My best EPSON PRO 3800 seems to have died!

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Quite the opposite. I had flakey connections with my ADSL modem last summer and I traced this down to exactly what you found. That darn telephone cable. Replaced it. Last fall, things got really odd. When the room was cool, the connection was good. As it warmed up, the connection with the model was bad and inconsistent. I traced this back to the cable again. I got tired of this. Moved the ADSL modem right where the telephone cable enters the home. Directly soldered on a jack to the telephone company wire and then into the modem. Thereafter, the whole house is CAT5. All problems gone. I even gained speed with less overhead taking care of transmission errors, etc. Solder, there is no substitute. I've been soldering electronics since the 70s.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Gees @mikling, if you haven’t got the hang of it by now, you should pack it in…:lol::lol::gig:gig
Yeah. The truth is I have been when it comes to soldering. I have a surface mount circuit board I have stayed away from the last two years cause my eyes can't handle the small components used in electronics these days and I have other things to do like play with printers.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Solder there is no substitute.
Quite the opposite.
Soldering point taken. However, either you didn't click on the link I embedded or you are not a fan of Tom Cruise or the movie Risky Business.

You essentially quoted the movie character's famous line about Porsche.

96892191_o.jpg

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Soldering point taken. However, either you didn't click on the link I embedded or you are not a fan of Tom Cruise or the movie Risky Business.

You essentially quoted the movie character's famous line about Porsche.

96892191_o.jpg

I always loved that line because it is so true.

Always loved Porsches and what they represented.The 914 pictured in the rear hmmm.. lots of opinion on whether that should have been called a Porsche. At some point, I considered getting a used 914 when they were cheap until I heard of the rust problems with that model. Today getting in and out of an older Porsche would require I get to the chiropractor often. Ahhh... the challenge of trailing throttle oversteer. I now like "soft" cars...the ones I detested when I was young.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
This is freaky...I had the same problem with my 3880.... swapped cables, even bought a new one.......nothing. went back to my computer and uninstalled the printer.....reinstalled the original version............BINGO!

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Yeah. The truth is I have been when it comes to soldering. I have a surface mount circuit board I have stayed away from the last two years cause my eyes can't handle the small components used in electronics these days and I have other things to do like play with printers.

I have an electronic parts shop nearby who does this for a very decent fee.
They repaired the logic board of our dryer last year (after I googled for the probable cause - the power regulator - and did all the dismounting/mounting).

Maybe try to measure the voltage on the lines to the print head, if there is nothing it could point to a board failure.

I hope for the best.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Ahhh... the challenge of trailing throttle oversteer.
Had a 1986 1/2 Porsche Turbo 944 like the one below. Fun. Except in the snow.

1986porsche944turbo071712.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
:yuckyuck

One of the best comments ever posted! :lol: