new IP4500 ink levels

jflan

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
stevec said:
There's certainly a lot of information on the EEPROM dump printout. I'm not sure what it all means. Total of 316 pages printed (a couple by me last night). No cartridge changes. I haven't checked the cartridges yet. How do I get them to move to the centre of the printer to access them?
OK, here's what I would do, just to even the score.... (you may feel differently)
Assuming that this is an eBay seller, contact him and tell him that EEPROM is reporting over 300 pages printed.
Say that perhaps this printer was mixed up with another and that you should receive a discount for purchasing a used printer.
If he says no, then leave feedback that reflects the above.

My feedback is still at 100% and I bust my butt to keep it that way :cool:

stevec

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am waiting to hear back from him regarding the printer's newness.
I was considering leaving neutral feedback, with a clear explanation that the seller was untruthful. However neutral feedback does not get put into the feedback equation I believe. I may well try what you suggest though. It was stated as 'only used once to set up and demonstrate'.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
1. If the seller does not response to your request, you can file an eBay dispute after 7 days. Use description does not match what you received according to the EEPROM dump as the reason for the dispute.
2. If the sellers does not response after another 7 days, you will get your refund. You usually will get a response after filing dispute. Ask for partial refund to compensate for "used" printer instead of a "new" printer according to the description.
3. But the easiest way is to call your credit card company to request a charge back. I am assuming that you pay your printer using credit card through Paypal. In this case, the credit card company takes money out of the Paypal account. Paypal will take the money out of the seller account. You get your charge reversed on your credit card.

In a dispute, the bank and the consumer always win. The merchant always loss if the merchant does not deliver according to the description. Good luck.

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You can dispute the transaction with eBay - but you don't get to keep the printer.
'stevec' has a good idea - and the mailing costs are zero.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
jackson said:
You can dispute the transaction with eBay - but you don't get to keep the printer.
'stevec' has a good idea - and the mailing costs are zero.
I agree with stevec too. The first 7 days is the time to talk to the seller to resolve the issue. On the 8th day, he can file a dispute to get the seller to resolve the issue.

Try to get a partial refund from the seller.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Is it worth all the hassle to do all this? If you like the printer, keep it! In my opinion, it is a very good printer, inexpensive to run, and 300 text pages is not very much. If you got it at a low price, so much the better. I would also concur with Stevec. See if the seller will send you some cartridges as compensation. Tell him you know the machine is not totally new. If he agrees to this, I believe you will come out ahead. In any case, you still have the option to pay more and get a new one with full warranty.

In any case, giving very accurate feedback will warn others that this is NOT a seller with integrity.

let us know what happens.

stevec

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The seller has come back stating that he has contacted Canon support and they say that printers are shipped with half full 'starter' cartridges. As three of them are 3/4 full or over I find this difficult to believe. I spoke to Canon and they said that some shipped full some half full depending on who was packing the box. What have forum members who have bought new IP4500s found when they install the boxed cartridges?

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
stevec said:
The seller has come back stating that he has contacted Canon support and they say that printers are shipped with half full 'starter' cartridges. As three of them are 3/4 full or over I find this difficult to believe. I spoke to Canon and they said that some shipped full some half full depending on who was packing the box. What have forum members who have bought new IP4500s found when they install the boxed cartridges?
The seller is pulling your leg.
They come with regular, filled, carts.