My best EPSON PRO 3800 seems to have died!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@jtoolman A new Logic board may well solve your problem, but beware because if it was static, that cause the premature failure then this problem could strike again, Via the print head.. :(

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
The Hat off for a good thought!

You can not ignore the when the static Devil hits!
As always - she is underestimated.

bushfilm

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
Coincidentally, I am having the same problem, moved the printer a few feet, moved it back, re-connected all the wires, and now it won't print. I can make it print test sheets, but when I try to print a photograph, it just sits there. I can see the job in the printer queue, but can't start it up. Help!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
does the status monitor tell you anything helpful ?

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Coincidentally, I am having the same problem, moved the printer a few feet, moved it back, re-connected all the wires, and now it won't print. I can make it print test sheets, but when I try to print a photograph, it just sits there. I can see the job in the printer queue, but can't start it up. Help!
This is entirely different from joe's problem. You are probably making nozzle checks off the printer menu itself and it prints....that is good. Very good.

This problem is operating system software related and when you plugged in the printer again, you likely plugged it into another port and not the same one as before. The Operating system installed a second instance of the printer and it is still using the old instance of the printer but the new one is the active one.

Open devices and printers and you probably have two instances now of the 3880.

You have two choices. Before printing scan the available printers and choose the one that is not faded or is active and connected. or delete the instance of the old printer and choose the active one. Problem will be fixed.

Last edited:

astecno

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
My 3800 died this weekend. Same thing as @jtoolman except moving it. I was just preparing to do a print job, turned the printer on and performed a nozzle check directly from the printer. The paper came completely blank, no single drop of ink, nothing. All the cartridges were full, all the sounds were OK, tubes were filled with ink, no error code shown in the LCD. All fine, really.

I cleaned the purge pad and left the print head soaked in the @pharmacist solution. Next day I performed some power cleaning (ink went to the waste tank normally) and even so paper still keeps coming completely blank no matter what. It doesn't matter if printing a nozzle check directly from the print or sending a job from the computer.

This printer has caused me too much hassle from the very beginning. When I tought it was working fine, it slaps me hard in the face. Not sure I'm going to open it to check the board, fuses and this sort of things. I'm really tired of it and honestly my only desire is to throw it through the window.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Does the status monitor give you any error notice ? Can you try and run the WicReset utility from the internet, the status report there which is listed the codes of the last malfunctions ?

astecno

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
Does the status monitor give you any error notice ? Can you try and run the WicReset utility from the internet, the status report there which is listed the codes of the last malfunctions ?

No error in status monitor, no alert, no blip, no unusual noise or behaviour, nothing. Everything seems perfectly right until the paper comes out the printer. And that is what is intriguing. I've reseted the waste tank counter and all the cartridges level inumerous times just to make sure that was not the problem. Yesterday, after posting here, I took the plunge and started opening the printer, initially looking for some ink leakage but I couldn't notice anything wrong. Also, cartridges are being pressurized correctly, so it seems it is not the pump but something else. Usage counter shows 0% usage no matter how big the job sent to the printer, so definitely ink is not being delivered to the paper and the printer knows that.

astecno

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
WicReset did not detect anything wrong.

K8R0wCp.jpg

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
100% exactly like mi 3800 situation.
I have brand new logic board that I have yet to attempt to install.

Joe