better in this, infact while i found this fourm with the information i was looking, i didn't find a tread from the mailing-list of the argyllcms that you wrote on
Anyway i will search also there, but repeat i was supposing this was a printing forum, so also paper profiling is an interesting topic that is printer related.
If i have to stop writing here let me know

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
i didn't find a tread from the mailing-list of the argyllcms that you wrote on
I do not understand your comment. Did you join the mailing list? If you have then you can ask your questions about ArgyllCMS there.

The archives are what they are - other people's questions. Again - join the mailing list and then ask your questions.

If i have to stop writing here let me know
Write. Don't write. It makes little difference in your success with ArgyllCMS since this is not the ArgyllCMS help forum.

Everyone wants you succeed. Get off your duff and go to where the answers reside.

Then come back and share your triumph.

mavtop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 15000
I do not understand your comment. Did you join the mailing list? If you have then you can ask your questions about ArgyllCMS there.
stratman, just to clarify, no i didn't join the mailing list, because i know how those work, usually you post and someone answer, but what i mean is if i want to search in the mail archive (maybe someone had my same troubles) it usually can't be done because a search engine is not included, but you have to scroll all the archives and search page by page or tread by tread a topic hoping it has your answer/questions.
This can be time consuming and maybe you will not find your answers easily.
I used google search engine and i found this forum so this is because i'm here and i'm happy to be here, because you all helped me to solve my "little problems".
I'm not. a printer guru so this implied to make a lot of questions i know, sorry about it
The archives are what they are - other people's questions. Again - join the mailing list and then ask your questions.

Write. Don't write. It makes little difference in your success with ArgyllCMS since this is not the ArgyllCMS help forum.

Everyone wants you succeed. Get off your duff and go to where the answers reside.

Then come back and share your triumph.
I'm happy that you want i succeed and i would like too :)

Anyway now i'm at home and i printed some sheet of charts (with 860 patches each one on A4R (because easier for me to read) to discover that the dimensions of the tiff sheet also if stated for an A4/A4R in real are bigger than A4/A4R so if i print on A4/A4R borderless the first or last row of patterns is smaller than others. So i used A4/A4R borderless with Expansion min or A4/A4R with its default margins but i had to move the patches to the right else the first row was always cutted a little.

Is normal that the tiff files stated like A4/A4R is in real bigger than. A4/A4R borderless ?

Anyway i printed in all 12 sheets of A4/A4R in all, i wasted some ink and paper but i know it would occour to find the proper settings for profiling.

I used Adobe Color Printing Utility just to be sure that Color Management (from Epson driver) was Off, then i choose the paper type and printed on a Ferroniia Matte Paper 120gsm, on an Printasia by Ilford Photo Paper 120gsm and on a Conax (chinese i suppose) Photo Paper very brillant 230gsm.

On the last i tried also Premium Glossy (for its shining on the light) but after the print the colors were mxing (i suppose for too much ink used) so i tried Glossy but again after some minutes after the print colors were mxing and fading (specially all the strong colors) so at the end i printed with Photo Paper (like reccomended) and the colors are stable for now not mixing with others.

Now i'm letting the paper to dry i will wait some hours for the Ferronia Matte and for Printasia by ilford but i suppose a lot more for the Conax Photo Paper that i suspect will need more time to dry accurately.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
- I'm lost with your formatting issues of the patch sheets - borderless etc

- ink load can be a problem with 3rd party papers - you have to try and select different paper types in the driver

- it is my understanding that the ES-1000 is the UV cut version of the i1Pro1, it should be marked as 'UV cut' on the backside label, effects of optical brighteners are not taken care of during the measurements and change the white point of your profiles, that's not wrong as such but you should be aware of the effects when comparing profiles.

Differences between the M0 and M2 measurement modes are described here

https://www.xrite.com/-/media/xrite...ctor_what_does_it_mean/l7-510_m_factor_en.pdf

- let your patch sheets dry overnight, or rescan them next day, colors are shifting slowly over time

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...profile-patch-sheets.14996/page-3#post-131769

Last edited:

mavtop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 15000
- I'm lost with your formatting issues of the patch sheets - borderless etc
ok don't worry to much about it, the question was, why if i print an A4 tiff file it is bigger than A4 sheet ?
If i print Borderless (to have the full size of the A4) the first row is thin versus all the others, i suspect that the Argyllcms notes on the side of the chart is enlarging the dimension of the A4/A4R, but don't mind about it
- ink load can be a problem with 3rd party papers - you have to try and select different paper types in the driver
the manufacter indicates to use Epson Photo Paper but the paper in light condition was thick and brillant like the Epson Premium Gloss that i have, so i tried with that paper for first, but colors was mixing between patch in some cases and fading on some other patches, so i tried with Epson Glossy paper but the result had the same problem, less, but it was there, at the end the Epson Photo Paper did the right thing
- it is my understanding that the ES-1000 is the UV cut version of the i1Pro1, it should be marked as 'UV cut' on the backside label, effects of optical brighteners are not taken care of during the measurements and change the white point of your profiles, that's not wrong as such but you should be aware of the effects when comparing profiles.
this is strange because i was thinking the same about the i1pro rev d that i got, but no where there is UV-cut, not on the label or on the side or any other place
Differences between the M0 and M2 measurement modes are described here

https://www.xrite.com/-/media/xrite...ctor_what_does_it_mean/l7-510_m_factor_en.pdf

- let your patch sheets dry overnight, or rescan them next day, colors are shifting slowly over time

https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...profile-patch-sheets.14996/page-3#post-131769
yep i read the topic about the color shift of profile patch sheet, very interesting also if the differences are not so wide if i remember good

I have read my first dry paper 860 patches in 20 minutes, now i have a replicable method for the scanning, just 2 reread i had to do, so i suspect i'm doing it well.

But when i try to create the profile it is asking AdobeRGB1998.icc and i searched for it but it is not included with Argyllcms software, so i search on the web and it was on the Adobe website, but the download link to a page not existing, i saw there 3 versions of this file, one for Win, one for Mac and one for Linux.

Someone know if it is available in another website ?

EDIT: i solved with internet web archive i succeeded to download from adobe website on 2017

Last edited:

mavtop

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson XP 15000
After the long wait i got the first profile for the first paper

Ferrania Optijet Matte paper 120gsm

i got these results at the end

Profile check complete, peak err = 5.199439, avg err = 0.464654, RMS = 0.606981

Are these values good ?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
- I barely know the spelling of ArgyllCMS but nothing else

- O.K., fine, you then got a 'regular' i1Pro and not the UV cut version, that's o.k., differences in profiles can become visible in actual prints when the OBA content in a paper is strong, and be aware that those additives do the same as dye inks - they can fade over time and loose their effect. Get a small UV flash lamp to identify OBA's in the papers you are using.