Johnnyno3

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP240
I have just joined and am looking forward to the site. I have a Canon Pixma MP240, which I bought second hand off Gumtree about a year ago. The printer so far is ok, but the cost of cartridges is horrendous. I tried cheaper so called compatible ones, but the Canon printer does'nt like them, that it just creates more problems.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
but the cost of cartridges is horrendous.
Hi and welcome, your problem is faced by a lot of other Canon printer owners, that's why you need to do a bit of leg work to find a better printer that can work easier and cheaper and on 3rd party inks.

The previous owner was probably selling the printer for exactly the same reasons as you are having now, the two cartridge printers are always cheaper to buy and costly to run than their sisters printers with mutable cartridges on board.

Refilling these tri-colour carts are never easy, and are just as hard to get decent compatible filled carts also, so the answer to your issue is not a cheap one.

Because the MP240 is an all in one you could try looking on the Canon for a Maxify printer, there are quite a few there that are reasonable in price with all the bells and whistles and free delivery too, they have much bigger carts that can be refilled easy or use compatible filled ones, running costs are very very low..

If your budget can stretch that far I reckon you won’t be disappointed with your purchase because this printer is tuff and very reliable and will last you for years.. Sorry for your problems..

P.S. I once had a two colour printer many years ago and dumped it for something a lot better..

Johnnyno3

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP240
Thanks for that, most interesting. The lady who sold me the printer, also included an unopened cartridge pack of both black & colour, which was most welcome. What I do now is, go on E-Bay auctions for the cartridges. I never pay more than £20 for a double pack, postage included. Had some success, some not. It's the best way for me at the moment.

Latest posts