My MAXIFY 5350 is on refill ink

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
My Maxify finally ran out of ink, I had this on my ink monitor for ages, Inks.PNG but then printer just suddenly stopped, and now it reads this... ink 2.PNG Click to enlarge.

The funny thing was the ink cartridge was completely empty, and I mean not even enough to get ink on my hands, so I squeezed ten ml more into the cart and reinstalled it, the ink monitor remains the same with the (Explanation mark.) !

So now I suppose I’ll have to run the printer till it declares it out of ink, for to see if the chip will correctly show empty and or reset ?

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Sooner your Ali carts arrive the better methinks. You may have the one shot specials from Octopus :(
They did tell me though that their ARC chips will only reset after the "Red Sign" as they called it appears, meaning the tank is empty. Obviously yours never displayed the red symbol but was physically empty :(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Continuing this saga of the Octopus refillables, I managed to print another four sheets before the chip gave out and reported Empty (Red X) I removed the cart turned off the printer, turned it back on again, inserted the cart once more and no change.

I can continue to print with the chip showing empty but it’s annoying to see this Feckin Red X on screen every time I wish to print something, at least I can report that this Maxify printer will stop when a cartridge is void of ink, which is a good because it means you can’t damage the print head.

I emailed Octopus this morning, it will be interesting to hear their reply...
Capture.PNG

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I got an update from Octopus...:eek:

They say I got ARC chips on all my carts and only the yellow chip was one time, a mismatch when the chips where been installed, and it’s just a coincidence that it’s the first of my chips to run empty.
Wait for it.... :confused:

They are going to send me a new replacement ARC chip for my yellow cart and if any of the other carts have the same problem they will replace each chip as they become empty and won’t reset too...

The Friggin black has started leaking again and covering the first 5 sheets that come out of the printer...
Scratch one customer, I’ll not be back....:he

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I have found Octopus to be helpful but I think those carts are not the best design. So far the Aliexpress carts have been excellent, no leaks and no contamination problems. Still waiting to see how the monitoring and reset goes.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I’ve received my new yellow ARC chip from Octopus today, it cost them 97 cent to post it out, I installed it and it works perfect as it should, but now my cyan is starting to get very low, so I’ll have to wait to run this chip to empty before contacting Octopus again to send me a replacement, Muppets come to mind... :sick

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
My Chinese carts continue to perform well, no leaks. No sign of any level change yet, I expect it's because I have not been so busy printing and they also had 80 ml (Blk) and 35 ml (colours) put in as the initial fill.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I was away for 2 weeks.
After switching on my Maxify produced noises for a few minutes - without a message about cleaning - and the nozzle check was perfect (I suppose the defects in yellow are a scanning artifact, they are not visible on the original nozzle check with a loupe).

There was no contamination as shown in @The Hat's cartridge test printed in high quality.
The "new model Chinese" carts seem to function correctly at this point.

I printed afterwards a 50p manual with colour images in high quality and some bank statements and observed irregularities in the cyan.
Indeed, a nozzle check showed a near complete loss of that colour.

Next morning the same.
After a cleaning the nozzle check was fine again.

I observed this behaviour in the cyan also with the "old model" refillable carts from octopus.office.de and with the refilled OEM's, this could point to the ink, but it seems to become worse.
It never occured with other colours (from octopus).

It could be a bad batch or a reaction with Canon ink (since I sucked out the remains of the refill cyan ink from the OEM carts).

@Redbrickman: did you observe anything like this ?

Images in reverse historical order.

Attachments

• IMG_20171113_0004.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 325
  • IMG_20171113_0003.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 303
  • IMG_20171113_0002.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 335
  • IMG_20171113_0001.pdf
    87.8 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I have not had any problems with the nozzle check prints since switching to the Chinese carts. I have had some slight colour contamination on a small test sheet after several days of inactivity but the next strip printed perfectly. Will keep an eye out for any further problems.

I print this small colour test strip every two days usually - just one band of colours which I move down the page next time in Word so I can use the same page for many days ;)

One of the members here posted the original (thanks, but I can't remember who to credit). If you search you may find the high quality original , but attached is just a screenshot for your info.

teststrip.jpg

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Got off the phone with someone trying to explain how ARC chips work and people always THINK there are real sensors in the cartridges.
I gotta repeat.....people just need printers that when the ink runs out, they stop, then fill back up and to hell with what the chip says.

Long time ago, I indicated that these machines have sensors to detect ink inside the printhead. I think Hat found out himself that these sensors work. So darn!...forget about chips with these transparent carts. Fill the carts when you are done and top off when necessary and just let the printer run and run till it is out of juice. I think that is the printer we want....this chip nonsense about ink levels which are all FAKE anyways.

I tell you, there are more issues about CHIPS and its related functioning in refilling than ANYTHING else. To Hell with Chips especially Epsons. This is where the Maxify is the hidden gem provided you can get it running like a clock. Mine has.