My Switch to Maxify 2720

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Thanks.

I asked how his Auto Reset Chips for PGI-2500 behave with recent firmware updates on the Maxify (reported permanently disabling the printer on the MB5450 and other 2016 models) and he did not know this problem.
Chances are low indeed that someone with a brand new Maxify will go to a refill shop right away (as we do :eek:).

Octopus Office (among others) explicitily mentions to block reporting to Canon and automatic firmware update during setup, but if your printer already has a recent firmware you're lost.

This is something I want to figure out (and the main reason I bought the previous model from an outlet store).
I'll have to buy the ARC's in Europe anyway.

Thanks for the info Palombian. Please keep us updated if you find out which firmware crippled the OEM, also have if you have a link to the Octopus Instruction on blocking firmware updates that would be very useful ;)

Last edited:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Thanks Strat ;)

Have done that now. Just wish we knew what version they added the kill switch to ;)

Browsing some forums I found that the current firmware version is 1.0.8.0 but cannot find any change info or when each version was issued.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I found that the current firmware version is 1.0.8.0
Good job. That's more than I found in my quick Google search.

Canon does not list a firmware download on their web site. If it is on their FTP site I did not recognize it. Seems they want you to only install firmware updates via the printer itself and not your computer.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Yep, They want to control the firmware tightly I guess, so there will probably be no chance to rollback if there is a problem.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
If we arrive at the point where a non-OEM chip disables the printer, you better refill the original carts and disable the ink monitoring.
This makes you loose the warranty (who cares ?) but you can continue to print.

I wonder if the rumors about a permanent disabling of the printer after inserting a non-OEM cartridge, needing to sent it into service, are correct, and not reported by relativily unknowledgeable users who are trapped in the cartridge change carrousel.

Several refillers won court cases against printer manufacturers for less drastic measures, pleading it is illegal to forbid the use of foreign ink, so I don't think Canon would go so far.

Until now I found 2 errors reported:

5501: (since beginning 2017 on the 2016 MkII Maxify series) after inserting a foreign cartridge the printer is unoperatable and has to be sent to Canon. Inserting OEM carts does not remove the error.

B504: (reported since 2015) after inserting a foreign cartridge the ink flow is insufficient and the cartridge has to be changed
This one seems to be a protection of the printhead, and according to some refillers, can also happen with OEM carts.

For sure such reports scare off enough people from refills (and it is not illegal to let them distribute by individuals linked to the company).

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Several refillers won court cases against printer manufacturers for less drastic measures, pleading it is illegal to forbid the use of foreign ink, so I don't think Canon would go so far.
AFAIK, Canon has not "forbid" the use of third party ink cartridges. Canon will, however, refuse to provide warranty service if you do.

5501: (since beginning 2017 on the 2016 MkII Maxify series) after inserting a foreign cartridge the printer is unoperatable and has to be sent to Canon. Inserting OEM carts does not remove the error.
This code is a bit enigmatic. I read solutions ranging from doing a printer hard reset (turn printer off and unplug from electrical outlet, wait 5 minutes, hold power button down 1 minute, while still holding power button down plug in print to electrical outlet, continue holding power button down for another 1 minute.), to fixing a Windows Registry error, to not a whole lot else. The following link may provide some help: https://translate.google.com/transl...rsand.de/drucker-fehlercodes.html&prev=search

B504: (reported since 2015) after inserting a foreign cartridge the ink flow is insufficient and the cartridge has to be changed
This one seems to be a protection of the printhead, and according to some refillers, can also happen with OEM carts.
The following links describe the error as one of not enough ink in the print head causing the error. It is independent of OEM or 3rd party cartridge use. If the OEM cartridges you insert to fix the error are empty then it will not remedy the error.

http://support.angryinks.com/custom...s-canon-pgi-1200-and-pgi-2200-based-printers-

And

https://www.inkhub.com.au/ink/b504-error-canon-maxify-printers

LumEtters

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP-6968
I'm impressed with mikling's willingness to comment and contribute to this site. My printer doesn't do art, but I saw (a few of) my wife's snapshots deserve blowing up on this Canon MB2720. The photos and printer deserve good ink. Nice to know I don't need more experimenting to find good stuff.

Update: Permission to return sealed carts by LD inks and E-Z ink has been received. No word from DOUBLE2INK. I have a 100ml bottle of their universal stuff that is labeled "pigment".

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
AFAIK, Canon has not "forbid" the use of third party ink cartridges. Canon will, however, refuse to provide warranty service if you do.

This code is a bit enigmatic. I read solutions ranging from doing a printer hard reset (turn printer off and unplug from electrical outlet, wait 5 minutes, hold power button down 1 minute, while still holding power button down plug in print to electrical outlet, continue holding power button down for another 1 minute.), to fixing a Windows Registry error, to not a whole lot else. The following link may provide some help: https://translate.google.com/transl...rsand.de/drucker-fehlercodes.html&prev=search

The following links describe the error as one of not enough ink in the print head causing the error. It is independent of OEM or 3rd party cartridge use. If the OEM cartridges you insert to fix the error are empty then it will not remedy the error.

http://support.angryinks.com/custom...s-canon-pgi-1200-and-pgi-2200-based-printers-

And

https://www.inkhub.com.au/ink/b504-error-canon-maxify-printers

Indeed, the 5501 error is not fully understood yet (or has evolved into something more dangerous in recent models).
Never did a "printer hard reset" as described.
Really do not understand the need to reinstall the printer and other software related solutions.

But even if these measures can avoid sending the printer to Canon, the error will appear again with the next foreign cart, forcing you effectivily to OEM carts.

I'll stop worrying and install my MB5350 next month, avoiding firmware updates in the first place.
As @mikling as @The Hat report, these (first generation) models are easy.
Wait and see.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There is a lot of worry over nothing, trying to beat the system nearly always ends in defeat or in some cases complete disaster, these printers really don’t deserve the bad press there’re getting.

It’s easy to use the OEM carts and they last a long time, then if you wish a good alternative you can switch to aftermarket filled compatibles, and not to be out done there is always ARC refillables, because there are plenty of good quality pigment inks available out there, all you have to do is ask, depending on your location ?

If for whatever reason your ARC refillables don’t work then the OEM carts can be refilled easily and work as good as any other carts do, you may not have ink monitoring but the printer will stop if it runs out of ink,
weighting the carts can prevent this.

lastly there are guys, let’s be polite and called them (Genuine idiots), because they will upgrade their firmware for no good reason whatsoever, and then wonder why they can’t use refillables anymore, it’s happening all the time, I wish these guys could upgrade themselves instead.

Sure, if it’s not broke, don’t Frig with it, a weekly clean and general maintenance will serve all printers much better...

Foot note: if for whatever reason you decide to upgrade or reinstall your print driver then certain important settings will reset back to default again, (Go check) the print driver is in control not you, so please beware...