My Switch to Maxify 2720

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
On topic again:

I can get a set of empty Canon PGI-2500 carts for my Maxify 5350.

After reading what's told on this forum, I could refill those and switch off the ink monitoring.
Change all carts every 1000-1500 pages.

I am thinking also to transplant the OEM chips to refillable carts.
Since the refill hole is on the front side it should be possible to top up to a (previously marked) level without removing the carts.
Saves on purging.
As @mikling said, a CISS ...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Others have also said they wanted to refill the compatibles while still in the printer to save on extra purges, the OEM trick may work even better than the Arc's but the Arc's won’t reset either if you don’t remove them, so you can still get the same effect.

I am also interested in this method as I started with the compatibles and have my OEM’s still in their plastic wrapper, but it is important not to be too generous when it’s time to refill, this can cause the ink to splash all over the inside of the printer. (Less is better)

I managed with some difficulty to print a couple of test images on Sihl glossy paper, because the paper cassette was set for plain paper I had to use the printer screen to get it to accept the new setting.

Looking at the test prints I was more than satisfied with the output quality, and remember it only has 4 inks, and these prints are archival, but laid against the 9500 prints there was no contest, on a scale of 1-10 this printer came in at a 6, so very acceptable....

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I have ARC carts in mine now and they work just fine, in fact the photo print I did was indistinguishable from the original inks . I have thought about being able to top up with the carts in place but it's very difficult to see the levels on the Black and Cyan even with a light shone on them. If you use refillable carts and have removed the black plate you can power off the printer, slide the carriage to the centre and pop out all carts. Then just top up, switch on again and no need to go through the process of switching on the printer with carts out and installing one by one.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks, I'll drop the idea of refillables with OEM chips.

When the carts have to be removed, I can as well refill OEM's, there must be a reason for Canon to build them with a bag.

As I understood disabling ink monitoring has no negative consequences other than loosing the warranty and not knowing the ink level (no excessive purges etc ...).

There seems to be an ink flow check stopping the printer when the cart is empty.
In this case, how can this message/error be reset ?

Do the ARC's reset to full when changing them all at once without using the printer procedure as @Redbrickman describes ?

How about ARC's on OEM carts ?

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I have not refilled and tested if they all show full without the printer procedure yet, but will report back after next refill.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Arc chips will reset to full again only after the printer declares them empty first, once you have removed them from the printer, on re-instalment the ink monitor will show the correct ink levels, but on individual cartridges only, not as a group..

Has anyone yet tried using a mix of compatible and OEM cartridges, do they work together..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Arc chips will reset to full again only after the printer declares them empty first, once you have removed them from the printer, on re-instalment the ink monitor will show the correct ink levels, but on individual cartridges only, not as a group..

So with the ARC the printer lets you remove the empty cartridge just as with an OEM, you do not have to do the trick with the plastic wheel (or remove the black plate) ?

In that case you either have to refill the cart on the spot, or have 2 sets of carts.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
So with the ARC the printer lets you remove the empty cartridge just as with an OEM
Yes, the compatibles work the same as the OEM’s, except they should still have plenty of ink left inside them when the chips show empty, then remove the empty cart and refill to the correct level, reinsert the cart and the chip once more will show full again.

Beware you’ll get the dreaded purge for every cart you remove, a better option would be to refill the cart in the printer, this will avoid the domino waste ink effect...

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
So in both cases (ARC's against ink monitoring disabled) you refill too early for safety reasons, causing more work and more purges.

As already discussed, we should maybe not be too concerned with the purging given the duty cycle of the printer.
With the MX7600 (the first Canon pigment AIO office printer) I had a 88% full ink pad (and a printhead to change) after more than 20.000 pages, the Maxifies should do better.

I printed nearly every day, but shut down the printer when not in use.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I still have a spare set of Octopus compatible 2500 empty carts (Large) and have their empty weight, Black =49, Magenta =35, Yellow =34.8, and Cyan 34.6 gms.

The Cyan, Magenta and Yellow take 20 ml and the black takes 70 ml, try not to over fill.
It might help when it comes to refilling time... ;)