1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Does Ink Freeze?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Official PK Poll - Is there any future in refilling?

Discussion in 'Official PK Contests, Polls, Etc.' started by sumi, Apr 12, 2016.

?

Is there any future in refilling?

1. Yes

56 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Apr 14, 2016
    berserk

berserk Printing Apprentice

Printer Model:
    If Epson and Canon can not deliver - others might step in.
    Some new techniques, some new patents together with "old" proven techniques - and perhaps new still better/cheaper inks. That market is still empty. If more reliable/cheper - Epson and Canon must follow.
    Long live the free market!

2. Apr 14, 2016
    WolfgangExler

WolfgangExler Getting Fingers Dirty

I assume there is a refilling. As Epson begins with bootles, the will find solution to prevent revenue loss. Bundeling ink bottles with activation codes will prevent using third party inks.
    High quality printers in large format areas are currently not changed and there will be a refill market as this can shrink cost dramatically

Wolfgang

PeterBJ, The Hat and Tigerman like this.
  3. Apr 14, 2016
    panos

panos Print Addict

4. Apr 14, 2016
    John Wallace

John Wallace Getting Fingers Dirty

Printer Model:
    Canon Pixma iP7250 and MG5350,
    Yes. It's a choice. Those that wish to can use refilling. I would presume this would be the case for folks who are in the design or photography business and use a lot of ink. For the likes of me who print occasionally, it's not worth the trouble, so I'm happy to continue to use cartridges.

5. Apr 14, 2016
    Roy Sletcher

Roy Sletcher Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
    Guess that goes for me too.

I like to think of it a judicious refilling, as I try to pay very close attention to the ink quality used for my refilling.

As for hack proof chips. Guess that is like the hack proof Apple iPhone that the FBI had group of "hackers" access it after apple claimed it was impossible and refused to help.

rs

6. Apr 14, 2016
    Alastair

Alastair Printing Apprentice

Printer Model:
    Canon pixma pro-1
    My view on this is simply the current cost model of cheap printer and expensive ink is not sustainable in the long term. Let's face it, the only reason for refilling is a financial one. Eventually the courts will decide that preventative chipping and other practices that pretend to be in there as protection devices for the printer hardware are outlawed. If the motor industry had a similar pricing strategy (i.e. a cheap car that can only be refuelled with every expensive own brand petrol), the anti-competition police would have struck long ago. That said, I think the tide is turning with the OEM's regularly being forced to publicly defend their strategy, so it is only a matter of time before printer consumables fall into line.

The Hat likes this.
  7. Apr 14, 2016
    Roy Sletcher

Printer Model:
    I agree with your logic.

After all, despite the manufacturer's protestations to the opposite, there is nothing magical or exceptional about their ink products that could justify their outrageous prices and policies.

Interestingly, the remote control instuctions in my Sony TV say I should only use Sony Batteries. They stop short of threatening me if I do not comply.

rs

The Hat likes this.
  8. Apr 15, 2016
    pharmacist

pharmacist Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Epson Pro 3880, 1500W, WF-7525
    The chinese engineers managed to produce refillable cartridges for the latest Epson P600 (R3000 upgrade) and the P800 (Pro 3880 upgrade).

There is also a resetter for the waste ink tank for the P800, not sure it will also the ink cartridge chips, like I had discovered a few years ago with my waste ink tank resetter.

Despite now using refillable cartridges for my Epson Pro 3880 with good success, I am going to modify my original cartridges as an alternative, using my resetter to reset the original chip.

PeterBJ and The Hat like this.
  9. Apr 15, 2016
    Roy Sletcher

Printer Model:

I am assuming you have watched JToolman's Youtube videos on the subject. They are excellent. I followed their instructions for my first refill which was a complete success. Actually, I had a minor glitch due to my clumsyness, but it was quickly resolved with advice and help from Mikling.

One of the unintended consequences of the videos seems to be spike in the eBay cost of larger cartridges to harvest. Also appears to be a lot of rogue 3880 resetters that do not work correctly.

rs

PeterBJ likes this.
  10. Apr 15, 2016
    Lucas28

Lucas28 Printer Guru

Printer Model:
    Epson Pigment
    I'm going to refill as long as possible, which is very long. I'll keep buying older (second hand) printers with refilling possibilities, so the answer to me is 'yes'

annel, palombian and PeterBJ like this.