My Canon Pro 100 won't print large images. Prints only parts of image. What do I do?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
BTW the locking of the service tool to the computer works. I once "stole" the WLAN card from the Celeron laptop to use it in the other laptop that had a defective WLAN card. After swapping the WLAN cards the service tool didnt work. After swapping the cards back the service tool worked again.
Interesting.

1) What do you mean by "locking" the service tool to the computer?

2) Did you need the Wireless LAN card to be able to communicate with the printer instead of over USB cable or is there some other quality about the WLAN card that allowed the service tool to "work"?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
We have basically zero crossover with computers parts or software!
That's the beauty of Microsoft Windows. It can banjax any computer anywhere at anytime.

In actuality, there most likely common denominators with all those affected. For instance, the initial patch was for certain manufacturers printers that were causing BSOD when sending a print job.

I would not be surprised that some common denominator(s) is occurring with the incomplete printing explained on this thread.

It could be certain settings or chip/switch/solder/whatever in the printer or computer motherboard/memory/BIOS/whatever. We may never know.

On the down side, it is a metaphysical certitude that Windows Updates will cause issues for some. The trillions of variations of computer hardware and software combinations pretty much guarantees it.

On the bright side it doesn't happen very often to you.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
When you buy the service tool you must run a program to generate a hardware hash. You mail that to the seller and
receive a code to insert in the service tool which then becomes functional. I think this is similar to locking an OEM Windows version to one computer. Changing hardware components makes the service tool stop working.

The other laptop (Core i3) is the one I use, as it is much faster than the Celeron laptop. The WLAN card in the Core i3 laptop had become unreliable and very slow. I have now found another WLAN card that seems to be OK for the Core i3 laptop.

The new service tools only work with an USB connection like the old ones.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I think this is similar to locking an OEM Windows version to one computer.
Interesting the Service Tool would use the NIC card for authorization. Very nice you discovered! :clap

I think Windows Authorization is tied to the motherboard.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
There is not much hardware you can change in a laptop. I think if I had changed the RAM modules, the optical drive or maybe also the battery I would change the hardware hash and deactivate the service tool. I think the hardware hash was not dependent on the NIC only but on many components of the laptop.

I needed a working NIC for the other laptop so I cannibalized the Celeron laptop. Later I found out the service tool didn't work on the Celeron laptop until I had re-installed the NIC that was I had taken from it.

In the days of Win XP the hardware hash was dependent on motherboard and the components attached to it like HDD, graphics card RAM etc. Each component had assigned a number of points and with the exception of the motherboard you could upgrade a few components at a time if you didn't change too many points.

I don't know how much you can upgrade a Windows 10 computer before it is considered another computer and no longer licensed? Maybe the ID is only the motherboard serial number? Like the ID of a car/auto mobile is the chassis number.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Microsoft has never been fully candid on what hardware changes triggers an activation failure. Changing out a hard drive used to but no longer. Guess they got tired of thousands of people calling them.

One thing Microsoft admits triggers activation failure is a motherboard change.

https://www.howtogeek.com/444351/how-to-reactivate-windows-10-after-a-hardware-change/

However, replacing a motherboard with the same model motherboard did not trigger a failure to activate Windows but a different model of motherboard has for my brother.

It seems certain chip or other architectural hardware changes, such as a significantly different model CPU despite ability to use the same motherboard socket, may trigger new hardware as not being recognized and requiring (re) activation of Windows.

I have read accounts of people having to call Microsoft when authorization failed. A convincing story may result in the Service person granting authorization.