1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: How to take pictures of gloss differential properly?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Official PK Poll - Is there any future in refilling?

Discussion in 'Official PK Contests, Polls, Etc.' started by sumi, Apr 12, 2016.

?

Is there any future in refilling?

1. Yes

74 vote(s)
    90.2%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Apr 24, 2016
    palombian

palombian Print Addict

Printer Model:
    Pro9500II MX7600 IX6550 MG8250
    The printers from the PGI-5/CLI-8 and BCI-3/6 generation are indeed sturdy (my workhorse is a MX7600 pigment with the same design).
    But for none of these printers you still can buy a new printhead, you have to search a replacement printer second hand.
    Since you may assume an older printhead (some are 10 yrs old) has only a part of the expectable life left, 1/3 of the price of a new printhead is IMO the maximum you can pay.
    Sadly enough prices are too high now (€75 for an IP5200R :eek:).

Consider also these venerable machines have no wifi, and are not supported in Windows 10.
    All of my 525/526 do, the MG8250 even has cloud connection (also a CIS film scanner), and this generation still has a cassette and a rear tray (disappeared since 550/551).
    Indeed, the printhead glides along a piece of steel i.o. a solid round tube, but the print quality did not suffer IMO.
    The cartridges are small, but I seldom print large quantities in a row.

So, since I have a stock of 525/526 printers (3 types even share the same printhead), cartridges, ink and resetter, it is not interesting for me to invest in older printers.
    I still may find a 525/526 bargain, but otherwise it is cheaper to buy a new printhead.

Same for my PGI-9 pigment line (PRO9500's and MX7600).

And since there are already ARC chips for the 570/571, why worry, there will always be a refillable printer.

PeterBJ and Tigerman like this.
  2. May 5, 2016
    pixelphoto

pixelphoto Printing Apprentice

Printer Model:
    Epson Artisan 1430
    I have always used Epson printers except for the first ever inkjet printer made by Hewlett Packard. As long as Epson continues to rip off the user with outrageous prices on ink cart replacement I will do everything I can to replace the ink with 3rd party products. I despise greed.

Roy Sletcher, 3dogs and The Hat like this.
  3. May 5, 2016
    videobruce

videobruce Getting Fingers Dirty

I just got done searching eBay for a placement printhead for a iP4300 & a iP4500 and found numerous offerings. NEW in a Canon box! Unfortunately they are all from Asia (China & Hong Kong). The 4500 are 2x the cost of the 4300. ;)

4. May 6, 2016
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House
    These new print heads may not be new at all, and tend to be refurbished so Caveat Emptor.. :eek:

PeterBJ likes this.
  5. May 12, 2016
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    R265, L300, L800, Pro 7600
    I'm just reading an email newsletter that farbenwerk.com has inks and new refill cartridges available for the Epson P800 printer so a major blockage for this model has been resolved.

palombian, PeterBJ and The Hat like this.
  6. May 13, 2016
    ThrillaMozilla

ThrillaMozilla Printer Master

They could put the refillers out of business tomorrow if they would price ink reasonably. They're not going to do that. In the US, by law, they have to allow refilling.

7. Jun 30, 2016
    shotupdave

shotupdave Printing Apprentice

Printer Model:
    Canon Pro 100, Canon 9500 XL
    we may have to go to single use chips and not have the capacioty for resetting. but refilling still be around

8. Jul 29, 2016
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP5200 + more printers
    They are not officially supported in W10, but a driver for an older Windows version will most likely work if installed in compatibility mode for that Windows version. Here is a screen shot from my W10 laptop, showing a couple of PGI-5/CLI-8 Canon printers which were bought at thrift stores. The MP800 was installed using the W7 driver in compatibility mode. The printer is fully functional under W10. The MP500 was successfully installed under W10 using plug and play. The install did not start automatically as in older Windows versions, but took a couple of mouse clicks to start.

Printers W10.jpg

jimbo123, The Hat and palombian like this.
  9. Jul 29, 2016
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    And yet my CLI-8 / PGI-5 MP830 driver file installed the usual way without any need for compatability settings or using Win 10's plug and play following the Win 10 upgrade from Win 8.1. :idunno:woot

jimbo123 likes this.
  10. Jul 29, 2016
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon Rule in My House
    PeterBJ said:
    They are not officially supported in W10

Four of my older printers, Brother HL -1240, Canon i865, iX4000 and i9950 caused a lot of difficulty’s and refused to accept the Win 7 drivers with Win 8.1, but eventually by powering off the printers and USB before a reboot they gave in and installed correctly, a strange things dough my iP4500 which is as old as the rest, installed first time... :idunno