New technique to clean BCI-6 carts

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I like cjm's cleaning device - He subscribes to the KISS principle. Keep It Simple, Stupid! I always manage to make these things more complicated than they need to be. Here's a photo of the purge device I made recently.
purge_unit1.jpg

It consists of a quick connect adaptor that screws onto the sink faucet spout, 6 inches of reinforced hose, an adaptor to attach to six inches of smaller diameter hose, and hose clamps to secure all the hoses. The red hose is 200 pound air compressor hose material. I used it because Granddad mentioned that his poly hose ends became stretched from the hot water plus repeated use and had to be trimmed down to a place where the hose had not been deformed. The red hose fits tightly on the cart's ink outlet port. It still has to be held onto the cart, however, and Granddad's addition of a cart holder is much better.

After purging the carts Granddad vacuums as much water out as possible and either puts them in the sun to dry or into an oven at low heat as described in his most comprehensive instructions. I added a simple "forced air" system which worked quite well. I left all ports open, rubber banded them together in groups of six, and stood them up in the path of a small room fan for several hours.
cart_dryer.jpg

The carts I purged were a dozen Alotofthings Arrow carts that were prefilled with ink I decided not to use and a set of six OEM carts that have been in use with many refills for more than one year. They all filled very easily and the sponges fully absorbed the ink almost immediately. For those of us who have refilled OEM carts you know that the upper sponge area doesn't accept ink well after a few refills. After purging and drying the upper and lower sponges drank the ink perfectly.

After purging and refilling the Arrow carts worked flawlessly. I haven't used the OEM carts yet, but I'm sure they will work as new. Great technique - thanks Granddad!!

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
I just had a successful the nozzle check after a yesterday cleaning for a stubborn old magenta BCI-3 cartrdige.

I followed Grandad's BCI cleaning method but since I've had no additional equipment at home, I had to improvise. So, I took the cartrdige placed it upside down on the skink beneath the faucet and opened the hot water so that it would drop on the cartridge outlet. I let the water running for 20'. The cartridge was now quite clean although not as clean as in Grandad's photos. I put it in the microwave oven and heated it in four 5'' intervals (waiting time 10' between each heating) to dry it.

I let the cartridge sit overnight and today I used my simple vacuum refill method and the cartridge was filled completely. Grandad's method works very well. This simplified alternative is not as effective, neither as fast (deducing the time from the video posted in the URL above) so I will soon buy the proper equipment and clean up all my cartridges. It seems that I'll never have to buy cartridge again.

Thanks Grandad!

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Panos,

I'm glad that you were successful with your simplified cleaning technique,

A few comments on using a microwave to dry the carts. I have also used a microwave for a total of about 20-30 minutes, but I always put a large glass of water in the microwave along with the carts. This may be an "urban legend", but I have heard that running a microwave without a "load" can overheat the Magentron tube (http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/magnetron.html), potentially causing premature failure.

I run the microwave in 90 second bursts, then exchange the glass of (now hot) water with a cold one to keep it from getting near the boiling point. A US TV show ("Mythbusters") showed that their tap water boiled normally in a microwave, but that pure (they used distilled) water could be heated well above the boiling point because there were no nucleation sites to initiate boiling. When a fork was put into the superheated water, it erupted, spraying scalding water out of the cup. This is a long explanation for why I opt to keep the water temperature well below boiling - just in case.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I'm really starting to notice more and more buildup of little black particulate matter in my yellow cartridge and can only assume that equal amounts are also present in my darker colors. I really wish I knew where this stuff was coming from. I wonder if any of it is getting through the sponge and into my printhead.

Footnote: Mythbusters = BEST SHOW EVER!!! They actually film their shows just a few miles from where I work.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Rob, I started some mass cleaning and I think I have the same problem with some cartridges. Could you post one photo or two of the problematic cartridge?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Panos, Rob,

Does it look like this (from http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1676#p1676)?
IG_Magenta.jpg

This looks ugly, but most of it can be removed by an extended hot water purge. Even if it isn't removed, it can't get to the ink pickup since it would have to pass through the filter to get to the center of the exit port.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Grandad - Yuck!!! This picture could have been used for the dust cover on the book, "The Andromeda Strain." Are you sure your printer isn't playing host to the latest invasion of aliens? Fortunate that all it takes is a good "cartridge enema" to bring the cart back to its pristine former self.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Grandad, mine look different so I'll post my photos later/tomorrow.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Grandad, mine doesn't look like the 'glob' pictures in the other thread, but looks similar to the particulate matter in the pictures posted above.

cartridge_gunk.jpg

Mine are very light particles and easilly suspended in the reservoir if the cartridge is jarred just slightly. I don't have nearly as much as you do in my cart and fortunately it hasn't even gotten past the reservoir into the first sponge.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Here are the problematic ones. Actually I have another problematic BCI-3 black but it looks very similar to the one I'm posting here.

problemcarts.jpg

The other cartridges have been cleaned very well.