OCP K3 ink set: the secret/solution is in the ...magenta !!!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
OCP K3 Magenta might as well be referred to as MATTE Magenta. Either the Vivid one or the regular one.
Totally USELESS except for matte printing,
That is where this ink set excels at!

Joe

Lothman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
in the meantime I put in two new cartrdges with OEM VM and LVM ink, after 2 cleaning cycles and printing two a4 sheet with a magenta rectangular I still see only a very small improvement over the OCP ink. The magenta areas a still matte on glossy paper.
Any recommendations?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Please see my comments to a somewhat related subject
https://www.printerknowledge.com/th...h-leaking-black-ink-problem.11727/#post-99311
You may test your ink(s) on a different paper and try different driver settings -e.g. a lower quality paper setting like premium glossy instead of ultra glossy. I have seen that all of that has some visual impact, not much but I could see differences with some of those settings. And there is another effect - inspect your prints tomorrow again - drying changes the look. And you may see differences as well between areas with a high or lower ink density/color saturation. All papers today are of the microporous/instant dry type - the solvent goes into the coating but it takes quite some time until it is really gone. That's the reason why lamination directly after print is not recommended but only next day, you otherwise trap the solvent forever under the lamination with adverse effects.
And there is another effect I have observed - the look of prints with almost all inks got better with a gloss optimizer overprint which is not available on most Epson printers except the P400.
I was on the search for the 'best' ink for a P400/R800 and I tested probably 15 or so different ink sets - from cheap, Ebay, aliexpress to OCP, precisioncolors, Conecolor and more. You can measure the gamut and the black level, but when it comes to gloss , bronzing it is all your judgement. The 'best' performing (by my judgement) inks are Conecolor, precisioncolors and 2 budget inks from China, this on those papers I have used for these tests. So I'm covered with inks for quite some time, and any less performing ink will be used up with a Pro7600 printing on matte paper where gloss and bronzing does not matter.

Lothman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I tested 4 different types of paper, on all the same result, magenta is matte. So the invest in OEM magenta did not show the success I hoped for :-(

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
so the only other option remaining is a test of other 3rd party inks. I went off some time ago to do just that with the idea in my mind that Epson is selling a specific and different ink with their R2000/P400 printer calling those inks 'Ultrachrome HiGloss 2' differentiating them from the other Ultrachrome inks and implying a special highgloss performance other/better than with the other inks. This might be true with the genuine Epson inks but I did not see that with other 3rd party inks offered as suitable for the R2000/P400. You may find some of my tests and comments here
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/gloss-optimizer-epson.11174/page-8#post-96139

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You have not had the chance to test precisioncolors' new Ink set for the R2000 and earlier and of course the P400.
Very Impressive performance in all aspects including gloss. So are the newest PCK3HD inks.
Joe

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Yes, the precisioncolors inks are top performing, I got a chance to test them some time ago.

Lothman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
in the meantime I put in two new cartrdges with OEM VM and LVM ink, after 2 cleaning cycles and printing two a4 sheet with a magenta rectangular I still see only a very small improvement over the OCP ink. The magenta areas a still matte on glossy paper.
Any recommendations?

update after a year: It took rather a lot of prints until the old OCP Magenta ink was flushed out. Later (after new profiling :) ) I have good results and a much better even gloss on my prints. So thanks for the hint of swapping the OCP Magentas for OEM Magentas!!!

Currently I'm think about upgrading towards an A2 printer and I'm reading that the Canon Pro-1000 should be a nice machine. But compared to the small costs of autoreset cartdriges form my Epson R3000, OCP bulk ink and M+LM-large large volume OEM cartridge the printing costs with the canan are several times higher :-(

P.S.: Is there an affordable chance to get to OEM Canon ink for the Canon Pro-1000?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
It is not clear where you are located, you may upgrade to an Epson P800 , refill options are available if you are located in Europe, and you may continue with your pigment inks, there are seveal choices; the situation is different for the U.S., the firmware is blocking any good and practical refill option at this time.
If you tend to go for a Canon Pro-1000 you may look for this information, if you want the best consider this
http://precisioncolors.com/Pro1000.html

Lothman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'm also from Germany, the P800 looks also fine and will be much cheaper to run on third party stuff. I read the Precisioncolor Homepage. So 12x autoreset chip are 12x25=300$ on the other hand a set of empty, autoreset-chipped cartridges for the P800 are 50$ an aliexpress...

Is the question is: Is the Chroma Optimiser really worth the extra money? I would like to do prints on glossy paper.

Last edited:

Latest posts