My Canon Pro 100 won't print large images. Prints only parts of image. What do I do?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Suddenly, I can't print large images (from a jpeg) on my Pro 100. I reinstalled the drivers with no change.
Here is a print preview of what is happening. Sometimes the image is half the page, other times the middle in not printed, bit the top and bottom are.
I often print things like invoices at 8.5x11 inches on plain paper.Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Fred
xxxx.JPG

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Suddenly, I can't print large images (from a jpeg) on my Pro 100.
You wouldn’t be using Wi-Fi by any chance, there are so many things in a house that can interrupt the signal, if you switch to using a cable the problem wont exist..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Maybe Microsoft is to blame? An update to Windows 10 has caused many print problems. I also have got the problems with a large part of a print missing, so I have collected links and made a couple of scans as I intended to start a thread about the problem.

A week ago I noticed an article on druckerchannel.de about an update that could cause a blue screen when ordering a print job. I have also noticed a couple of druckerchannel forum posts about the problems caused by this update. See this and this. I would have used Google Translate, but there seems to be a problem with links from Google Translate and druckerchannel.de. The translation works if you insert the links in Google Translate yourself.

I searched the web and found the cure is to uninstall the update causing the problem. See this and this. Microsoft knows about the problem and is working on a solution. A temporary fix is uninstalling the update or make a system roll-back. See this.

Here is a scan of a well known test image printed in A4 format using a Canon iP4300, click to enlarge:

Print not OK after update 2.jpg

The error is independent of the printer used, An HP Laserjet 1018 produces the same error but of course in B/W.

Text files like a Word document and .PDF files are not affected. If I double-click an image and select print from this window everything is normal, but settings are very limited, click to enlarge:

Print OK after update.jpg

I normally right-click an image and select print, this is the good old Windows way which has access to more settings. Sadly this does not work after the update, click to enlarge:

Print not OK after update.jpg

Another work-around is to print from an image handling program like the free "Irfan View". this works but is not as flexible as the "Old Windows method" with the right-click.

I uninstalled the update and every thing was fine for two days. Then windows update had reinstalled the update! I'm now waiting for Microsoft to solve the problem and release a patch/new update.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Just looked in Windows 10 All Settings/Windows Update and saw there is a new Optional update, dated March 15, 2021, that may be for the BSOD printing issue.

2021-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5001567)
  • Updates an issue that might cause a blue screen when you attempt to print to certain printers using some apps.
See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-of-band-6e0844a2-7551-4b2d-9c4b-4274a5949bf3

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
Just looked in Windows 10 All Settings/Windows Update and saw there is a new Optional update, dated March 15, 2021, that may be for the BSOD printing issue.

2021-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5001567)
  • Updates an issue that might cause a blue screen when you attempt to print to certain printers using some apps.
See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-of-band-6e0844a2-7551-4b2d-9c4b-4274a5949bf3
stratman,
I deleted this update (Windows 10 KB5000802 (March) update) as suggested by Peter.
I assume this new update that you mentioned will be included with the next one Microsoft automatically sends out? So I don't need to do anything at this point, since my printer is now working OK?

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I installed the KB5001567 update. It didn't solve the printing problems. I then wanted to delete the KB5000802
update that had caused the problem but now this update was no longer on the list of updates that could be removed. I don't know if the KB5000802 update could be removed before I installed the KB5001567 update.

Instead I used system restore to go back to before I installed the KB5000802 problem update. Now printing is OK again, but for how long? Is it possible to block automatic install of the KB5000802 problem update?

@avolanche did you get printing functionality back after deleting the KB5000802 update?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I deleted this update (Windows 10 KB5000802 (March) update) as suggested by Peter.
I assume this new update that you mentioned will be included with the next one Microsoft automatically sends out? So I don't need to do anything at this point, since my printer is now working OK?
Maybe, maybe not.

At the end of PeterBJ's post is...

I uninstalled the update and every thing was fine for two days. Then windows update had reinstalled the update! I'm now waiting for Microsoft to solve the problem and release a patch/new update.

Here is a screenshot of what I saw in Windows Update this morning:

Optional Update.jpg

T don't know if this update will resolve the issues in this thread, or if it is a permanent fix. The timing of this update and the statement about it for BSOD when printing may just be coincidental to your issues. Then again, it may be for your issues.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Is it possible to block automatic install of the KB5000802 problem update?
Theoretically yes, and there may be more than one way to block it.

If the update NOT critical then you may block it and all other optional updates. However, the following link states this is a security update and therefore may not be optional:

KB5000802 is an automatic security update, which means it has been downloaded and installed automatically for some customers. Users didn’t have a say in whether or not Microsoft should install the update
https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/...00802-march-update-is-crashing-pcs-with-bsod/

The following are links on how to block Windows updates. Some methods block ALL updates and others block non-critical updates. What you are able/limited to do concerning may be dictated by which version of Windows 10 you have installed - Home version is/was the most limiting in what you can/could change.

REcommend read through alll three links. There is much overlap but also some information differences.

https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/disable-update-windows-10.html

https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-automatically-update.html

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10