New Member from Metro New York

Bruce Kowal

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Greetings to all who are frustrated with printers. I shoot film, and it's a toss up as to which provides the most frustration, darkroom printing [try split grade printing for fun] or dealing with my Canon Pixma Pro-100. Yes, you don't have to pour liquids every time you print, but good grief, the way Canon empties your bank account with its self cleaning is just astonishing!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Try owning an Epson printer as a comparative and the Pro-100 is a relief. ALL inkjet printers must have their clean cycles. It's like the old days with cars with carburetors and even today's fuel injected engines. The process of starting from cold MUST waste fuel. It's the laws of physics. So again as a comparison, the Pro-100 will waste ink like a fuel injected engine BUT the Epson will waste more akin to a carburetor of the old cars. Night and Day. Both technologies will HAVE to waste some.

Hey you like film right? Did you even consider the wasted film at the start of the roll. No complaints there right. But you wasted all that film winding up the first few inches. Shucks, nobody whined about it. If you did not preload the film properly in an effort to save the film and the film did not advance. You would not be pleased. Been there. I vowed not to save film and try that foolishness thereafter. Same for the clean cycles and proper printing.

It's a necessary evil but it needs to happen to keep the printer working reliably.