No PGBK nozzle pattern printed on Canon Pixma MP830

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Here's what I have this time:

IMG.jpg

I think the M bar is fixed now and the BK improved a little bit. The weird thing I have now is why do I have a dull-colored Y bar?! I also noticed that dull-colored Y bar on one of my nozzle check print test pages yesterday but I thought it was just ink settling in also. And why is the color of the two 2nd vertical C and M bars not colored greyish which they are supposed to?

Any ideas?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
2.) Immediately after getting the new print head, I let it dry for a while because it had the protection liquid in it and installed it in the printer.
Did the instructions say to air dry the print head? By leaving your print head to air dry you may have caused your new problems. If so then hopefull you will be able to get back the function. However, the deficits look more like an logic assay board problem and if it is then the printer is bad.

Also, would a deep cleaning help at all?
If you have followed all the other advice then give it a try.

What do you mean by this "A hail mary would be a dirty timing strip (which shows vertical deficits when printing in portrait mode) ?
If you are printing the nozzle checks in landscape mode then it might be a dirty timing strip issue.

At this point, make sure the cartridges are new or freshly purged, the contacts of the cartridges and print head are clean using a lint free cloth or soft pencil eraser, and the timing strip is clean.

The potential that the timing strip causing your problem is low but check it out for completeness. A PDF on the timing strip and nozzle check at http://downloads.canon.com/cpr/software/mf/MX700_TimingStripCleaning.pdf. Although it is for a different printer, the PDF info holds for your printer as well.

Follow the ALL advice from my last post and this post and then report your results. Good luck.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Hmm. Strange. I tried to edit the previous post and it still wouldn't show the changes after saving.

Anyways, your nozzle check image is better than mine in some ways. There is scanning / JPG artifact in the BK on mine. The Magenta has barely perceivable horizontal ink deficits that I do not see in general printing. The rest of my nozzle check is as expected.

In other ways your nozzle check image is not as good. Your Cyan and Yellow look particularly off color to my actual plain paper image. This might be due to paper used, ink used, age or contamination of the ink, scanner issues, or you adjusted the colors in the software controls or using an printer profile. It could be you adjusted your monitor colors but your printer was not similarly profiled so what you see on the monitor dioes not match what you see in the print out.

If the colors are not an issue for you then print something with all the colors (not a nozzle check) and examine your results.

Nozzle Check Nifty.jpg

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
There were no instructions that came with the print head, unfortunately. I thought it was just safe to let it dry for a couple of hours before using it as others have always recommended before to not install a wet print head.

I'm actually printing a nozzle check pattern in portrait mode as it is the default when I initiate it from the LCD panel (without the printer connected to my computer) of the printer. But I'll give cleaning the timing strip a try also.

Oh and btw, I also tried today to use my old print head (the one with the PGBK problem) with the same paper and ink cartridges. I printed a nozzle check pattern and the C, M, and BK bars shown were perfect, really. So I suspect that the new print head is the most probable cause for the issue here.

Right now, I'm soaking the new print head in Windex and see if that makes a difference. After cleaning this print head, I'll try the advices you've mentioned earlier step-by-step. Would a 24-hour soak in Windex be enough?

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Straman, I don't what happened here :( Immediately after cleaning the timing strip (which is very easy to do), my problem got worse:

img2.jpg

What is wrong with this? :(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
A most strange nozzle check. At least your colors appear proper, so that's one small victory.

It is too bad you did not heed what I wrote in post #53 and not done the soaking and timing strip cleaning. Besides the colors, your nozzle check was like mine currently.

I don't know why you soaked the print head but it seems that worsened your issues. Would more soaking help? I do not know.

You can try gently cleaning the timing strip again as it looks now to have evidence of smudges on it - vertical bands of ink deficit.

Every time you do something to you print head or printer your nozzle checks worsen. You have some of the worst luck I've seen in this forum. Hopefully someone else can jump in and offer you advice. At this point you can only go over what you've done and do it again. You've had my library of tips and still no joy.

You may want to consider emailing the seller of your print head and discuss a refund/replacement as the head seems to have been improperly functioning from the start from what you have written.

Last edited:

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Oh no no, this is not because of soaking the print head. I was using the old print head when I cleaned the timing strip. I printed a nozzle check pattern before and immediately after I was done cleaning the timing strip. The before was perfect with the colors but the after presented the same issue.

I tried using the newly cleaned print head and it presented the same problem too.

I already tried cleaning the timing strip and to no avail :( What could be the issue here?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Your posts are confusing and you do not follow advice. This makes it impossible for anyone to help you.

Now you tell us you are using your old print head. I assumed you were using your new print head for the last nozzle check. Which print head is soaking? Which is used for a nozzle check? Only you know.

If others are going to help you then you need to be absolutely specific about what you are doing. You also need to follow the advice given to you or it is improbable anyone can follow what you are doing or you may compound your problems.

You post in the thread and then PM me, then post in the thread, then PM me again all in a matter of minutes. Stop PM'ing me as I asked of you before. Any further PM's will be blocked and I will not even see them.

As I said in my last PM to you, the pin-striping may be due to clogs in the print head. the vertical banding may be due to timing strip or it could be artifact from scanning or creating the JPG of the nozzle check. If you do not see these vertical bands on the actual print out then ignore. This has been posted to you before. I have given you all the knowledge I know in this thread and in the PM's. It is time for you to choose a course and follow it through. Good luck.

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry about that. I did follow your advice of cleaning the timing strip first and see if it does something while using the old print head because I soaked the new print head in Windex for two days.

To be clear, the last nozzle check I printed was the new print head but it had the same exact pattern as the old print head so I did not bother posting the nozzle check of the old print head.

Again, sorry. I won't PM you again regarding this.

The vertical banding in the 2nd C and 2nd M bars are present in the actual print out. I checked the timing strip again and it is very clean. It is highly unlikely that the print heads (both old and new) are clogged because as I've said in my PM I did a print out with the old print head BEFORE I cleaned the timing strip and the colors were perfect.

Can the alcohol used in cleaning the timing strip land anywhere near the optical eye of the print head assembly?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
To be clear, the last nozzle check I printed was the new print head but it had the same exact pattern as the old print head so I did not bother posting the nozzle check of the old print head.

The vertical banding in the 2nd C and 2nd M bars are present in the actual print out. I checked the timing strip again and it is very clean. It is highly unlikely that the print heads (both old and new) are clogged because as I've said in my PM I did a print out with the old print head BEFORE I cleaned the timing strip and the colors were perfect.

It is highly unlikely that a nozzle check showing identical pin-stripping deficits would be due to identical clogs in two print heads. There was a deficit in your PGBK in the last nozzle check which should not be identical in the other print head. But this is besides the point.

If you are printing the nozzle check in portrait mode and the same pin-striping deficits are present with both print heads then the issue is outside the print heads, where exactly I do not know. Since this new problem occurred after you cleaned the timing strip then you should retrace your steps and thoroughly examine the timing strip and all components and surfaces in the area for ink or obstruction and proper positioning/seating of all components.

Maybe a head alignment might help. It should be done when replacing a print head anyways.

Can the alcohol used in cleaning the timing strip land anywhere near the optical eye of the print head assembly?
I do not know. Hopefully someone else can answer.