My P800 is now "chipless"

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
My P800 refillable cartridges can be used along original cartridges and the ink level is shown and drops gradually. I checked by shutting down the printer and fire it up again: ink levels are kept in their last level. Unfortunately they don't have auto reset chip as small as the original chips, so you can replace the original chips on the OEM cartridges with auto reset chips.

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
EDIT - PLEASE JUMP TO NEXT MESSAGE! /END

Now I'm NOT talking about carts modified the Jose R. way to be refilled. You can not reset those. Not?

Interesting.... I think....

As I understand You bought either non oem chips or non oem carts with those chips that DO register ink consumption.
They do register ink levels. (they are not to be piggybacked). They do register ink levels. (Good!)

Now lets say Yo want to do a job with the OEM set because you/customer want original inks. Purge out the pirate inks and do the job with OEM inks in OEM carts after charging. Inkmonitor of cause works.

Lets say You are done with that very job and now kick in your pirate carts again. They obviously show (as You said above) on the ink monitor where they was when You pulled them out. You print on until one is almost emty and fill that cart up.

Good!

Howto reset that very cart?

(I have a feeling I do not understand! Either you have OEM in the printer or pirate inks with pirate carts. Of cause there is another solution - you suck out OEM inks and place them another set of dedicated non OEM carts or buy OEM inks i from larger Epson printer carts ("ink harvesting").

Is it the latter You suggest?

For me it's importent to purge and change ink on the go. Otherwise I have two printers to "nanny".

OR - can You buy small resetable pirate chips with the size of the original OEM and put 'em on carts (OEM) modified the Jose R. way - that also register ink usage... and then reset ' em in some way.(!?)

OK sorry for the engineering rant.

However now I know that pirate chips on pirate carts can register ink consumption.
They just not tell it on Aliexpress.. Anyhow there must be a way to reset after having' em topped up.

OK - You have a solution to use the ink-monitor all the time. I'll drink a half a liter coffee.

My plan was to have two sets of pirate carts made of transparent plastic to be able to check ink levels while I am at the printer. One set for pirate inks - one set for EPSON OEM. (harvested)

Ah.. I should collect stamps instead... :old:oops:

Last edited:

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
STOP - now the coin fell down!

However does the pirate chip not autoreset when You pull out the cart?

If - then I'm back on point one again....

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
My very Conclusions:
In the beginning chips was for monitoring ink levels. However later on it has become a way for the manufacturers to control their ink sell forcing costumers to use their OEM. Ended up with a set of inks costing more than $500 or more for this printer. Also we can read in this forum all the problems with those chips. Do we really need those chips at that cost and often failures? Chips are their invention - not ours. By making carts so You can not visibly see the REAL ink level they further forces us to use chips and their carts.

Now there are transparent carts where the can physically see real ink levels and here a solution where we also can skip the chips. As we anyway often stands by the printer fiddling with papers, maintenance or changing carts etc there is no problems with the habit to also check the carts. The only thing in this chain is that you do not see it on your monitor. For me that's no problem - I see it when I'm at the printer - and that is under/after every print.

I have the choice to revert that - I will not!

BTW - that P800 with roll feeder prints lovely and is like a black 3880 with a backpack.
Also - it's a time saver - in QIMAGE you can arrange all pics on one print and print all the pics in one session and then with my Dahle cutter just cut them out. The roll feeder is a blessing doing that.

And a tip after using this and 3880/P800. Using different quality papers in Epson setup - setting paper thickness is for the paper feeding mechanics and platen gap is for placing the printing head at right high. That is no pizza wheels or head strikes.

Improvements - thinking of taking up a big nice hole over the print head stable to ease cleaning of capping station and the viper blade. Someone been there? ( @The Hat I believe that can not be done in a 3D-printer:plbb and You Canon Pro 1000 owners - where is your roll feeder)

Last edited:

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
@pharmacist I have got the chips as well now. It seems as You can cut those down with a Dremel cutter to physically fit the superior OEM carts and glue them on.

Normally these auto resett when pulled out.
My questions:

1/ Does this chip show ink level in a somewhat proper way?
2/ Do they not auto reset when printer is off when pulling the cart out and then in again - printer still off? Keeping the lid open during that exercise.

If the latter You cold have more inksets - if ink levels are kept when switching inks/cleaners just remembering to have the printer off when switching.

Then a warning for those doing the chipless. Do not rip the chips of the carts without cover the chip hole with gaffa tejp or old chips. If You are not carefull the contacts in the printer might hook into that empty hole.

Last edited:

Brinkley

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7720
Hi Berserk, congrats on the chipless working for you. I too went chipless just yesterday with the brand new WF-7720 also bought just yesterday. But the refillable carts I have from inkXpro have the auto reset chips already on them so I don't really have a way to know if my chipless update is working. I know it uploaded and was confirmed by the printer and activation key was accepted and of course when I open the Epson Monitor on my PC it shows all the cartridges as full and the waste as empty but then it's a brand new printer, but unless I install chipless cartridges how can I tell if the chipless is working correctly? Also do you leave your Epson Status Monitor 3 turned on. I do. I hope my question makes sense Lol. Thanks

Last edited:

Brinkley

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7720
Thanks The Hat, appreciated

DANIEL TORRES

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON PRO-100
Put me down as another chipless P800 user. I went with chipless solutions and it worked like a charm. Ink from precision colors and cartridges from inkowl.

I have a stupid question though...

I guess when it comes to the waste ink tank i don't have to go thru the resetter route. I can just take out the maintenance tank and clean it up and change the "diaper". No need for a second tank to swap out. Is this correct?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I presume that you are in the USA, because it doesn't make sense to go chipless with refillable cartridges that already have a auto reset chip, that works for P800 printer in the EU-zone. Or going "chipless" when refilling original cartridges.