OCP K3 ink set: the secret/solution is in the ...magenta !!!

benBen

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
cls said:
Before I saw them only advertising with 1L wich is too much for me.
now printbox-online.de is also offering 250ml for an interesting price.
Has anybody experience with these inks? Are these inks good, OK or really to avoid?
Especailly the magenta's because the magenta is the problem in the OCP K3 inkset.

So the problem now is not that OCP magenta isn't available coz' it still is, but you dont want that
The problem is that the Octopus T0343 isn't available anymore!

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
Hi ben.. I do have a little stock left on K2 inks for my Epson 4000 and will be ordering or even local pick 7x500ml for my SP4000 I will post it here...

ebay seller 2005imports has CHEAP offers with k2/k3 inks seem to be very professional with rabatte using directly order and paypal payment if you can provide a EU VAT registration nummber he even cuts down 20% UK VAT

other than that i found www24tinte24de also an ebay seller hes offers 9x100ml k3 ink for 90 plus 12 international shipping (approx 100 per 1000ml) OR
9x1000ml for 720 plus 16shipping (80 per 1000ml)

Which country are you from? i am from germany i guess octopus office is trying hard to resolve the issue. but it was for me THE CHEAPEST solution... to bad they went out off supliers

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
OK, I will provide my own personal experience with the OCP K3 ink set, purchased through Rjettek USA.
I am using this K3 set one of my 3800s and on a R2400.
Yes, if used straight, without first profiling the ink to your papers, you will see a problem in color, presumably due to the Magenta inks. Though you will be amazed at how many hues and other colors are affected by just magenta. So it is not just reds oranges and well, magentas.

After creating profiles with the colormunki I was able to produced perfect looking prints from standard images. Black and whites were pretty much linearly neutral as far as my eyes could tell printing through the Profiles created. I do not use ABW.

Now the real problem concerning magenta in my case has always been with the OCP and IS magentas. They simply have terrible gloss properties on glossy and luster type papers and so you have to either overcoat them of just stick to matte and fine art papers which is what I have done with the 3800.

Joe

benBen

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi cls,
Thanx again for your input!
I'm from Amsterdam, Holland.
Both ebay sellers look promising, specially 2005imports looks really professional.
So if there are members who have experiences with their colors...... please post them.
cls I'm also looking forward to your experience on K2 ink.

Joe also thanx for your input. In fact; thanx to your extensive input and that of other members like Pharmacist I'm a happy refiller myself now :)

I'm working on a r2400 now with the OCP inkset except for the magenta wich is the Octopus T0343 magenta.
So far I've printed on calumet brilliant paper with their standard profiles and that gives a really good match with my calibrated monitor. Since i don't have a possibility to create ICC profiles myself I'm very happy with that.
The outcome with brilliant paper and their profiles is even better then on Epson premium glossy using Epson profiles.
Yes there is bronzing on these papers.
I 'm not able to compare it with Epson OEM inks and papers.
I used to have an HP b9180, bronzing was less there with OEM inks.
But that printer had other problems such as pricey ink and high consumption with the daily cleaning cycles.

greetings, Ben

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Ben, first of all I want to tell you that I loved visiting your home town many times while living in Belgium for about three years in the early 80s while working for NATO.

Absolutely some of the best times of my life!

Even with OEM K3 you will see some bronzing as well as gloss differential. In fact I've had to adopt a procedure that was developed by Jon CONE of CONE inks ( inkjetmall.com ) for the Piezography all black ink sets for Epson printers.
They basically use one dedicated printer loaded with nothing but Gloss Optimizer with which you send a newly printed print through it. A RIP will control the amount of GO and will also allow ALL carts to send the same amount of GO to effectively coat the print and virtually eliminate all traces of gloss differential and bronzing.

I converted an old EPSON 1400 to utilize this method.
Look up threads on this on the forum. Search Bronzing or Gloss Differential.

Other than that, yes you can really improve the OCP K3 set by replacing the magentas. In fact if you just look on EBAY for ink for the Epson 4800 you can buy 220ml carts for as cheap as $20. That is what I am currently doing on my other 3800 which I use for glossy and luster papers. So I am using OCP inks and OEM LM and M. Still super cheap to operate and ink costs are not even an issue anymore.

I also made up a Vivid Magenta OCP and OEM hybrid set for my R2880. It could also be used for the R3000.

Joe

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
hi ben! If I get my color calibration profile workflow round and smooth I will be offering "free" profiling service for fellow nifty users..
I use only realy CHEAP photographic papers.. last addition was LabelHeavens A2 Sheets... 100 for 22 ... dont ask me how they do it but they do it...
http://www.amazon.de/Blatt-LabelHea...s=officeproduct&ie=UTF8&qid=1363999761&sr=1-2

Paper it self is shiny and has a strange odor out of the box, so i did let it rest for a while each 20 sheets are enclosed in plastic to keep them "safe"..

I have little deposits of my Octopus Fluids k2 Ink left but runing out of both light cyan and light magentas ... and yellow *urg*

Since no one uses Epson 2100 Photo or Epson 4000 based printer here in forum anymore I have to try one of the suppliers ink.. hoppefully i will upgrade soon to my Epson 3880 and 4880

kind regards

benBen

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Joe it pleases me to hear that you like my home town so much.
My wife is from Amsterdam and insisted on living here. That's one of the reasons I love her :love
Thanks for your input and glad to hear that OCP combined with Epson OEM's gives a good result. That's usefull info!

cls this is indeed incredible cheap paper! I keep that in mind.
As said for the moment I'm pretty happy with my standard profiles but really kind that you're going to offer profiling service. Great!

Lothman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry but I have to dig out this old thread :)

For years I'm using OCP inks on my Epson R3000 und make my own profiles with a Colormunki and use lustre paper most of the time - very happy so far.

But recently I had some portraits with people wearing red/magenta cloths and there the lack of gloss for those reds makes it difficult to view the print.

From OCP I have those inks:

photoblack BKP 202
cyan CP 200
yellow YP 200
cyan light CPL 201
black light BKP 201
Mattblack BKP 203
black light light BKP 200
vivid Magenta MP 209
vivid magenta light MPL 210

Is there a better solution from OCP for the magentas available?

If I follow the recommendations of this thread, hunting for 4800 cartridges, which one to buy?
T606B "magenta" 220ml
T606C "light magenta" 220ml
is that the correct selection? What expiration date is acceptable?

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
since you are doing your own profiles you can use as well the more modern inks - vivid magenta or those HD compatibles which are offered for the Epson P600/800 e.g. by farbenwerk.com or others. I was not happy with the gloss, gloss differentials and bronzing of OCP inks in the past.

Lothman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
except the magenta I'm happy with the OCP set and since I can order directly from them they cost almost nothing (less than 1/4 of Farbenwerk).

So please could anybody give an idea for the large format ink cartridges OEM Espon. Do I have to stick for those of the Pro 4800 or is the ink in the 7880/9880 also usable (T6063) in my R3000 with profiling.

Thanks
Lothar